Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
There are sooooo many free resources available. So what if you came from some third world tropical island.
Having been born in a "third world tropical island" and having had almost my entire family having been raised in one i can attest that that so called 3rd world education is probably better than the one you got.......its heavily based on the british or french system........and for islands like jamaica or haiti where theres no such thing as public school, their children raised in New York do light years better than their parents.....Plus if u wanna add africa into this, its been said Africans are the most educated immigrants to this fair land......theres a high likelyhood that senegalese cab driver was probably a scientist back in his homeland.......and lets not get started on the Nigerians.....

Quote:
We have:

1) Libraries
2) countless FREE (for them) city-sponsored ESL porgrams for adults.
3) This little thing called the "internet" that is a wealth of information if you use it properly.
4) Websites where you can buy CDs, books, etc. Etc. Etc.

Why can't adults educate themsleves?
A lot of them do. Furthermore using the internet @ a public library can be quite limited when theres a 30 min time limit and a 2hour waiting period cuz the whole neighborhood is trying to use 5-10 computers.......

Quote:
I bring this up because, I come across some really ignorant people in my day to day life. I find it amazing some of them made it to adulthood with such poor instincts. I'm not trolling by the way. I just want some insight. Do some folks just choose to be irresponsible, ignorant, and careless? Is this taught to them by family, parents, etc? I don't think I'm some kind of genius, but come on! At least have a basic understanding of things.
Alot of these ppl may not be as educated as youd like them to be but most of them have one thing alot of hipsters severely lack: street smarts and common sense....which is just as (if not more) important as formal education.....

Quote:
I had someone tell me the other day that its the governments job to provide food and cash for the citizens. WTF? No it's not. I also had a friend volunteer at a voting place for a CONGRESSIONAL election and he said people came up to him demanding to know why Obama wasn't on the ballot? Wow.
Cash? not necessarily.....education? Umm ima need u to retake a HS civics class......

Quote:
Fast food. How can so many people still eat stuff that makes them OBESE, SICK, and will ultimately kill them? Its unbelievable. I thought it was well know how bad the stuff is for people. Yet, I can walk by Burger King and the place is PACKED every time.
Americans rich and poor of all colors eat fast food alot.....next slide....

Quote:
So, again, my question is, how can their still be so many uneducated folks today with so many resources available to enlighten them?
How can ppl be educated and still lack common sense and be just as ignorant as the ppl u were talking about? *rolls eyes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
I guess this line of thinking is how some people justify their high tax and rent instead of just individual priorities and choice. Keepin it classy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Describe education
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
So check again and post a link to those stats. Poor, uneducated people move out of the city all the time. Plus, I never said that New Yorkers with degrees don't move down South either.

Anyway isn't it time you left? From your posts it's obvious you can't compete with the transplants. Texas is calling, and your desire to move down there only proves my point that many uneducated New Yorkers move south.
Just ignore arxis28. He is a transplant enthusiasts and he hates native New Yorkers. He believes are New Yorkers are uneducated vermin and should be replaced by culdesac midwesterners. This guys is just a jaded idiot. As for me going to Texas, I might go back next month maybe to Dallas. You can have NYC arix28 with its so called uneducated masses. You're nothing more than a troll.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Quote:
Why are there still so many uneducated people in this city?

Because NYU costs $63,000 per year?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:48 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
This city? You must not get out much. I've met (seemingly) uneducated Americans from here to Cali. There is a lot of stupidity in middle America too!

You're placing value solely on book smarts. There are different types of intelligence. Athleticism and musical ability are also forms of intelligence. Don't forget basic common sense which some book smart people lack. I've met more than a few bubble-headed geniuses.

There is also the type of education that most of us DON'T have. If it goes down and there is some cataclysm that throws us back to the dark ages, I'm going to find me the most "uneducated" island or third world bumpkin that can hunt, fish, and build a fire by rubbing twigs together. With all my education, I sure as hell couldn't last a week without access to a grocery store.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
In other news, an college educated potential yuppie iphone user spends 200 and something dollars on an dump iphone game.

College-educated person spends $236 upgrading a stupid iPhone game

Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,334 times
This reminds me of the fast food workers strike last week. The minimum wage workers are asking for $15 an hour so they can provide for their family. They went on to claim that paying fast food workers $15/hr would help the NYC economy because they would spend it in local stores.

That bothered me for many reasons because first of all, what justifies $15/hr for basically an unskilled job? One that anyone off the streets can perform? What valuable skills do they have to demand the wage? There's a reason why you're not suppose to raise a family on minimum wage, it's due to skills and education. Secondly, most fast food restaurants are franchised, so if the owner of that mcdonalds start paying workers $15/hr, most likely they'll shut down the business for lack of profits. These workers won't even have a job anymore.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ what you're not supposed to do and what
reality actually is is two different things. if
your life is perfect, good for you tho. I still
don't get why some people want others to
stuggle to survive so others can live the good
life.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
This reminds me of the fast food workers strike last week. The minimum wage workers are asking for $15 an hour so they can provide for their family. They went on to claim that paying fast food workers $15/hr would help the NYC economy because they would spend it in local stores.

That bothered me for many reasons because first of all, what justifies $15/hr for basically an unskilled job? One that anyone off the streets can perform? What valuable skills do they have to demand the wage? There's a reason why you're not suppose to raise a family on minimum wage, it's due to skills and education. Secondly, most fast food restaurants are franchised, so if the owner of that mcdonalds start paying workers $15/hr, most likely they'll shut down the business for lack of profits. These workers won't even have a job anymore.
But the better-paying jobs have left the country. The days of service jobs being for teenagers are long over. The fact is many people DO have to support themselves on these kinds of jobs and that's not changing soon. Unionization and strikes are the only way they can get decent lives for themselves.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post

So people should continue to live below poverty, basically? It's not just people working at McDonald's that are living off these wages. Any kind of retail, really. Grocery stores, etc.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So people should continue to live below poverty, basically? It's not just people working at McDonald's that are living off these wages. Any kind of retail, really. Grocery stores, etc.
The sad answer is yes. And this is coming from someone who grew up in poverty. It really comes down to on-demand skills that you possess. If you're uneducated, unskilled, then why should you make more than minimum wage? Go to community college, go into a trade, just do something to better their own lives so they can justify making more money.

Besides, even if the minimum wage increases to $15 an hour, the cost of living will just go up for everyone else, so really they are not making any more money. Retailers, grocery stores, restaurants will all raise their prices to cover their employees and now that $15 that use to get you 2 burgers, could only get you 1 burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City