Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times

Advertisements

This has been touched on before in various threads over the last couple of years,especially the crime problem in the West Village.Many people are in denial and refuse to accept what's been going on and the mainstream media only occasionally publishes something on the topic and it is usually deeply buried,unlike crime in other areas of the city which gets the front page.

This year however,as violent crime seems to be dramatically decreasing in much of the city( so far it's down about 30% from last year in my neighborhood),it is going up dramatically in parts of lower Manhattan,especially the West Village and the stats are getting hard to ignore.

It will be interesting to see if this continues and if the mainstream media ever gets the nerve to really publicize it.

Violent Crime On The Rise In Wealthy Lower Manhattan Neighborhoods: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,939 times
Probably not. Big real estate interests do not want to spook the rich people. Better to sugar coat it over and pretend it is just a passing thing. The status quo says street crime is only supposed to happen in poor and working class neighborhoods.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Default Just this morning.

A man attacked a woman by City-hall. Cops hunting for the suspect.

Cops: Help us find the perv who sexually assaulted a woman*near City Hall* - NY Daily News

Crime is indeed up. Sexual assaults (especially) and robberies have been happening more often.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
A man attacked a woman by City-hall. Cops hunting for the suspect.

Cops: Help us find the perv who sexually assaulted a woman*near City Hall* - NY Daily News

Crime is indeed up. Sexual assaults (especially) and robberies have been happening more often.
Depends on where you are.Crime is actually down rather dramatically in most of the city so far this year.In my precinct murder is down 75%,rapes are down 25%,robberies down 32%,assaults down 45%,burglaries down 35%,grand larceny down 26%.

Parts of Mid and lower Manhattan are where the crime is up.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Probably not. Big real estate interests do not want to spook the rich people. Better to sugar coat it over and pretend it is just a passing thing. The status quo says street crime is only supposed to happen in poor and working class neighborhoods.
This is generally true, that is something that the NYT is very good at doing. The thing is this that with gentrification and nightlife, comes bars, lounges where folks from rich to the poor come to hangout. Plenty of shady characters prey on the more affluent walking around with iphones and ipads, Louis Vutton handbags, and other elitist goods eventually becoming victims of crime. NYT would never publish an article about crime in the West Village, it will bring down real estate prices for sure. To many folks in those hip areas of NYC become victims of rape, robbery, burglarly and assault. In the hood like South Bronx and Brooklyn people have to worry abut assault and murder. Lets not forget that some years back two cops who raped that out of town white chick.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM

10,223 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Grand Larceny up in the Financial District? Very appropriate if you ask me.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This has been touched on before in various threads over the last couple of years,especially the crime problem in the West Village.Many people are in denial and refuse to accept what's been going on and the mainstream media only occasionally publishes something on the topic and it is usually deeply buried,unlike crime in other areas of the city which gets the front page.

This year however,as violent crime seems to be dramatically decreasing in much of the city( so far it's down about 30% from last year in my neighborhood),it is going up dramatically in parts of lower Manhattan,especially the West Village and the stats are getting hard to ignore.

It will be interesting to see if this continues and if the mainstream media ever gets the nerve to really publicize it.

Violent Crime On The Rise In Wealthy Lower Manhattan Neighborhoods: Gothamist
I read the article and the comments posted. West 4th Street/6th Avenue and Christopher Street always felt seedy. I was actually kinda surprised the first few times I went over there at night years ago. A bunch of hood rats that looked out of place. I believe we have both areas labeled as yellow on the Manhattan Safety Map.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 PM

235 posts, read 374,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I read the article and the comments posted. West 4th Street/6th Avenue and Christopher Street always felt seedy. I was actually kinda surprised the first few times I went over there at night years ago. A bunch of hood rats that looked out of place. I believe we have both areas labeled as yellow on the Manhattan Safety Map.
I know. Most of these 'Ghetto' people don't even live around there. They go there because of a few gay businesses that attracts a black clientele. Which is fine, but somehow that is a magnet for the Ghetto ones too and then that area feels unsafe. I am sure a lot of the reporting crimes and issues are these Ghetto people themselves fighting and stealing from each other and the police are call and it gets reported. But most of the area is fine, unless you walk around those businesses then maybe you get caught up with their issues.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:52 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
^ i wonder if they did anything wrong for just being there in your eyes?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM

235 posts, read 374,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ i wonder if they did anything wrong for just being there in your eyes?
Ok... well the crime in the area has gone up. Look at the news reports. So... I guess they have done wrong things. Or do you think is the Upper Class people that live there that are doing the robberies and assaults and not the Ghetto thugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City