Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,306,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
N Riverdale was heavily Jewish and Irish when my maternal grandmother lived in the Netherland Gardens apartments from the late 60's to 1989. When I moved to the area in 1991 and was looking at apartments I noticed that there were many Hispanic residents. Many Hispanics I see in the Food World Supermarket on Mosholu Ave and Fieldston Rd. N Riverdale seems very racially diverse at all times think i think it's like about 65 or 68% caucasian.
While I understand that North Riverdale is diverse, it's still a good 65 - 70% White, which is what Riverdale is as a whole is, which leads me to believe that all of so called "other faces" aren't necessarily people that live in Riverdale. I personally think some of these people I see constantly running up here are either from parts of the Bronx OR perhaps Yonkers and we both know that South Yonkers is nothing to write home about. I've even heard some of them mention that they live in the Bronx and then you have kids that come all the way to Riverdale to play basketball. Do they not have basketball courts in their neighborhoods? Just seems odd to me, especially when I see people just "standing" literally in front of banks as if they're staking out the neighborhood. This I've noticed on a few occasions as well and it makes me wonder if that has been at all related to some of the robberies I've heard of in the area. Not many, but I have heard of a few here and there, mainly in North Riverdale.

When I'm in the supermarket, of late I've been seeing people coming in that clearly are not familiar with the market as in they're just passing through for some reason. It makes me wonder if things are that bad in Yonkers and the Bronx or what because it's not like we have fantastic shopping here. We just have the basics... Ordinary supermarkets, a few decent restaurants, so that's what puzzles me about all of these new faces I see about. If it were the Upper East Side or something where you've got great stores then I could understand.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
LOL at you referring to the "Bronx" as if Riverdale isn't in the Bronx.

I wonder if these different looking people were white would there be an issue?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
LOL at you referring to the "Bronx" as if Riverdale isn't in the Bronx.

I wonder if these different looking people were white would there be an issue?
Actually some of them are. I stated earlier that some of them don't even look like New Yorkers. That's who I was talking about.

And no Bronx=rundown and dangerous in mind (except for a few areas like Woodlawn, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Schuylerville, City Island, Throggs Neck and Country Club and sadly even those areas are declining) which doesn't apply to Riverdale. A real shame too because nice neighborhoods to raise families in these days outside of the city seems to be on the decline.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,720,428 times
I work with the mentally ill who live in adult homes, state and city residences, transitional state residences, or privately in Bronx communities with family and it's not uncommon to learn that several have relatives living either in Kingsbridge or in N Riverdale. I've often bumped into co workers in Riverdale who have left our place who live in Eastern Bronx nabes. A girl I used to work who lived in Van Nest (Holland nr. Morris Park) I bumped into who had landed a job at Riverdale Bagels and she was behind the cash register. I asked her how she got the job here and why she wanted to commute all the way here from Van Nest and she told me she knew the owner. I bumped into one of our clients(lives in W Farms) on Broadway and 234th street he told me he was visiting a cousin who lived on Irwin Ave and 234th street. not uncommon. Riverdale isn't that isolated from the rest of the Bronx

Old 06-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I work with the mentally ill who live in adult homes, state and city residences, transitional state residences, or privately in Bronx communities with family and it's not uncommon to learn that several have relatives living either in Kingsbridge or in N Riverdale. I've often bumped into co workers in Riverdale who have left our place who live in Eastern Bronx nabes. A girl I used to work who lived in Van Nest (Holland nr. Morris Park) I bumped into who had landed a job at Riverdale Bagels and she was behind the cash register. I asked her how she got the job here and why she wanted to commute all the way here from Van Nest and she told me she knew the owner. I bumped into one of our clients(lives in W Farms) on Broadway and 234th street he told me he was visiting a cousin who lived on Irwin Ave and 234th street. not uncommon. Riverdale isn't that isolated from the rest of the Bronx
Well your area along Broadway certain isn't but in this part of Riverdale, we're isolated by the hills. I was out somewhere shopping and was speaking with someone who certainly could not afford Riverdale but yet they kept talking about how they were trying to move there which I found strange. It was the equivalent of someone living in a poor area of Harlem and saying that they were trying to move to the Upper East Side. lol

I do notice one thing though... Anytime there's a nice neighborhood, you always have the underprivileged trying to run there and ruin it. It would be nice if more Manhattanites moved here, this way the rents could be jacked up some more.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Actually some of them are. I stated earlier that some of them don't even look like New Yorkers. That's who I was talking about.

And no Bronx=rundown and dangerous in mind (except for a few areas like Woodlawn, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Schuylerville, City Island, Throggs Neck and Country Club and sadly even those areas are declining) which doesn't apply to Riverdale. A real shame too because nice neighborhoods to raise families in these days outside of the city seems to be on the decline.
lol, that's a lot of manure.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
lol, that's a lot of manure.
You would think the days of the Bronx burning never happened...

Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 PM

3 arrested as NYPD seizes $8 million of heroin at 181 West 238th St.

where exactly is 181 W 238th street? in Kingsbridge Heights? it "even" happens in zip code 10463!!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 PM

some people don't realize that Riverdale has it's working class sections and that just because one's zip code is 10471 or 10463 doesn't mean one is priviliged or wealthy. i struggle with that mentality from time to time with co workers. they hear you live in Riverdale or live near Van Cortlandt Park it's like you are some big mystery or secret

Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
3 arrested as NYPD seizes $8 million of heroin at 181 West 238th St.

where exactly is 181 W 238th street? in Kingsbridge Heights? it "even" happens in zip code 10463!!
Some people are so foolish that they would see West 238th street and think that was in Riverdale.

Quote:
some people don't realize that Riverdale has it's working class sections and that just because one's zip code is 10471 or 10463 doesn't mean one is priviliged or wealthy. i struggle with that mentality from time to time with co workers. they hear you live in Riverdale or live near Van Cortlandt Park it's like you are some big mystery or secret
Well only 10471 is completely in Riverdale. Quite frankly Kingsbridge should get its own zip code because they really think they're part of Riverdale just because they're next door there. Anytime I have to provide my zip code I always clarify that it's Riverdale, NY, as I have heard others do when I've been out in the neighborhood.

The only thing I struggle with is being associated with the run down Bronx. Hard working professionals don't want to be associated with a place known for crime, welfare recipients and tons of "housing developments".

Years ago we had a colleague who was joining a bunch of us for a lunch. She lived in New Jersey but when she heard the event was in the Bronx she was afraid to come. Couldn't blame her either. It was actually in Pelham Bay but since she didn't know of any nice parts of the Bronx, she thought it was one big **** hole. Once she got over her fear, she eventually came but it took several phone calls to convince her. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City