Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 03:59 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Thanks for the wikipedia link and all but as I said before, it's a wrong that many of us refuse to correct. I could never imagine anyone saying I live in a mansion in the Bronx (urban decay and poverty). lol I live in a mansion in Riverdale (upper middle class neighborhood). Now that sounds better.
This should put the delirium to rest. Riverdale is in the Bronx, no matter how you want to see it:

City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

When that jury duty notice comes your way, you will be on 161st Street with everybody else. So stop it. And start taking pride that you live in the Bronx, home of the greatest team in baseball and the birthplace of hip hop. I myself have a fond spot for the corner of Creston Avenue and East 184th Street. Good times. Hell, I even lost my virginity in sweet Riverdale. LOL

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I was serving jury duty 3 years ago and i was going back home in the 161 street station on the elevator up to the 4 train. a sweet older African American woman was smiling at me and asked me "so where are you off to, Woodlawn?".

I thought that was cute...

Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I'm gonna guess your not a Bronx native or NYC native? I'm saddened by what's happened in my old hood but I'm not ashamed to tell people that I'm a X Bedford park slug. I can't tell you how many people are full of pride from their old days down Tolentine or HighBridge. Check out Bronx Clothing line? See what images they put on their clothes? BTW the owner is a proud BX guy!
I'm not ashamed to tell people that I was born and raised in the Bronx either. Every year when I come up to visit, when that cab takes me from LaGuardia across the Triboro, I'm back home again. My childhood neighborhood changed a little since I was growing up, but it is still good and I'm so grateful for my mom and my grandmother for working hard so that I was raised in a nice neighborhood and attended great schools. Their hard work wasn't wasted on me and helped build a foundation for who I am today.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm not ashamed to tell people that I was born and raised in the Bronx either. Every year when I come up to visit, when that cab takes me from LaGuardia across the Triboro, I'm back home again. My childhood neighborhood changed a little since I was growing up, but it is still good and I'm so grateful for my mom and my grandmother for working hard so that I was raised in a nice neighborhood and attended great schools. Their hard work wasn't wasted on me and helped build a foundation for who I am today.
No, BUT ur a TEXAN!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Here's the face I couldn't find it.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Riverdale is part of the Bronx in terms of from east to west, but not from north to south. then, geographically speaking, it is like the northern extension of Manhattan.

except for Riverdale, no part of the Bronx extends west of the Harlem River or north of Inwood
Are you counting Kingsbridge as part of Riverdale?

Old 06-15-2013, 04:53 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Are you counting Kingsbridge as part of Riverdale?
This is an interesting question because I never considered it a part of Riverdale.

Not really sure about Spuyten Duyvil either.I always thought it was a distinctly different neighborhood.To me,Riverdale begins at 232 St .

I even know someone who lives in Fieldston who insists that Fieldston isn't a part of Riverdale and that it includes only the streets within the private association ,even though everyone on the periphery wants to think they live in Fieldston too.

Interestingly,the map posted by seventh indicates that the city also officially considers the area as 6 totally distinct neighborhoods,not one neighborhood.

And speaking of Kingsbridge,what is happening there ? Seems like for the last few months there is almost a daily barrage of reports on News12 of weird home invasions,robberies,drug busts and shootings happening there and most of them are happening in what is generally considered a decent area,the more northern part of Kingsbridge.Got to be some kind of all out gang war going on there.

Here is the latest incident:http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...bi4aMxhYFkuRgJ

Usually when there is so much action concentrated in a small area there is a project nearby but I don't think there are any around there.Weird.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-15-2013 at 05:44 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is an interesting question because I never considered it a part of Riverdale.

Not really sure about Spuyten Duyvil either.I always thought it was a distinctly different neighborhood.To me,Riverdale begins at 232 St .

I even know someone who lives in Fieldston who insists that Fieldston isn't a part of Riverdale and that it includes only the streets within the private association ,even though everyone on the periphery wants to think they live in Fieldston too.

Interestingly,the map posted by seventh indicates that the city also officially considers the area as 6 totally distinct neighborhoods,not one neighborhood.

And speaking of Kingsbridge,what is happening there ? Seems like for the last few months there is almost a daily barrage of reports on News12 of weird home invasions,robberies,drug busts and shootings happening there and most of them are happening in what is generally considered a decent area,the more northern part of Kingsbridge.Got to be some kind of all out gang war going on there.

Here is the latest incident:Child wounded in Bronx shooting - NYPOST.com

Usually when there is so much action concentrated in a small area there is a project nearby but I don't think there are any around there.Weird.
I have heard this as well. What do they put for the mailing address? Surely not the Bronx?

As for what is Riverdale and where the boundaries lie, it seems as if this can vary from person to person. I do feel as if each area has a distinct feel. Fieldston is very different from Riverdale, as is North Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil.

What is interesting to me is there is even a certain level of snobbery in North Riverdale, which I find amusing. I know of one middle aged couple in the Skyview complex. They're very hoity-toity and that part of Riverdale is not nearly as well-to-do as Fieldston, Central Riverdale or parts of Spuyten Duyvil. They very proudly put Riverdale, NY 10471 for all mail correspondences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I was serving jury duty 3 years ago and i was going back home in the 161 street station on the elevator up to the 4 train. a sweet older African American woman was smiling at me and asked me "so where are you off to, Woodlawn?".

I thought that was cute...
Ha! Very cute.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:48 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I have heard this as well. What do they put for the mailing address? Surely not the Bronx?
Fieldston is technically the association, but the confusion is over Fieldston Road, such that people tend to use the name to describe the general area. There are people in the association do use Bronx, NY as the mailing address, as I can personally confirm. People in the know don't need to be reminded that Riverdale exists, as it has for several generations now, since it split from what was the Town of Kingsbridge when the railroad station opened (Riverdale-on-Hudson).

I know someone who says "I live in The Bronx," and when people ask where, there is a vague reference to the area "a stone's throw from Horace Mann." If they are clueless, there's no need to go into further detail. If they know the area, they may say "Oh, Riverdale is lovely," when it is described in that way; followed by a generic "Yes," not a correction to say "I live in Fieldston or off Palisade." And, people usually do not specify housing type so as to say "I live in a mansion..." when they happen to live in a single-family home that some may consider mansions, unless they are very nouveau riche or insecure.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Fieldston is technically the association, but the confusion is over Fieldston Road, such that people tend to use the name to describe the general area. There are people in the association do use Bronx, NY as the mailing address, as I can personally confirm. People in the know don't need to be reminded that Riverdale exists, as it has for several generations now, since it split from what was the Town of Kingsbridge when the railroad station opened (Riverdale-on-Hudson).

I know someone who says "I live in The Bronx," and when people ask where, there is a vague reference to the area "a stone's throw from Horace Mann." If they are clueless, there's no need to go into further detail. If they know the area, they may say "Oh, Riverdale is lovely," when it is described in that way; followed by a generic "Yes," not a correction to say "I live in Fieldston or off Palisade." And, people usually do not specify housing type so as to say "I live in a mansion..." when they happen to live in a single-family home that some may consider mansions, unless they are very nouveau riche or insecure.
I've been here for a while (several years) and when people ask I simply say Riverdale as most people in the area do. Though I am around the Fieldston area, I wouldn't say Fieldston because I think of the entire area as being part of Riverdale, though they all have their distinct feel and vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City