Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Racism is never warranted.
Exactly. People should be judged on their behavior INDIVIDUALLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,307,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Notice she left the thread awhile ago. You and certain others turned her off entirely. Obviously she's not going to take anything from this thread seriously.

I've seen white women and black men in a number of parts walking down the street. Its common enough that no one would approach anyone on the street or otherwise directly approach someone like this. Ditto for any other racial combination. No one in NYC is going to say anything to you.

Meanwhile, because people here like to race bait, yet no one wants to address the hazards of living in a very poor all black neighborhood. That's FAR more dangerous than living in Bay Ridge.

What's the homicide rate of Bay Ridge verus the homicide rate of Brownsville? Why do I think far more Blacks are victims of crime in Brownsville?

For the record, I'm a gay black man and I've been all over the boroughs with gay men of other races. No one has said anything to me, ever on this. So if this is the situation with me, I'm pretty sure no one will approach the OP. And I really don't give a crap what people are thinking, its their brains and they have the right to think whatever they want. I will continue to do what I want to do.
I doubt that... You are so out of touch with reality that it's nauseating. I guess the harassment she dealt with in Crown Heights was just a figment of her imagination right? The you keep bringing up homicide rates as if hate crimes don't happen in safe areas. Apparently you've been out to lunch with regards to the recent hate crimes against gays in safe areas. In short this notion of yours that she doesn't have to worry because people never act out their thoughts is clearly naïtivity.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,621,142 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, because people here like to race bait, yet no one wants to address the hazards of living in a very poor all black neighborhood. That's FAR more dangerous than living in Bay Ridge.

What's the homicide rate of Bay Ridge verus the homicide rate of Brownsville? Why do I think far more Blacks are victims of crime in Brownsville?
Yea, but I doubt the OP is considering Brownsville as an alternative to Bay Ridge.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,885,293 times
The OP's dilema is that she wants a neighborhood that is educated enough to judge her family by its merits and at a modest price and have great schools and be in Brooklyn. To many "ands" - and this, and that.

It's not gonna happen. NYC is about making compromises if one makes average income. Notice if she dropped the Brooklyn part, she can find a decent and diverse neighborhood in Bayside with an OK school district.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The OP's dilema is that she wants a neighborhood that is educated enough to judge her family by its merits and at a modest price and have great schools and be in Brooklyn. To many "ands" - and this, and that.

It's not gonna happen. NYC is about making compromises if one makes average income. Notice if she dropped the Brooklyn part, she can find a decent and diverse neighborhood in Bayside with an OK school district.
I hope neither she nor her husband would plan on using the train, which Bayside doesn't have. Bayside is way out in the middle of nowhere, you have to take a bus to take you to the Flushing line. Bay Ridge at least has the R train.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I doubt that... You are so out of touch with reality that it's nauseating. I guess the harassment she dealt with in Crown Heights was just a figment of her imagination right? The you keep bringing up homicide rates as if hate crimes don't happen in safe areas. Apparently you've been out to lunch with regards to the recent hate crimes against gays in safe areas. In short this notion of yours that she doesn't have to worry because people never act out their thoughts is clearly naïtivity.
Dude, she stopped answering a long time ago. She left the thread, chased off by your hatred. It shows what kind of person you are.

So if crime happens everywhere, according to you, then she and her family have no problem moving to Bay Ridge. You quite clearly have an ax to grind. Perhaps you are the one with problems of her being married to a Black man, and you're projecting it out on other people.

And for the record, I don't live my life by newsreports. I just live my life, and I've been all over the city in public with gay men of all races and have never had any comments or problems directed towards me. THAT IS THE REALITY OF MY SITUATION.

I have also seen all sorts of interracial couples happily interact with each other in public, and no one even took note. That is also REALITY.

You're the poster who lives in the NorthWest Bronx, but who is delusional enough to claim that Riverdale is not in the Bronx, when it assuredly is in Bronx County according to any and all legal forms, documents, state county boundaries, etc. That's out of touch with reality, but you were in touch with it enough to go hysterical about the ghetto Bronx tours (because you know that Riverdale is in the Bronx).

Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,885,293 times
Quote:
I hope neither she nor her husband would plan on using the train, which Bayside doesn't have. Bayside is way out in the middle of nowhere, you have to take a bus to take you to the Flushing line. Bay Ridge at least has the R train.
No Bayside is not in the middle of nowhere. It is served by the LIRR and express buses. It is faster to commute from Bayside to midtown via LIRR than it is from Bay Ridge to midtown using the R train. It is also close to the Clearview expressway if they prefer to drive. More importantly, Bayside has a higher % than Bay Ridge of people with at least a bachelors degree and is more ethnically diverse.

Bay Ridge of course is a viable option, if only the OP is willing to tolerate the residual racism (it seems like she is not willing). I've met some people of minority backgrounds in Bay Ridge who do and they are fine with it as long as nobody burns crosses or hangs effigies outside their homes. Point is, you can't have everything in NYC if you're working with a modest budget. Something needs to be traded off.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 06-04-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,534,784 times
Quote:
Dude, she stopped answering a long time ago. She left the thread, chased off by your hatred. It shows what kind of person you are.

So if crime happens everywhere, according to you, then she and her family have no problem moving to Bay Ridge. You quite clearly have an ax to grind. Perhaps you are the one with problems of her being married to a Black man, and you're projecting it out on other people.

And for the record, I don't live my life by newsreports. I just live my life, and I've been all over the city in public with gay men of all races and have never had any comments or problems directed towards me. THAT IS THE REALITY OF MY SITUATION.

I have also seen all sorts of interracial couples happily interact with each other in public, and no one even took note. That is also REALITY.

You're the poster who lives in the NorthWest Bronx, but who is delusional enough to claim that Riverdale is not in the Bronx, when it assuredly is in Bronx County according to any and all legal forms, documents, state county boundaries, etc. That's out of touch with reality, but you were in touch with it enough to go hysterical about the ghetto Bronx tours (because you know that Riverdale is in the Bronx).
Yup, couldn't have said it better myself

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM

988 posts, read 3,259,859 times
My wife(Italian) and I(Black) have gone to Bay Ridge a few times and never felt uncomfortable. We got some looks but probably the same as anywhere else.

I know an interracial Black guy(NY native), White lady(Wisconsin Transplant) that live there with a newborn and haven't heard any bad stories.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,339,352 times
Be a pioneer. If they are still perceived as being racist towards minorities or interracial relationships, it just means they need more of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City