Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rebuilding is proceeding in the areas damaged by Hurricane Sandy, and one spot ripe for a new post-storm approach is Arverne East, an 80+-acre site first designated for development seven years ago. Progress stopped amid the credit crisis, and the developers (and friends) sought a new design through a two-phase competition announced several months ago. Four finalists, announced this morning, will each receive $30,000 to develop their proposals.
Finalists Revealed for Stalled Rockaway Site's Redesign - The Aftermath - Curbed NY

FAR ROC Design Competition

I'll tell you what. I am a fan of F.R.E.D. Ennead Architects: New York, NY, USA proposal but some good ideas here. Mixed use, urban , transit oriented, dense, sustainable, resistant. This is how all development in NYC should be thought out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 10:56 AM

273 posts, read 673,027 times
TO be honest I liked it better as empty lots that nature was slowly reclaiming - beautiful yellow woldflower and gorgeous butterflies. Plus, if they were there during Hurricane Sandy how much more would damages to these properties have added to the toll?

Also, who are these geared to - the affluent with a crumb here for "low-income" or affordable housing??

Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
TO be honest I liked it better as empty lots that nature was slowly reclaiming - beautiful yellow woldflower and gorgeous butterflies. Plus, if they were there during Hurricane Sandy how much more would damages to these properties have added to the toll?

Also, who are these geared to - the affluent with a crumb here for "low-income" or affordable housing??
The current setup is poor because it doesn't protect the surrounding neighborhood. These new developments are engineered to reduce the impact of storms and sea level rise.

As for demographics, I don't know. Hopefully no low income units, there is already enough in that area.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM

273 posts, read 673,027 times
Good point about the area saturated with low-income housing. Still I hope they aside a little open land offer affordable units.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
If they want Federal, State, or City money they had better be ready be ready to provide a considerable percentage of homes for those below the median income.

Of course, in the EXTREMELY unlikely event that they will finance with 100% private money (insert laughter) then they are free to build for whatever demographic they choose.
Perhaps mansions that can compete with the Hamptons? All it takes is to get a Whitney, a Forbes, and a Vanderbilt to move in, build a yacht basin, and the place will take off like gangbusters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City