Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

This is according to the Wall Street Journal, which is updating news on the NYCHA cuts.

"NYCHA also plans to close 67 community centers and shut down 106 youth and senior programs at the centers. Some 92,000 residents who receive rent discounts from NYCHA through a federal program could see rents jump between $27 and $72 a month. And the agency won’t hire some 300 seasonal workers who help maintain public yards and facilities during the warmer summer months.

We have to do things differently if we want to maintain these 180,000 apartments,” said NYCHA Chairman John Rhea in an interview. “Public housing is under assault, and unfortunately we have to put policies in place that are incredibly painful considering that our mission is to house people first.”

New York Housing Agency Plans Layoffs - Wall Street Journal - WSJ.com

So basically rents will go up as the yards and facilities won't be maintained by the seasonal workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
I'm very liberal politically, but have concerns about immigration as well. A large percentage of people in my Arch office were HI-B visa holders from Asia. At one point, the office went through a significant downsizing, with layoffs disproportionately on the US citizens. Why? Truthfully, the Asian immigrants generally were willing to work many more unpaid hours (late nights and weekends), and I suspect for lower wages (but I didn't know the salaries of everyone). In China, for instance, it's standard to work Saturdays. I understand about competition, but this is a race to the bottom for the American worker, and is an issue in many sectors of the economy.

Regarding the subsidies - I think if people are working full-time, they should be able to afford a place to live. Full-time hourly wages should be able to provide enough money for housing and food. If people are working full-time and still need subsidies for housing, then it is really a subsidy to the employers who does not provide a living wage. Before cutting the housing subsidies, govt. should ensure that wages are in line with the cost of living.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm very liberal politically, but have concerns about immigration as well. A large percentage of people in my Arch office were HI-B visa holders from Asia. At one point, the office went through a significant downsizing, with layoffs disproportionately on the US citizens. Why? Truthfully, the Asian immigrants generally were willing to work many more unpaid hours (late nights and weekends), and I suspect for lower wages (but I didn't know the salaries of everyone). In China, for instance, it's standard to work Saturdays. I understand about competition, but this is a race to the bottom for the American worker, and is an issue in many sectors of the economy. Off topic but...
That's odd. I've heard of companies cutting back on visas due to the added expense of legal fees to support them.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:06 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
That's odd. I've heard of companies cutting back on visas due to the added expense of legal fees to support them.
I'm sure that any legal fees were not covered by the employer in my office.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm sure that any legal fees were not covered by the employer in my office.
The employer does indeed foot the bill. Since 9/11 these costs have increased dramatically for corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: