Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,425,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Honestly, this sort of thing is really common in NYC, especially with older buildings, and the only way you can be sure to avoid it is to rent a top floor apartment. Every prewar building I've ever lived in was a soundproofing nightmare.

Personally, I find notes really passive aggressive. It reminds me of notes my roommates used to leave on the fridge in college instead of saying it out loud. If you have something to say, go upstairs and say it to their face. That, and I don't even think it's going to do anything. I mean, what do you expect them to do if the floors creak? It sounds like you picked a bad place to live, which happens all the time, but you said you are moving out anyway, so you'll probably just have to suck it up until then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
I just feel ringing someone's bell is so intrusive. Like I said, these people never seem to come outside. I met one son that lives there quickly about a week ago, I introduced myself. He seemed nice enough but who knows.
Sometimes one can only leave a note as there are neighbors who simply won't open the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM

393 posts, read 783,258 times
Quote:
I just feel ringing someone's bell is so intrusive. Like I said, these people never seem to come outside. I met one son that lives there quickly about a week ago, I introduced myself. He seemed nice enough but who knows.
What does that have to do with anything? I mean they are entitled to be in the apartment for as long as they want to be. If they don't open the door, you can try leaving a note. I mean they are going to know the note is from you, so it doesn't really matter. I've had a neighbor come down once to ask me if I had a ceiling fan that was making noise in my old apartment, and we actually ended up being very friendly. My husband has also spoken to our neighbors here about their loud bass music. I totally sympathize with you because I've had SO many noise problems in NYC apartments from next door neighbors, neighbors above, neighbors below...you name it. Sometimes they are nice. Most of the time they really don't care and already know they are being inconsiderate. In your case though, it sounds like they are just living and the problem is with the building and not them. I just don't think there is anything to be done there except moving, which you are already doing. Look for a top floor apartment that preferrably doesn't share a bedroom wall with another neighbor..not 100% safe but less risky!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM

48 posts, read 132,516 times
Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? I mean they are entitled to be in the apartment for as long as they want to be. If they don't open the door, you can try leaving a note. I mean they are going to know the note is from you, so it doesn't really matter. I've had a neighbor come down once to ask me if I had a ceiling fan that was making noise in my old apartment, and we actually ended up being very friendly. My husband has also spoken to our neighbors here about their loud bass music. I totally sympathize with you because I've had SO many noise problems in NYC apartments from next door neighbors, neighbors above, neighbors below...you name it. Sometimes they are nice. Most of the time they really don't care and already know they are being inconsiderate. In your case though, it sounds like they are just living and the problem is with the building and not them. I just don't think there is anything to be done there except moving, which you are already doing. Look for a top floor apartment that preferrably doesn't share a bedroom wall with another neighbor..not 100% safe but less risky!

i am on the top floor, and my bedroom shares a wall, depending on the tenants, that is just as bad as living below some one.

trust me, i know all about that.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM

237 posts, read 787,350 times
My next place will be a house, for sure. I don't even want to deal with apartments anymore.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Quote:
My next place will be a house, for sure. I don't even want to deal with apartments anymore.
That's blasphemy here. You must want to live in a pidgeon coop your whole life long.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,947 times
You sound very entitled. Welcome to life in the city. If you want to sleep peacefully, penthouses rent at 10K a month.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 AM

62 posts, read 100,738 times
You are so lucky the people above you are just walking!!! Mine argue loudly every day! screaming, cursing, furniture flying around! And i have an 8 month old baby! My Husband have gone upstairs on numerous occasions, we have called the cops and yada yada yada!!! and NOTHING I know everything about them as I can hear EVERY WORD!!! and my baby sleeps in a room under their living room! I swear every time they fight I wish one of them would kill another!! Just so they'd shut up! sorry... ranting.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,947 times
Quote:
Honestly, this sort of thing is really common in NYC, especially with older buildings, and the only way you can be sure to avoid it is to rent a top floor apartment. Every prewar building I've ever lived in was a soundproofing nightmare.

Personally, I find notes really passive aggressive. It reminds me of notes my roommates used to leave on the fridge in college instead of saying it out loud. If you have something to say, go upstairs and say it to their face. That, and I don't even think it's going to do anything. I mean, what do you expect them to do if the floors creak? It sounds like you picked a bad place to live, which happens all the time, but you said you are moving out anyway, so you'll probably just have to suck it up until then.
What if it happens to be a gun nut whackjob who shoots the knocker and claims self-defence. When I was helping someone move, all of us made some moving noises as we were moving heavy items into his apartment. One woman complained by screaming from inside. After we were done, one of us knocked on her door and from the outside said that we wanted to personally apologize for the noise and she shouted she will shoot us from the inside if we don't leave.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica245 View Post
You are so lucky the people above you are just walking!!! Mine argue loudly every day! screaming, cursing, furniture flying around! And i have an 8 month old baby! My Husband have gone upstairs on numerous occasions, we have called the cops and yada yada yada!!! and NOTHING I know everything about them as I can hear EVERY WORD!!! and my baby sleeps in a room under their living room! I swear every time they fight I wish one of them would kill another!! Just so they'd shut up! sorry... ranting.
yea, I know it could be worse. Your situation sounds awful...

Old 03-27-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
You sound very entitled. Welcome to life in the city. If you want to sleep peacefully, penthouses rent at 10K a month.

I live in Staten Island, and I pay $1250 a month for this one bedroom condo. I can rent a townhouse for about $1500 a month, which I plan to do. I am not entitled, just want QUIET. Don't think that's too much to ask and I don't think that just because I live in NY, i should have to endure constant noise. That's just ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: