Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
but the view from the H Hudson Pkwy is totally different from what you see from the Deegan. once you get below 240th street on the H Hudson it looks like Atlanta's Buckhead section with all the high rises
A thousand times different. For whatever reason even with the H Hudson right there it's still very serenic and safe. That area around the Deegan is crying out for some development and some sort of rebirth. The housing projects there along with the elevated line rumbling about doesn't help either.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:35 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
hey grosvenor and others, maybe we can answer the original question (what's going on in Riverdale?) with "same as in the rest of The Bronx, only closer to Manhattan"!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
If there is a project on Bailey that explains everything.I didn't know there was one ,which is why I was perplexed.What is it's name ?
Fort independence Houses. It is across from the basketball courts nearly opposite the 234th intersection.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
hey grosvenor and others, maybe we can answer the original question (what's going on in Riverdale?) with "same as in the rest of The Bronx, only closer to Manhattan"!
Well said!

City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2013, 02:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is an interesting question because I never considered it a part of Riverdale.

Not really sure about Spuyten Duyvil either.I always thought it was a distinctly different neighborhood.To me,Riverdale begins at 232 St .
Me neither, but I'm just saying that the only way that it would be "The only part of The Bronx" to be geographically an extension of Manhattan, would be if Kingsbridge was included as part of Riverdale.

To me, Kingsbridge is its own seperate neighborhood, but Spuyten Duyvil and Fieldston are subsections of Riverdale.

On a side note, for future reference, here is a map of all NYCHA-run facilities in NYC.

Quote:
check mate champ good question. geographically, Kingsbridge west of Broadway is still technically part of the "Riverdale" area i mentioned yesterday when i had said it shares the "east-west" with the Bronx but not the "north south". Kingsbridge W. of Broadway is still directly north of Manhattan just as Riverdale is. In Inwood, which is directly south of Kingsbridge/Riverdale, the avenues go from 9th Avenue on the W to the H Hudson Pkwy. these avenues are all directly below Riverdale/Kingsbridge

however, Kingsbridge Heights, which is the hilly section east of Broadway (Heath Ave, Kingsbridge Terrace, Ft Independence, Giles Pl, Sedgwick Avenue, Webb, University, Reservoir Ave etc) is technically part of The Bronx in terms of n-s. you'd have to look at a map to better understand it tho
Nah, I know what you're talking about. I was only referring to Kingsbridge itself, west of the Deegan.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:47 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
Kingsbridge along Broadway is basically an extension of Inwood, Manhattan. except when you go west it becomes somewhat more "suburbanized" with the small houses.

once you're east of Sedgwick Avenue around the bottom of the JP Reservoir or go past De Witt Clinton HS at the top of the reservoir, youre leaving of the "Riverdale/Kingsbridge" area

Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,281 times
Quote:
Ha! Very cute.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:20 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Me neither, but I'm just saying that the only way that it would be "The only part of The Bronx" to be geographically an extension of Manhattan, would be if Kingsbridge was included as part of Riverdale.

To me, Kingsbridge is its own seperate neighborhood, but Spuyten Duyvil and Fieldston are subsections of Riverdale.

On a side note, for future reference, here is a map of all NYCHA-run facilities in NYC.

Nah, I know what you're talking about. I was only referring to Kingsbridge itself, west of the Deegan.
I agree 100%. Spuyten Duyvil aka the spitting Devil and Fieldston are areas within Riverdale. As the Mod said, Fieldston is a association within Riverdale. Once a year they close the streets to just actual Fieldston residents. Let's say their is a crime or a fire there. The 5-0Pct responds and Engine 52 of the FDNY responds. They do have their own sanitation there.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:02 PM

And private security patrols in Fieldston, too, supplementing NYPD protection.

City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2013, 05:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
While I understand that North Riverdale is diverse, it's still a good 65 - 70% White, which is what Riverdale is as a whole is, which leads me to believe that all of so called "other faces" aren't necessarily people that live in Riverdale. I personally think some of these people I see constantly running up here are either from parts of the Bronx OR perhaps Yonkers and we both know that South Yonkers is nothing to write home about. I've even heard some of them mention that they live in the Bronx and then you have kids that come all the way to Riverdale to play basketball. Do they not have basketball courts in their neighborhoods? Just seems odd to me, especially when I see people just "standing" literally in front of banks as if they're staking out the neighborhood. This I've noticed on a few occasions as well and it makes me wonder if that has been at all related to some of the robberies I've heard of in the area. Not many, but I have heard of a few here and there, mainly in North Riverdale.

When I'm in the supermarket, of late I've been seeing people coming in that clearly are not familiar with the market as in they're just passing through for some reason. It makes me wonder if things are that bad in Yonkers and the Bronx or what because it's not like we have fantastic shopping here. We just have the basics... Ordinary supermarkets, a few decent restaurants, so that's what puzzles me about all of these new faces I see about. If it were the Upper East Side or something where you've got great stores then I could understand.

Why does it puzzle you? People go all over the city, and all over the metro area? I've eaten at restaurants and gone to bars in 4 out of 5 boroughs, NJ, Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk. Frankly, I don't see why you care who these people are or where they are from. Its so whatever.

And people do have friends or relatives all over town, so if they don't live in Riverdale, they may be visiting friends or relatives.

But a lot of this is your assumption. You have no idea where they live unless you stop and ask them, and they tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.