Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:52 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Those songs posted are over 3 years old.
Son De Cali's album with No quiero Dormir as a single came out in 2011... Why are you arguing something you clearly have no idea of what you speak of... My point about these salsa vids wasn't that kids are listening to new age salsa from 2015... its that kids are still listening to salsa that still has the same roots but came out in the 2000s... The old school stuff from the 60s all the way on through the 90s is a lost treasure and you'll probably only hear it among the old school crowds but new school salsa like I just posted is still alive and well with this generation and more and more kids are starting to take dancing lessons to become better at it because they see that salsa takes actual skill to dance...

Whereas before it was more about feeling the music, today its about impressing the girls... Regardless of the reasons behind it, salsa is not dead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
It has always been about impressing girls though...always! Salsa, if not dead, is dying. It's sad but so is the death of beepop. It happens.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
I would go on to say that Merengue is still buzzing, especially the folkloric form. Tipico is gaining traction in DR. Perico Ripiao will have any party moving today in the DR American community.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wanted Pr to win. I stopped watching the game after the fifth inning
You a hater.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wanted Pr to win. I stopped watching the game after the fifth inning
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Please, stop talking what you don't know... I'm trying to protect you from sounding foolish on here... The NYC salsa scene is definitely on the decline overall but Puerto Rican salsa from PR, Columbian Salsa, Cuban Salsa, etc. is still going strong... It may not sound like the classics did but salsa will always be around...
Dominican salsa is the hottest thing out now.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I can't lie when it comes to the baseball classic, I root for DR only cause my boy Robbie Cano is on that team... Even though I hate the word swag and everything it currently represents for this generation of kids, I gotta admit that dude is the purest form of swag waving a bat... I was getting my haircut the day DR was facing Italy and when he hit that home run it was like watching Darryl Strawberry all over again... Such a pure swing it was poetry in motion... He needs to stop playing around with the yankees and get it going because he definitely had a down year this year...

Now when it comes to basketball PR and USA are the only teams i'll ever root for...
Good choice, DR always and forever.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM

Speaking as an actual young latino, most parties play bachata and dembow. These are tops. I never hear cumbia, and other than bachata and dembow, merengue, reggaeton, and salsa get played...with urban merengue being tops. House music is also incredibly popular. The salsa that's #1 on the nyc airwaves is dominican urban salsa, look up clasicom : la tipa le dio pami, and before him, another dominican salsero, alex matos ( si entendieras). But classic salsa is played, it's not nonexistent...it just is no longer popular, partly due to the difficulty of the dance. DJs wont play a genre if no one is dancing

Titua! Quisqueya la bella!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:22 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I can agree with that SuperWario, however I tend to think the parties you attend lean more Dominican, so it makes sense that "Dominican Urban Salsa" is #1. But I would agree with the above.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I would go on to say that Merengue is still buzzing, especially the folkloric form. Tipico is gaining traction in DR. Perico Ripiao will have any party moving today in the DR American community.
Glad to hear that.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Glad to hear that.
You're a fan of Perico Ripiao?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City