Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 PM

273 posts, read 672,517 times

Advertisements

If you are a writer why don't you visit and take the subway? You can get cheap accommodations that are comfortable near LaGuardia or in Jersey - Secaucus and Lyndhurst - and take the bus into NYC. Or stay at a hotel in LIC or around Downtown Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNative2013 View Post
I'm writing a fiction book. In a few specific scenes I'm looking to describe the subway stations of New York; smell, sight, feel, taste, sounds. If anyone can give me some firsthand info, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to be as descriptive as possible.
Come on up and ride them. Don't taste anything though. You can get some of the sight and sound by checking on Youtube, I have no idea why people make subway videos (without any interesting events) but they do. With the heat we're having now, the feel of the underground stations varies from stepping into a sauna to going into your attic on a hot day, until a train comes and you get a hot breeze which feels like it's blowing out of the depths of Hades. The smell... mildew, body odors, lubricants, sometimes a little ozone, and often the faint smell of urine. Sometimes not faint.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
That's smell. Not taste. I'm happy to say that I haven't tasted the subway. Smelled. Yes. Absolutely. Tasted? Only the beverage I had with me at the time.
Fair enough, but I swear I can taste it! And after all, taste is linked to smell. Sometimes though something nasty happens and a commuter DOES have to taste the subway.

Oh and to all, I always have the memory of my first time on a NYC train: I had just sat down (probably a mistake) and I direct my eyes to the floor, low and behold is a huge pile of fresh, glistening-red blood that everyone had seemed to be avoiding, but here I am sitting right in front of it. LOL I said, "Oh yeah! THIS is New York City! This is the real deal! Everything I imagined it would be! Cool! Real NYC blood on the train!" LOL I was 14 and of course I was into all the big-city stories about NYC since I was a small child (mafia, subway battles between gangs), so I had a big imagination about where the blood could have come from! It was that childhood view of NYC that made my transition easier because I always prepared for the worst and it's what allows you to accept the bad with the good.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:02 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Kid, I just had a friend try to write a book set in NYC without having spent more than a few days here. Don't do it. You're not Jane Austen.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

I'm looking to describe the subway stations of New York; smell, sight,
feel, taste, sounds.

Well, they TASTE absolutely AWFUL, especially the black goo on the ceilings.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNative2013 View Post
I'm writing a fiction book. In a few specific scenes I'm looking to describe the subway stations of New York; smell, sight, feel, taste, sounds. If anyone can give me some firsthand info, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to be as descriptive as possible.
If you want your writing to be authentic you should really come up to NYC for yourself and get the full experience. Someone could describe the look, smell and general feel of a subway station or the train car but it won't be the same as you being there and experiencing it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
That's smell. Not taste. I'm happy to say that I haven't tasted the subway. Smelled. Yes. Absolutely. Tasted? Only the beverage I had with me at the time.
If a smell is bad enough you can definitely taste it.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Well, they TASTE absolutely AWFUL, especially the black goo on the ceilings.
If you'll notice on those ceilings, there is usually a little thermometer sticker up there. That's actually a target for MTA workers to shine a laser beam on to get a temperature reading for that subway car

Old 07-16-2013, 09:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
that's dumb. how are you going to write a book
about something you know totally nothing about?

scram!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Fair enough, but I swear I can taste it! And after all, taste is linked to smell. Sometimes though something nasty happens and a commuter DOES have to taste the subway.

Oh and to all, I always have the memory of my first time on a NYC train: I had just sat down (probably a mistake) and I direct my eyes to the floor, low and behold is a huge pile of fresh, glistening-red blood that everyone had seemed to be avoiding, but here I am sitting right in front of it. LOL I said, "Oh yeah! THIS is New York City! This is the real deal! Everything I imagined it would be! Cool! Real NYC blood on the train!" LOL I was 14 and of course I was into all the big-city stories about NYC since I was a small child (mafia, subway battles between gangs), so I had a big imagination about where the blood could have come from! It was that childhood view of NYC that made my transition easier because I always prepared for the worst and it's what allows you to accept the bad with the good.

Was this experience last year when you were 14?

Don't write about NYC when you don't know anything about it. Write what you know.

Also judging by your writing, practice writing a lot and get a good editor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City