Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,274,781 times

Advertisements

Jersey City is not cheap unless you want to live in a ghetto area. You can live in a ghetto area in the city too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM

194 posts, read 1,205,142 times
Jersey City is cheaper than NYC? Cool story bro. This isn't news.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,051,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
I may be forced to move to Jersey City soon...I'm going crazy not having a decent place to live of my own. It's ridiculous that I work full-time for the city yet cannot afford to live in it while at the same time ghetto trash can do nothing all day and get their own apartments and free food.
"Ghetto trash" does NOT sit home all day if they are getting cash benefits in NYC. They are REQUIRED to attend a mandatory "Back to Work" program where they must stay from 9 to 5 every day. At least one to three days of that week, they are REQUIRED to do workfare for the city.

So, the LIES that they are just sitting home on their butts doing NOTHING needs to be put the rest as it is clearly NOT true.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 AM

91 posts, read 164,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt00926 View Post
I may be forced to move to Jersey City soon...I'm going crazy not having a decent place to live of my own. It's ridiculous that I work full-time for the city yet cannot afford to live in it while at the same time ghetto trash can do nothing all day and get their own apartments and free food.
That is some outlook on life.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:46 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,689,209 times
Yes no one said you must live on the island of Manhattan but let's also not pretend there are no benefits to living there. One big benefit is the amount of time it takes you to get home after late night activities. This is especially important for young people and those who want vibrant social lives. A lot of neighborhoods outside Manhattan are only 30 minutes away during rush hour. After rush hour when the express trains and buses stop running and the frequency of trains go down, the time it takes doubles.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,893,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Jersey City is not cheap unless you want to live in a ghetto area. You can live in a ghetto area in the city too.
Agree. You can get very "affordable" family-style housing in the NYC metro area but at great compromise to QOL. Usually this compromise takes the form of unaccaptable commute times (JC is NOT 20 minutes to Manhattan in rush hour) or an environment where you and your kids would not want to live.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM

113 posts, read 228,735 times
If you moved to jersey ... go to Union City ... Nice and quiet place .. I was there for 6 years .. I loved it .. and all the NYC buses go down Bergenline ave which is a main shopping strip .. it's like a smaller version of Fordham .. Either there or North Bergen .. both areas are cheap, low crime, and easy access to NYC's Midtown (42nd street)

Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 PM

17 posts, read 25,562 times
It's true what some of the people here say - I used to live in jersey city - now I live in jersey heights and can't wait to get back to the city - manhattan or queens or brooklyn.

Jersey City is not so great. There is newport which is more expensive than most parts of NYC except for some of the most expensive areas in manhattan.

There is exchange place which is cheaper but an isolated place - you feel like you are living in a ghost town. Almost as expensive as newport.

There is grove street which is quite nice - almost as expensive as newport and exchange place but better vibe. Out of all the places in jersey city, grove street is the only area that attracts me somewhat.

Jersey Heights is mostly a dump. Union City (yea I lived in the Doric apartments there for a year) is okay but mostly hispanic.

Most of newport and exchange place (and to some extent grove street) is just a bunch of people with short term visas - mostly IT industry - that live three or four to an apartment. They live in this area for a year or two and move out back to their countries or to different parts of this country. Mostly H1 visas from asian countries.

The school system is horrible so you will notice you either have the three to four people living on short term basis or you have young couples with very young kids and as soon as they are older than 5 or 6 they move out to the suburbs.

And don't get me started on the public transportation. The PATH system is a mess - daily delays and frequently the entire system shuts down. In fact it was down for months after Hurricane Sandy.

And outside of rush hour it's a horrible trek to come and go out of the city. Try getting home at 2 a.m. on a PATH train from the city even on a weekend - it will take you at least an hour (and that is assuming you live right next to a PATH station).

And if you want to take a cab, even though the distance between mid town and jersey city is less than distance between mid town and uppper manhattan , it will cost you 50 to 70 dollars just to cross the tunnel.

These areas are made for people who have very specific needs and I frankly don't know why people would pay $2500 to $300 for a 1 BR apartment in Newport when you could very easily get something nice in queens or brooklyn. Yes these apartments are nice and have amenities that are much better than what you will find in the city for that price (like a pool and TV room etc.) but once you actually live in those buildings you will find that those amenities are either not usable (broken down, too crowded etc.) or you will not want to use them anyways.

I would prefer to move to central jersey (which is what most of the newport, exchange place people do anyways after a few years in this area) and get a nice house than stay in newport or exchange place. That or move to the city.

I am sorry about this rant but this OP does not know what he is talking about or (more likely) he is a real estate agent.

Last edited by medi123; 05-22-2013 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: updated errors

Old 05-22-2013, 04:53 PM

43,843 posts, read 44,621,779 times
Not everybody that works in NYC wants to live in NJ.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,624,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Only people complaining about rent prices in NYC are those who feel a need to live in Manhattan (transplants). It makes me LOL every time I hear a transplant say "eww queens" when Manhattan is literally 20 mins away by LIRR.
Queens rents are still astronomically expensive compared to almost all of the rest of the country. You can get a 2br in most smaller cities for what a studio costs in Flushing or Elmhurst.

Ditto for Bronx, southern Brooklyn.

Manhattan is the most expensive but the whole city is incredibly expensive and this is something our government should be dealing with head-on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City