Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 03:16 PM

371 posts, read 628,017 times

Advertisements

As someone who has lived in Elmhurst for the past year, I think I would have to agree with it being depressing for the most part. On the upside, I find it to be pretty safe but I would not call it a "very good neighborhood."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 03:43 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,371,974 times
People move to Elmhurst from other countries to find a better life. What some call depressing others consider a dream. For me, I find modern day cookie cutter subdivisions in the middle of nowhere with a man made pond and a fountain depressing. No matter how pristine it appears.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,106,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
In comparison to Hoboken, perhaps ... but - there is a group of arrivals who are exploiting the supposed "realness" of Harlem for their own purposes, to find something lacking in their own lives. This is unfortunate, because teenagers should be encouraged to learn the king's English and to do well in school rather than to continue shunning these in favor of maintaining a "keepin' it real" environment.
For example.
This is America. For the King's English, you go to Britain. What's spoken by Americans of any socioeconomic backgrounds is FAR from any variation of anything spoken in English.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,106,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
As someone who has lived in Elmhurst for the past year, I think I would have to agree with it being depressing for the most part. On the upside, I find it to be pretty safe but I would not call it a "very good neighborhood."
There are far worse neighborhoods in NYC. Calling Elmhurst depressing is just plain SILLY.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:26 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,128,976 times
Elmhurst, where I've been many times, is one of the most depressing and congested areas in Queens. It has few amenities or supermarkets that aren't all-Asian (I love Asian food and cook Chinese myself, so I do like Asian markets).

Where did I ever say I didn't like "hardworking immigrants" or that there weren't "worse neighborhoods in NYC"? I didn't. But Elmhurst is one of the harshest of NYC's immigrant neighborhoods. People are trying to get from point A to B (very hard in Elmhurst at any hour), and that may contribute to it. The express E/F subway to Manhattan is a big plus for young people wanting to get to Manhattan quickly. That's the only good thing about Elmhurst. One of the grimmest neighborhoods in Queens otherwise.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM

Interesting how one of the most depressing and grimiest neighborhoods in Queens has the most profitable mall in the country. I don't tend to associate depressed places as being profitable. Go to Macy's in Elmhurst and then to the Macy's in Downtown Brooklyn. Which one do you think seems like your living during a depression?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:42 AM

@G-Dale. The Queens Mall is at the extreme edge of Elmhurst. It's a hike, and closer (in walking distance) to parts of Rego Park than to most points in Elmhurst. But the SE Elmhurst neighborhood around the mall is charmless, utilitarian and very congested at all times. Elmhurst proper -- around Broadway -- is near the E/F subway and fairly near the mall, true. But I'd rather live in just about any other neighborhood in Queens, even Woodside. Elmhurst is a downer.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:01 PM

19,106 posts, read 12,817,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Elmhurst, where I've been many times, is one of the most depressing and congested areas in Queens. It has few amenities or supermarkets that aren't all-Asian (I love Asian food and cook Chinese myself, so I do like Asian markets).

Where did I ever say I didn't like "hardworking immigrants" or that there weren't "worse neighborhoods in NYC"? I didn't. But Elmhurst is one of the harshest of NYC's immigrant neighborhoods. People are trying to get from point A to B (very hard in Elmhurst at any hour), and that may contribute to it. The express E/F subway to Manhattan is a big plus for young people wanting to get to Manhattan quickly. That's the only good thing about Elmhurst. One of the grimmest neighborhoods in Queens otherwise.
Quote:
@G-Dale. The Queens Mall is at the extreme edge of Elmhurst. It's a hike, and closer (in walking distance) to parts of Rego Park than to most points in Elmhurst. But the SE Elmhurst neighborhood around the mall is charmless, utilitarian and very congested at all times. Elmhurst proper -- around Broadway -- is near the E/F subway and fairly near the mall, true. But I'd rather live in just about any other neighborhood in Queens, even Woodside. Elmhurst is a downer.
Elmhurst is far from being homogeneous in the way you describe, but even the worst parts are no match for some truly, actually depressing neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Jersey, or Long Island. There is also nothing wrong with most of Woodside

FYI the E/F trains are useless these days, they are busting at the seams. I feel for anyone who lives in Forest Hills and can't afford to take the LIRR because the subway from there at rush hour is a really painful experience

Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 PM

@Blake. The E/F subway can be a drag, I agree, but young people coming to New York must take the subway, which is much cheaper than the LIRR overall. It's the reason you'd live in Elmhurst (E/F line) or Woodside (7 line) in the first place. Otherwise, both of them are very unattractive neighborhoods in most ways. You can do better in Queens and in Brooklyn, which was my main point. There are much nicer areas to live in.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I'd say if there was a depressed part of Elmhurst it would be on the extreme eastern side of town that borders Corona, but at the end of the day Elmhurst is Elmhurst no matter what side of town your on. So it still contains the highest grossing mall in the country. Plus it is only 3 blocks away from Broadway, far from what I'd consider a hike. Try walking from 63rd drive, the main drag in Rego Park, and we'll see which is closer.

Quote:
@Blake. The E/F subway can be a drag, I agree, but young people coming to New York must take the subway, which is much cheaper than the LIRR overall. It's the reason you'd live in Elmhurst (E/F line) or Woodside (7 line) in the first place. Otherwise, both of them are very unattractive neighborhoods in most ways. You can do better in Queens and in Brooklyn, which was my main point. There are much nicer areas to live in.
Tell me a neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens that is as affordable, as close to Manhattan and as safe as either Elmhurst or Woodside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City