Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM

237 posts, read 787,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
OP, what kind of building are you living in? Most condos are fairly new with concrete floor and should not squeak at all.
It is a townhouse style condo. Here is a pic of the outside:

TW Finnerty - Admin Only

They were built in the mid-80s apparently and whoever built them put absolutely no soundproofing between the first and second floors. I am on the first floor, and I was dead set against a first floor apartment, but needed to find a place quickly (damage from Sandy) and decided to take it, each time I went to see it, it was quiet. Once I moved in, the noise started. It's really incredible. Even my boyfriend's nephew said it's way too loud, and he's only 21, and you know no noise usually bothers kids that age. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM

48 posts, read 132,627 times
wE HAVE THE WHITE NOISE machine and swear by it. it really does keep the sounds at a constant, it sounds like having the air conditioner on, the sound of blowing air.

it is the best investment we ever did.
i suggest it.

Buildings these days are made with no soundproofing at all, a shame

Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,246,798 times
I'm curious why their living room is your bedroom. Is it a different floor plan for the first and Second floors?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,710,827 times
ive left notes like yours about loud TV's and each time (3 times over the course of 22 years) and ive had no problem each time

Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM

Yea the upper unit is a three level condo townhouse, and the first unit is a one bedroom condo. So the way they are set up, their living room is right above my bedroom and their dining room is right above my living room. They are all set up this way, I have been in a couple of different ones. Really stupid if you ask me, because people spend a lot of time in their living rooms, so for one to be above the bedroom is ridiculous. Because if I want to sleep late on the weekend, it's impossible to do so because they are up and about in their living room.

Also, it seems they don't leave the house much, so that makes it harder.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,246,798 times
Maybe with Spring here and warmer weather on the way they will leave more. I know a lot of Ny-ers who hibernate and stay in a lot in winter. Fo your sake hopefully thats what they do.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Maybe with Spring here and warmer weather on the way they will leave more. I know a lot of Ny-ers who hibernate and stay in a lot in winter. Fo your sake hopefully thats what they do.
One can hope, but I somehow doubt it. It's two older sons and their elderly mother. That's why i feel bad about the situation, they are probably moving around trying to take care of her, I have even heard her fall down a few times (at least I think it is her falling).

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM

393 posts, read 783,640 times
Honestly, this sort of thing is really common in NYC, especially with older buildings, and the only way you can be sure to avoid it is to rent a top floor apartment. Every prewar building I've ever lived in was a soundproofing nightmare.

Personally, I find notes really passive aggressive. It reminds me of notes my roommates used to leave on the fridge in college instead of saying it out loud. If you have something to say, go upstairs and say it to their face. That, and I don't even think it's going to do anything. I mean, what do you expect them to do if the floors creak? It sounds like you picked a bad place to live, which happens all the time, but you said you are moving out anyway, so you'll probably just have to suck it up until then.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Honestly, this sort of thing is really common in NYC, especially with older buildings, and the only way you can be sure to avoid it is to rent a top floor apartment. Every prewar building I've ever lived in was a soundproofing nightmare.

Personally, I find notes really passive aggressive. It reminds me of notes my roommates used to leave on the fridge in college instead of saying it out loud. If you have something to say, go upstairs and say it to their face. That, and I don't even think it's going to do anything. I mean, what do you expect them to do if the floors creak? It sounds like you picked a bad place to live, which happens all the time, but you said you are moving out anyway, so you'll probably just have to suck it up until then.
I just feel ringing someone's bell is so intrusive. Like I said, these people never seem to come outside. I met one son that lives there quickly about a week ago, I introduced myself. He seemed nice enough but who knows.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,911 times
Leaving a note will probably make the situation worse. You cannot tell someone to sleep/move for certain hours in their own apartment. If you want to suggest they carpet their entire apartment be prepared to foot the bill because if it is not in the lease you have no say in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: