Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:34 PM

145 posts, read 307,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Only people complaining about rent prices in NYC are those who feel a need to live in Manhattan (transplants). It makes me LOL every time I hear a transplant say "eww queens" when Manhattan is literally 20 mins away by LIRR.
Are you on crack? Rents in parts of Brooklyn and Queens are exploding - even in marginal neighborhoods! Some parts of Brooklyn are more expensive than Manhattan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM

17 posts, read 25,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Are you on crack? Rents in parts of Brooklyn and Queens are exploding - even in marginal neighborhoods! Some parts of Brooklyn are more expensive than Manhattan!
That may be true but Jersey city is more expensive than some parts of Manhattan too. How does a 1 BR apartment in Monaco (a place that is by the way full of the 4 people in an apartment situation) for $2715 per month sound?

And this is not even the most recent or most luxury building. It easily goes upto $3000 a month for more "luxury" buildings - and this is for a 1 BR apartment.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:01 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Find a better landlord. Not everyone who owns rental apartments are out to screw people. This is a problem for transplants and I have no sympathy.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM

145 posts, read 307,247 times
Quote:
Find a better landlord. Not everyone who owns rental apartments are out to screw people. This is a problem for transplants and I have no sympathy.
crack - it's a helluva drug!

Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,890 times
cee4, do you actually not know how much cheaper rents are everywhere else in America except SF?

In many mid-sized cities, 1BR apartments can be had for $500. This has nothing to do with "transplants." NYC is expensive, for everyone, period.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
Quote:
I'm sure you'd have more sympathy if you got thrown out of your rent-controlled apartment into the real world and market rates. Mind you, the real world you seem to inhabit where the Brooklyn boom hasn't happned yet and Manhattan is the only place with expensive rates is way outdated anyway

Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,734,981 times
There's no point to coming to NYC if you're going to live in Jersey. If you can't afford Manhattan, like most people, then you just go live in Queens or Brooklyn. There are a LOT of areas to pick from that will have the right mix of affordability, space, and subway options to Downtown or Midtown to suit your requirements

Old 05-23-2013, 08:48 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I'm sure you'd have more sympathy if you got thrown out of your rent-controlled apartment into the real world and market rates. Mind you, the real world you seem to inhabit where the Brooklyn boom hasn't happned yet and Manhattan is the only place with expensive rates is way outdated anyway
I've never lived in a rent controlled apartment even though my parents would have probably qualified long before the current residents of rent-controlled units. I love living in bayside queens far away from the "desirable" areas that transplants love to live in. 15-20 mins to the city on the lirr and I get to avoid the disgusting subways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
cee4, do you actually not know how much cheaper rents are everywhere else in America except SF?

In many mid-sized cities, 1BR apartments can be had for $500. This has nothing to do with "transplants." NYC is expensive, for everyone, period.
So go move there. I am happy to pay my current rent prices due to the networking and career opportunities here.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,734,981 times
Quote:
15-20 mins to the city on the lirr and I get to avoid the disgusting subways.
more like an average trip of 28 minutes, and you have to wait a half hour in between trains during non-peak periods. The ride is nice, but you have to pay for it with a $210 monthly pass, and then you have to buy another $112 metrocard to get around NYC (or in your case not, because the subways are so repulsive to you)

+$210 is probably a good deal considering how much cheaper the housing is in bayside, but it's way too suburban and out of the way for my taste

Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,890 times
Quote:
So go move there. I am happy to pay my current rent prices due to the networking and career opportunities here.
You misunderstood. I'm not bashing NY. I agree that it's worth it. I just think it's pointless to deny that it's expensive, even in non-trendy areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City