Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,464 times

Advertisements

A thread I respnded to earlier made me think of this. Does anybody in NYC truly live in their dream house. Not the extra unrealistic mansion most of us wanted at 16 or the home we hoped for after the realities of your income and future set in at 30. I'm talking about the home you dreamed of at 25. For me right now at 24 that home has about 4 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, 2000 square feet, seperate dining room, nice size living room, 2 stories and decent yard space (maybe .20 acres of land), decent neighborhood (meaning some crime, but mostly non - violent crime). Does that sound excessive? I don't think so, but number one there are not a lot of homes in NYC that has everything I just described and if they do exist we are probably talking about 750,000 minimum, thus making that unrealistic in NYC. Aside from the high class (household incomes over 150,000 in my book) is there anyone in the city that is living in their dream house? If not, is it realistically attainable in your case? If not realistically attainiable, how do you feel about not having a realistic chance of attaining your dream house in NYC? A dream house can include a condo or a coop for NYC purposes. I think this thread will give people something to think about moving forward.

Last edited by ogplife; 11-01-2007 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 03:07 PM

448 posts, read 1,588,401 times
some people dont even live in their dream apartment.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
A thread I respnded to earlier made me think of this. Does anybody in NYC truly live in their dream house. Not the extra unrealistic mansion most of us wanted at 16 or the home we hoped for after the realities of your income and future set in at 30. I'm talking about the home you dreamed of at 25. For me right now at 24 that home has about 4 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms, 2000 square feet, seperate dining room, nice size living room, 2 stories and decent yard space (maybe .20 acres of land), decent neighborhood (meaning some crime, but mostly non - violent crime). Does that sound excessive? I don't think so, but number one there are not a lot of homes in NYC that has everything I just described and if they do exist we are probably talking about 750,000 minimum, thus making that unrealistic in NYC. Aside from the high class (household incomes over 150,000 in my book) is there anyone in the city that is living in their dream house? If not, is it realistically attainable in your case? If not realistically attainiable, how do you feel about not having a realistic chance of attaining your dream house in NYC? A dream house can include a condo or a coop for NYC purposes. I think this thread will give people something to think about moving forward.
you are way off on your numbers a home like this would cost many millions if it was in manhattan, less in the boros. and 150k a year is hardly a large income, most live ok on that but they wouldn't able you afford your NYC dream home

Old 11-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you are way off on your numbers a home like this would cost many millions if it was in manhattan, less in the boros. and 150k a year is hardly a large income, most live ok on that but they wouldn't able you afford your NYC dream home
When you say less in the other boroughs give me an idea of what range you are talking for the house I described since you say I am way off. If you find a home that i described for under that price please show it to me, but please post it, but make sure the home shows the square footage and acreage most NYC homes tend to omit that. I could be wrong I just would like for you to show me if you don't mind. You never answered my question by the way.

Last edited by ogplife; 11-01-2007 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-01-2007, 05:58 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,968,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
When you say less in the other boroughs give me an idea of what range you are talking for the house I described since you say I am way off.
a million + go do a google on nyc real estate you can peruse the listings and get a handle on what nice houses in decent areas cost.

you probably wouldn't find a condo in manhattan of that size for under a couple of million or more

Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
a million + go do a google on nyc real estate you can peruse the listings and get a handle on what nice houses in decent areas cost.

you probably wouldn't find a condo in manhattan of that size for under a couple of million or more
OK I said 750000 MINIMUM. Why did you say I was way off? Anyway I would like to know you're opinion on the actual question.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
No I disagree. You can find a house with pretty much those specs in most nice neighborhoods in the Bronx for around $500,000. If you're willing to be flexible (3 br instead of 4 or 1500sq ft instead of 2000sq ft) you can find places that are closer to $400k. I've seen houses like this for sale in my neighborhood, which is pretty nice.

However the problem with nice neighborhoods in the Bronx is that while your hood might be nice, if you drive 10 minutes in any direction you'll probably be in the ghetto.

Now if you're talking about Brooklyn/Queens, then yeah you're probably going to need around 750k to get what you're looking for. Don't forget, you can get a 3br condo in Brooklyn/Queens in one of these new multi-family houses with about 1,500 sq ft for around $500k.

Not the best looking place from the outside, but here's what I'm talking about: Prudential Rand Realty : Real Estate : NY : Bronx County : Bronx : 2731863 MLS (http://www.prudentialrand.com/propertydetails.aspx?id=617787 - broken link)

or this one

ERA BRONX, NEW YORK Homes for sale - Express ID#2321360 (http://www.era.com/trulialisting/2321360.html?utm_id=20 - broken link)

Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
I looked at some Riverdale (in the Bronx) homes near the Hudson on "maps.live.com", and some of them were spectacular mansions, rivaling the great estates of Westchester County, Fairfield County, Nassau, Bergen, etc. A lot of them were concentrated on one road, forgot the name of it, I'll try to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
No I disagree. You can find a house with pretty much those specs in most nice neighborhoods in the Bronx for around $500,000. If you're willing to be flexible (3 br instead of 4 or 1500sq ft instead of 2000sq ft) you can find places that are closer to $400k. I've seen houses like this for sale in my neighborhood, which is pretty nice.

However the problem with nice neighborhoods in the Bronx is that while your hood might be nice, if you drive 10 minutes in any direction you'll probably be in the ghetto.

Now if you're talking about Brooklyn/Queens, then yeah you're probably going to need around 750k to get what you're looking for. Don't forget, you can get a 3br condo in Brooklyn/Queens in one of these new multi-family houses with about 1,500 sq ft for around $500k.

Not the best looking place from the outside, but here's what I'm talking about: Prudential Rand Realty : Real Estate : NY : Bronx County : Bronx : 2731863 MLS (http://www.prudentialrand.com/propertydetails.aspx?id=617787 - broken link)

or this one

ERA BRONX, NEW YORK Homes for sale - Express ID#2321360 (http://www.era.com/trulialisting/2321360.html?utm_id=20 - broken link)

Old 11-01-2007, 10:04 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,771 times
Quote:
Prudential Rand Realty : Real Estate : NY : Bronx County : Bronx : 2731863 MLS (http://www.prudentialrand.com/propertydetails.aspx?id=617787 - broken link)
There Fedder houses are the multi-family homes that are taking over the outer boroughs. Many of these types of houses are to blame for overcrowding because people who cant afford them live with multiple roommates.

Quote:
These are the typical outer borough houses

Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Yeah those mansions are over in Fieldston in Riverdale. I've driven thru there a couple of times and its an amazing place. That neighborhood can rival the nicest places in towns like Bronxville & Scarsdale. I'm sure the prices have to be really high though to live in that type of neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I looked at some Riverdale (in the Bronx) homes near the Hudson on "maps.live.com", and some of them were spectacular mansions, rivaling the great estates of Westchester County, Fairfield County, Nassau, Bergen, etc. A lot of them were concentrated on one road, forgot the name of it, I'll try to look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City