Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 AM

379 posts, read 517,795 times

Advertisements

NYC is full of these people but slowly and surely they will be pushed out by gentrification. Then where will they go? I hear there is a lot of open land available in Detroit for them to populate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
NYC is full of these people but slowly and surely they will be pushed out by gentrification. Then where will they go? I hear there is a lot of open land available in Detroit for them to populate.
Sure there is open land available but not many buildings left. You cant expect a single mother with an infant in the sling to build her own home.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
because so many people just sit on their butts all the time,
probably including yourself, so they don't know anything
except their tiny, little scope of reality.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Nyc is a magnet for unskilled labor.

Our easy welfare, public transportation , ethnic areas, all lend themselves to low end workers coming here with expectations of finding better jobs.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 AM

483 posts, read 870,431 times
New York City has some of the smartest people in the United States who can balance formal education sophistication with street-wise saviness. It is sad you haven't come across most of these folks in your travels. Citizens you encountered near voting booth and Burger King include young and old children of immigrants on which NYC have relied on for decades. They possess common sense that cannot be taught. Some were smart enough to cut public education short and work hard to support their families. In the past, they had access to manufacturing, construction, and city union jobs that are now diminshing. OP should consider that people s/he deemed uneducated are smart enough to save cash under beds, keep their land lines, talk more than one language, and not develop an obsession with the internet. (Ask Anthony Weiner about self-control over favorite hobby.) Most of these "uneducated people" should be respected for having potential to use restaurant/taxi tips to raise adults like General Colin Powell and Supreme Court Judge Sotomayor. Some New Yorkers are apathetic and ignorant. Yet, they are not the overwhelming majority of approximate 8 million folk who hustle everyday to survive NYC and inspire people like you to come here. Don't dismiss these so-called "uneducated people". They can teach you something.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
There are sooooo many free resources available. So what if you came from some third world tropical island.

We have:

1) Libraries
2) countless FREE (for them) city-sponsored ESL porgrams for adults.
3) This little thing called the "internet" that is a wealth of information if you use it properly.
4) Websites where you can buy CDs, books, etc. Etc. Etc.

Why can't adults educate themsleves?

I bring this up because, I come across some really ignorant people in my day to day life. I find it amazing some of them made it to adulthood with such poor instincts. I'm not trolling by the way. I just want some insight. Do some folks just choose to be irresponsible, ignorant, and careless? Is this taught to them by family, parents, etc? I don't think I'm some kind of genius, but come on! At least have a basic understanding of things.

I had someone tell me the other day that its the governments job to provide food and cash for the citizens. WTF? No it's not. I also had a friend volunteer at a voting place for a CONGRESSIONAL election and he said people came up to him demanding to know why Obama wasn't on the ballot? Wow.

Fast food. How can so many people still eat stuff that makes them OBESE, SICK, and will ultimately kill them? Its unbelievable. I thought it was well know how bad the stuff is for people. Yet, I can walk by Burger King and the place is PACKED every time.

So, again, my question is, how can their still be so many uneducated folks today with so many resources available to enlighten them?
In bold is the problem that you're facing.
Maybe it's your line of work, your friends and acquittances or simply the neighborhood you live in.
In my case I find that this city attracts a lot of incredibly smart and ambitious people.

In fact, I rarely find an utterly ignorant person on my day to day life.. For that I come to this forum.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post

keep dreaming, son. i bet you will be gone before most of them will.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
...it's the government's job...
...how can there still be so...

