Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times

Advertisements

check mate champ good question. geographically, Kingsbridge west of Broadway is still technically part of the "Riverdale" area i mentioned yesterday when i had said it shares the "east-west" with the Bronx but not the "north south". Kingsbridge W. of Broadway is still directly north of Manhattan just as Riverdale is. In Inwood, which is directly south of Kingsbridge/Riverdale, the avenues go from 9th Avenue on the W to the H Hudson Pkwy. these avenues are all directly below Riverdale/Kingsbridge

however, Kingsbridge Heights, which is the hilly section east of Broadway (Heath Ave, Kingsbridge Terrace, Ft Independence, Giles Pl, Sedgwick Avenue, Webb, University, Reservoir Ave etc) is technically part of The Bronx in terms of n-s. you'd have to look at a map to better understand it tho

it also is related to the point where the Harlem River(which divides Manhattan from The Bronx), shifts direction into the Spuyten Duyvil and empties into the Hudson River

Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM

ria elise you grew up in Pelham Bay? did people over there know about Riverdale? I always ask things like this, i was always curious if those in the Eastern Bronx knew of Riverdale or anyone who lives there. I guess it's just a cultural kind of thing

Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
I just read through this whole thread and it made me sick. I too am proud of my Bronx roots and firmly believe it is a major contributant to my success in life. Many of my childhood friends feel the same. When I hear people say they live in Riverdale rather than the Bronx I attribute it to low self esteem. As if riverdale is something real special. It's nice but so are many other areas of the city. Like other posters here I grew up in Bedford Park and am proud of my roots. Riverdale was known as predominantly Jewish and as far as I'm concerned it still is. It's the Bronx and anyone who tries to deny that is an idiot.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 AM

i work in Wakefield with most who don't live in Riverdale. when i am asked by co workers where I live i always say "Broadway and 252nd street, across from Van Cortlandt Park". VC Park goes thru Kingsbridge Heights(Van Cortlandt Park South), Norwood (W Gun Hill Rd) and Woodlawn (Van Cortlandt Park East) so it's not just exclusive to Riverdale

in an environment with indigent people or working with those who live outside Riverdale, i feel it's best not to say "Riverdale"

Old 06-15-2013, 10:55 AM

i don't consider my area(Broadway and 252 street) to be special at all. but if i say I live in "Riverdale" and the other person has issues with envy or is distorted in any way, it will automatically be seen as my living in a mansion on Fieldston Rd and 250th street...when in reality it's just a nice modest place that you would see in Woodlawn or Morris Park

many years ago a girl i used to work with was from Woodlawn. she asked me where i lived and i made the mistake of saying "Riverdale". i should have never said that because i was accused of thinking i was "better" than everybody else when it was this girl who was the problem. she definitely had her issues

Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM

yes i thought the 233rd street and Bailey Ave shooting was very very out of place for that area and also that is a very family oriented area. very disturbing

Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
yes i thought the 233rd street and Bailey Ave shooting was very very out of place for that area and also that is a very family oriented area. very disturbing
Just remember diversity is our strength.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:17 AM

i always turn the corner on my bike at that intersection. glad i wasn't there. bullets flying are basically unheard of, even in the roughest areas of the 50th precinct. and 233rd and Bailey is pretty mellow

Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i always turn the corner on my bike at that intersection. glad i wasn't there. bullets flying are basically unheard of, even in the roughest areas of the 50th precinct. and 233rd and Bailey is pretty mellow
Just goes to show how downhill most of the Bronx is going and Mistertee wonders why we get the police protection that we get here.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:28 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Bailey has always been a funny street, from my own observations, and from what I have heard from family and friends. I think it's because the area is closed off because of the Deegan that areas east of Broadway tend to have a slightly different vibe than the rest of Kingsbridge. And, being below Kingsbridge Heights with long stretches of no through streets, it takes on the thought of a corridor, more than a neighborhood. Granted, it's not a hotbed of criminal activity, but around Albany Crescent, Bailey, etc., the neighborhood has always been different than streets to the west, Tibbett, Corlear, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City