Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,725,995 times

Advertisements

I can't vouch for the WV, but in the EV cops have been lax in responding to calls about suspicious activity (people lurking on fire-escapes, selling drugs in the stairway, etc).. Drug activity is definitely rising, dealers aren't as discreet as they used to be when doing business on 14th street because they cops don't seem to be cracking down on that anymore. Unless there's a shooting going down, it seems like the cops can't be bothered to show up. There's also an increase in homeless/crusties skulking around the area in the past few years- not that the EV was ever without such characters, but it's as if the gentrification is starting to backslide (if only the rents would backslide, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times
Plenty of NYU, New School and out of town folks from white picket fenced suburbia want their drug fix. There is heavy drug usage by young people in the East Village.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,047,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLjustLOL View Post
The yo-yo-yo black guys go down to the West Village because the wealthy gay guys that hang out there pay them to have sex.

This is a well known fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Plenty of NYU, New School and out of town folks from white picket fenced suburbia want their drug fix. There is heavy drug usage by young people in the East Village.
Yep, it's the druggie and trolling for men lifestyle that is drawing the crime to the neighborhood.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

That was always the case for that area. People came to the village to PARTY. With that said a lot of places have gotten shut down or busted (a lot of clubs).

There's a difference between NYU and other students getting high and people from the housing projects getting high.

A student has to study and do their school work or else they fail. A working person still has to be able to get to work or they're fired. A drug addict on welfare or homeless could get high all day.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:16 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I can't vouch for the WV, but in the EV cops have been lax in responding to calls about suspicious activity (people lurking on fire-escapes, selling drugs in the stairway, etc).. Drug activity is definitely rising, dealers aren't as discreet as they used to be when doing business on 14th street because they cops don't seem to be cracking down on that anymore. Unless there's a shooting going down, it seems like the cops can't be bothered to show up. There's also an increase in homeless/crusties skulking around the area in the past few years- not that the EV was ever without such characters, but it's as if the gentrification is starting to backslide (if only the rents would backslide, too).
Now why on earth would the cops try to go after every drug transaction that takes place?

Nevertheless, I recall when there were tents cities in Tompkins Square Park. I used to hang out in clubs where people openly snorted coke off the table. You don't have that kind of environment in the EV or WV these days. I know there's a type of person who always wants to say the present is much worse, but I have seen much worse in the village myself.

As for homeless, big deal, you see them pandhandling in midtown, in Chelsea, on the UES itself, etc. Wherever there are people with money you'll see homeless begging for cash. They are often on the subway as well, in all neighborhoods.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Starting about 1970, I have walked the length of Christopher Street more than 1000-2000 times. I know every aspect of the street intimately. As the white gay center moved from the West Village to Chelsea, the WV deteriorated markedly.
Christopher Street has become a very different place with the deterioration most apparent the last decade.

It seems a mix of seedy street people, failing businesses, and elderly rent controllees huddled in their apartments. The only reason to stay is a rent that is just too good to give up before the undertaker comes to call.

I see few reasons to go to the heart of the WV anymore and I am glad I moved out in 1974 before my rent controlled apartment got "too desirable to leave and too awful to stay."

I guess neverending change is the name of the real-estate game in New York.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,061,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
You must mean hipster types buying pills like Adderalls, Oxys, & Xanax. there is definately a double standard with this type of 'drug dealing' then the above which has been gone for about the past 15 years.

I don't know what part of the East Village or Lower East Side (with all the nouveau riche cafes ) popping you are talking about regarding the above. Gentrificiation has been continuing in full force in the current state in that area since the mid 1990s...

And by the projects by Avenue D, there is always a huge police presence.. you can't have the wrong element venturing to trendy parts of the east village (1st avenue west)

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,047,754 times
Well guess what? Their drug dealer doesn't have to get up and go to a job or school....they are already at work...right in their neighborhood. So never mind about the rarified NYU hipster who is so much "better" than all of the "po" and good for nothing pj dwelling junkies. The transactions and the culture is what draws the crime to the area. If you're a dealer do you stay in the hood where you will be stop & frisked waiting for the broke junkies to scape up the money for a bag or do you go to where the junkies with money are so you can offload your entire inventory in one swoop on a Fri or Sat night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That was always the case for that area. People came to the village to PARTY. With that said a lot of places have gotten shut down or busted (a lot of clubs).

There's a difference between NYU and other students getting high and people from the housing projects getting high.

A student has to study and do their school work or else they fail. A working person still has to be able to get to work or they're fired. A drug addict on welfare or homeless could get high all day.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

: smack::s mack:

Dude I socialize with these people from time to time. Hell these people have Dominican and Jamaican drug dealers ship drugs to their apartments from BK, Bronx, or the Heights. One time a couple of Transplant chicks invited me to a party, I witnessed one chick who is Australian and I think one of her parents works for the Australian consult here in the city, yo I saw her pop an E pill, smoke weed, and sniff some coke. Even go to places near the village like Tenjune, people are snorting up in their or smoking weed. E Village is full of drugs and drug users even though. People in the village are not addicts but either experimental or recreational drug users.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Well guess what? Their drug dealer doesn't have to get up and go to a job or school....they are already at work...right in their neighborhood. So never mind about the rarified NYU hipster who is so much "better" than all of the "po" and good for nothing pj dwelling junkies. The transactions and the culture is what draws the crime to the area. If you're a dealer do you stay in the hood where you will be stop & frisked waiting for the broke junkies to scape up the money for a bag or do you go to where the junkies with money are so you can offload your entire inventory in one swoop on a Fri or Sat night?

Chorus: "Hallelujah" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City