Start your enlightenment with some free grammatical education!
He speaks, talks, writes like a native New Yorker, what do you expect? Do you want him to sound like a neutral American speaking Midwesterner those who appear on broadcasting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Hopefully more of our uneducated continue moving to the South... Where it seems encouraged to be ignorant. Dollar sweet teas, cheap prices, and suburbia for all. Because that's all that really matters in life...
What an idiot! Last time I checked New Yorkers who are moving down south are the ones holding degrees. I don't think uneducated New Yorkers can afford to move to other parts of America except for Florida because they do not have financial mobility as well as degrees to seek jobs else where. Many of the uneducated masses are stuck here in NYC and will be so until their luck or fortunes if any improves. The only place I know where uneducated New Yorkers move to is probably Florida but everywhere else its different. An Educated New Yorker moving to the south looking for the nice things in life is no different than an Midwesterner who is fleeing Post Industrial economy coming to NYC looking for opportunity, buying yoga pants, sipping Starbucks etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Cause the universe needs balance. Some educated people are amazing contributors to society, some are major *******s and cause nothing but evil in this planet. Some uneducated people are criminals while other uneducated people are talented but dont have an outlet to showcase it or die poor cause someone else stole their ideas.
Very true

Quote:
There are sooooo many free resources available. So what if you came from some third world tropical island.

We have:

1) Libraries
2) countless FREE (for them) city-sponsored ESL porgrams for adults.
3) This little thing called the "internet" that is a wealth of information if you use it properly.
4) Websites where you can buy CDs, books, etc. Etc. Etc.

Why can't adults educate themsleves?

I bring this up because, I come across some really ignorant people in my day to day life. I find it amazing some of them made it to adulthood with such poor instincts. I'm not trolling by the way. I just want some insight. Do some folks just choose to be irresponsible, ignorant, and careless? Is this taught to them by family, parents, etc? I don't think I'm some kind of genius, but come on! At least have a basic understanding of things.

I had someone tell me the other day that its the governments job to provide food and cash for the citizens. WTF? No it's not. I also had a friend volunteer at a voting place for a CONGRESSIONAL election and he said people came up to him demanding to know why Obama wasn't on the ballot? Wow.

Fast food. How can so many people still eat stuff that makes them OBESE, SICK, and will ultimately kill them? Its unbelievable. I thought it was well know how bad the stuff is for people. Yet, I can walk by Burger King and the place is PACKED every time.

So, again, my question is, how can their still be so many uneducated folks today with so many resources available to enlighten them?
This is all trivial. I really can not answer your question, it really has to do what part of NYC you live in. If you really want to live amongst educated people, move out of your neighborhood, find a roommate who is educated and move to Williamsburg or the East Village. Problem solved. Yes many New Yorkers are very insular in thought regardless of race or class, but guess what many Americans are too like the South for example. Not all will have a mind of gathering curiosity to know what's out there to seek knowledge and new experiences alike.

For all those that think gentrification will push out the uneducated masses? I hope retailers and restuarants will create self service Starbucks, Duane Reade, and Whole Foods, but in the mean time keep dreaming!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-07-2013 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 11:17 AM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What an idiot! Last time I checked New Yorkers who are moving down south are the ones holding degrees. I don't think uneducated New Yorkers can afford to move to other parts of America except for Florida because they do not have financial mobility as well as degrees to seek jobs else where. Many of the uneducated masses are stuck here in NYC and will be so until their luck or fortunes if any improves. The only place I know where uneducated New Yorkers move to is probably Florida but everywhere else its different. An Educated New Yorker moving to the south looking for the nice things in life is no different than an Midwesterner who is fleeing Post Industrial economy coming to NYC looking for opportunity, buying yoga pants, sipping Starbucks etc.
!
So check again and post a link to those stats. Poor, uneducated people move out of the city all the time. Plus, I never said that New Yorkers with degrees don't move down South either.

Anyway isn't it time you left? From your posts it's obvious you can't compete with the transplants. Texas is calling, and your desire to move down there only proves my point that many uneducated New Yorkers move south.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:

?
Do you honestly really believe this Food Nazi drivel?

Amazing how fast food has been around for almost 50 years and the nation isnt all dead.

But again, I understand that your view is skewed because NYC is a city of minorities...and they are the majority of the obese and eat more fast food than others. So perhaps obesity is really a NYC problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City