Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Riverdale is part of the Bronx in terms of from east to west, but not from north to south. then, geographically speaking, it is like the northern extension of Manhattan.

except for Riverdale, no part of the Bronx extends west of the Harlem River or north of Inwood
That's right. That's why people started using NoMA (North of Manhattan). Thank God it never stuck.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Hey they have Riverdale, NY as their address and they talk about the Riverdale section of New York City. What can I say.... Thousands of us Riverdalians have it all wrong, but I think it's a "wrong" that we don't want to make right anytime soon.
I'll have to call them. Riverdale, is 100% part of the Bronx. I thought you were busting chops? I hope you are. I lived in Riverdale for a few years. I like the area and still have 2 buddies who own bars there. It's like the debate I've heard over beers. Person A thinks Fordham Rd is the South bronx. Person b expalining just because demographics and economics have changed that doesn't mean Fordham rd is the South Bronx. BTW never take a Realtors name for what they coin an area. Ever deal with a broker from Manhattan? Their all transplants! Clinton Hill aka Hells Kitchen. Hudson Heights aka Washington heights. I live in upper Belle harbor??? What???? Belle harbor is Belle harbor.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
That's right. That's why people started using NoMA (North of Manhattan). Thank God it never stuck.
NomA?????? Thank God!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Riverdale, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Thanks for the wikipedia link and all but as I said before, it's a wrong that many of us refuse to correct. I could never imagine anyone saying I live in a mansion in the Bronx (urban decay and poverty). lol I live in a mansion in Riverdale (upper middle class neighborhood). Now that sounds better.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the wikipedia link and all but as I said before, it's a wrong that many of us refuse to correct. I could never imagine anyone saying I live in a mansion in the Bronx (urban decay and poverty). lol I live in a mansion in Riverdale (upper middle class neighborhood). Now that sounds better.
I'm gonna guess your not a Bronx native or NYC native? I'm saddened by what's happened in my old hood but I'm not ashamed to tell people that I'm a X Bedford park slug. I can't tell you how many people are full of pride from their old days down Tolentine or HighBridge. Check out Bronx Clothing line? See what images they put on their clothes? BTW the owner is a proud BX guy!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:59 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
Quote:
We all have our moments... So what was your take on your "exploration of the neighborhood"? Any area of Riverdale you like in particular?
I love it as you know, one of the best neighborhoods in the 5 boroughs.

Fieldston is hands down my favorite area of Riverdale and I love blowing people's minds when I take them up to Wave Hill, reminding them they're still within the city limits of New York. Certainly not the image of NYC or the Bronx most people think about but that's what's so great about this city; the range and diversity of neighborhoods. You'd think you're in Bronxville or Scarsdale on some of those beautiful tree lined side streets with all 1920's/1930's stately homes lining the side streets. Fieldston Road, Grosvensor , and Delafield Avenue are incredibly charming and quaint.

Reminds me of the are I grew up in (maybe that's why I like it so much) There are areas west of the Parkway that are also beautiful, specifically on Independence Avenue and 246th Street. A bit secluded though but a great "suburban" alternative to the prime areas of Manhattan and Brooklyn. It's truly like the Bel Aire or Brentwood of NYC.

For now it's Sunnyside Gardens for a year (which is not a bad area at all for Queens). When it comes time to move I think I'll get a place on Greystone Avenue or somewhere near Manhattan College.

Last edited by ehanson; 06-14-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 02:05 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
When I was growing up in the Bronx quite a few teachers lived in Riverdale and they were Black Americans and this was a long time ago. I have friends in the complex on Arlington Ave. They are Jewish, 2 of them have Nyorican Husbands, and now adult children that they refer to as Jewyorican.

While visiting them one time we were reminiscing and looking at old photos. When the children were young they had class mates that were Black, Asian and Latin very evident on the photos. The photos were taken in the late 80's early 90's. So why is it a surprise to see diversity in 2013 Riverdale?

There is also Mt St Vincent College and Manhattan College in Riverdale which both have a diverse student body.

Many young Latin and Black teachers, nurses and other professionals have found Riverdale to be a nice safe welcoming place for their families. I know a few of those 30 somethings with young children there also.

Last edited by DAS; 06-14-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
When I was growing up in the Bronx quite a few teachers lived in Riverdale and they were Black Americans and this was a long time ago. I have friends in the complex on Arlington Ave. They are Jewish, 2 of them have Nyorican Husbands, and now adult children that they refer to as Jewyorican.

While visiting them one time we were reminiscing and looking at old photos. When the children were young they had class mates that were Black, Asian and Latin very evident on the photos. The photos were taken in the late 80's early 90's. So why is it a surprise to see diversity in 2013 Riverdale?

There is also Mt St Vincent College and Manhattan College in Riverdale which both have a diverse student body.

Many young Latin and Black teachers, nurses and other professionals have found Riverdale to be a nice safe welcoming place for their families. I know a few of those 30 somethings with young children there also.
I never said it was shocking to see diversity. What was shocking was to see more of certain groups than usual.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ did certain people crash your party, man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City