Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,165 times

Advertisements

Jackson Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,323,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned Ridgewood yet... Solid working class diverse neighborhood... Mainly Hispanic especially the closer you get to Bushwick and then becomes progressively more European but still with a strong Hispanic presence farther into the Queens border... It's similar to Jackson Heights in the sense that its diverse but the diversity tends to be more European and then Middle Eastern as opposed to Jackson Heights which is either majority Hispanic in one section or majority Asian in another... The area has a pretty even mix of Ecuadorians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and a growing Mexican population... FWIW, there's a couple families who come from Chile in my church... It's a pretty diverse Hispanic/European/Middle Eastern area... There really isn't a culture that dominates any specific area...
I agree on Ridgewood. Its my personal pick. Mentioned Bushwick earlier, but really had the Wyckoff Heights section of Ridgewood in mind. Although no reason to pick any part of Ridgewood over the other, all would be a good fit. Maybe add lower Glendale to it, where you still walk to the subway.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,056,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinLady99 View Post
Ooo empanadas, that's a popular one eaten in Chile as well. I wasn't looking for specific Chilean culture; just a nice diverse types of Hispanic besides Mexican. Not that there's anything wrong with Mexicans, but here in GA there's only Mexicans and no other type of Hispanic. People here call me Mexican because they're assuming I just am one
Come to the west Bronx.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM

24 posts, read 34,794 times
Thanks, guys. I'll definitely do more research on Ridgewood. It seems to be the same distance to Manattan as it is from Jackson Heights. Would you guys say Jackson Heights or Ridgewood has more to offer for a young single girl? And which one is safer? Thanks for everyone's help

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,811,908 times
Quote:
Thanks, guys. I'll definitely do more research on Ridgewood. It seems to be the same distance to Manattan as it is from Jackson Heights. Would you guys say Jackson Heights or Ridgewood has more to offer for a young single girl? And which one is safer? Thanks for everyone's help
Both are solid neighborhoods actually... No neighborhood in this city is crime free but these are two options that are thankfully still somewhat under the radar and so rents in both areas are fairly decent... Jackson Heights will probably have more to offer you in terms of nightlife but Ridgewood isn't far behind and it's definitely growing in terms of food options and things to do... Plus, personally I like the fact that Ridgewood seems a little bit more laid back and old school in terms of demographics... It has an old New York type of feel with the butcher shops, and knitting mills, and upholstery spots in random locations throughout the neighborhood...

Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Overall, I'd even say that Ridgewood is closer to Manhattan than Jackson Heights. Plus you are close to Brooklyn from Ridgewood, which has a lot to offer in terms of shopping and food. Both are safe, but ultimately depends on the actual address. As for Anon's statement on old NY vibe, not sure there is a neighborhood that can match Ridgewood (this goes for diversity as well). Most overlooked neighborhood in NYC if you ask me.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Overall, I'd even say that Ridgewood is closer to Manhattan than Jackson Heights. Plus you are close to Brooklyn from Ridgewood, which has a lot to offer in terms of shopping and food. Both are safe, but ultimately depends on the actual address. As for Anon's statement on old NY vibe, not sure there is a neighborhood that can match Ridgewood (this goes for diversity as well). Most overlooked neighborhood in NYC if you ask me.
It's starting to get some shine which is scaring me a little bit... I've seen a few of those rental novices who have no concept of market rate move into the neighborhood... My next door rented to a pair of thugged out looking hipsters who smoke weed outside 11pm every night for 2100 a month... Next to me on the other side, the same style apartment is being rented for $950 a month and two houses down, a neighbor whose lived on this block for over 50 years pays 875 a month... I pay $1100 for a two bedroom... But these folks don't do any research and thusly they seem to dictate the market... Personally, I'm hoping it's just a small spillover from Bushwick because it would really be a shame for a solid working class neighborhood like this one to lose its identity to the generic culture slowly chipping away at each neighborhood accessible to Manhattan...

Old 05-21-2013, 10:42 AM

24 posts, read 34,794 times
Rent sounds very cheap!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Rent sounds very cheap!
True but those deals are very hard to find... Reasonably, in Ridgewood... there's not too many studios but if you find one, chances are it'll run you anywhere from 900-1200 depending on the area and access to Manhattan... 1 Bedrooms will go anywhere from 1000-1300 and 2 bedrooms anywhere from 1100-1500... Some are less, some are more but this is about average...

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
It's starting to get some shine which is scaring me a little bit... I've seen a few of those rental novices who have no concept of market rate move into the neighborhood... My next door rented to a pair of thugged out looking hipsters who smoke weed outside 11pm every night for 2100 a month... Next to me on the other side, the same style apartment is being rented for $950 a month and two houses down, a neighbor whose lived on this block for over 50 years pays 875 a month... I pay $1100 for a two bedroom... But these folks don't do any research and thusly they seem to dictate the market... Personally, I'm hoping it's just a small spillover from Bushwick because it would really be a shame for a solid working class neighborhood like this one to lose its identity to the generic culture slowly chipping away at each neighborhood accessible to Manhattan...
They were probably told that it was still Williamsburg.

Realtor Makes 'East Williamsburg' Stretch To Queens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City