Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times

Advertisements

Let's say De blasio makes it to the general election. Does Lhota stand a good chance of winning? Do you think some of the more moderate dems will vote for Lhota? I know that 81% of NYC voted for Obama but will a very liberal candidate on a more local level make enough of the electorate vote any differently?

Last edited by Midwesterns45; 09-10-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Let's say De blasio makes it to the general election. Does Lhota stand a good chance of winning? Do you think some of the more moderate dems will vote for Lhota? I know that 81% of NYC voted for Obama but will a very liberal candidate on a more local level cause people to view de blasio differently?
I'd say that de Blasio is so absurdly left, that moderates will either sit it out or vote a no name.

For example, I'm probably gonna write in Jimmy McMillan.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Lhota's next campaign move, adopt a kid from Malawi.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Looking forward to see a far left democrat mayor after decades of republican style.
I am quite curious how the far left dem will implement his dreams to reshuffle NYC social order. How is he going to pass city concil and Albany. That's a mystery. Anycase, it will be interesting.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I could not state that DeBlasio is absurdly left...Thompson is absurdly left. DeBlasio is appealing to the wide middle of this city..not the absurdly left-wing nutjobs.

Lhota is appealing to the right-wing nutjobs..and he will lose for it: Keep surveillance on the mosques, maintain S&F (in fact increase it!), don't stop trains for nonproductive/nonincome producing things like animals blocking the tracks...business and money come first!, decrease regulations and give businesses more more more because they are our kings and we should be thankful, no need for parks and bike lanes...they just get in the way of business, see a trend here?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I could not state that DeBlasio is absurdly left...Thompson is absurdly left. DeBlasio is appealing to the wide middle of this city..not the absurdly left-wing nutjobs.
I dunno man. I find de Blasio to be the most radically left. Definitely more so than Thompson, Quinn, or Weenus. Don't know enough about Liu I guess I'll admit.

Just from what I've seen. I haven't been paying all that much attention to be completely fair. Compared to some at least.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
You are probably finding him absurdly left because the other candidates aren't saying much of anything concrete, witht he exception of Weenis who is a non-issue anyway. I could not tell you anything Thompson wants to do (and how he would pay for it), and same for Quinn....they are just playing word games. But Thompson has the history of supporting absurdly left politics, small minded quibbling, major pandering, and an established Democratic lackey....and with him quiet about his platform (just like 2009), he will lose yet again....crisis averted!

Quinn is Bloomberg 4.0
Thompson is sheer idiocy
Wiener is a non-issue
Liu has great things to say, and nobody is listening/cares

Which leaves DeBlasio which, like Obama in 2008, is plugged into the themes for this year (and probably the last few years) and has made his campaign all about it: anti-S&F, tax the ultrawealthy, more affordable housing, better investments in transportation, quality of life issues like revenue generating quotas for cops, sanitation, etc.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
He turns everything into "I'm smarter then you, I went to an Ivy league school, your just a loser, you wish you were me, your mad because of your failures in life, blah blah f*cling blah"

Truth is, he is the least qualified person in any room he walks into. He has his degrees, yet is forced to sit at home on his laptop telling everyone how great he is, but he's not that great at all. He is extremely insecure because of certain decisions he has made in his life. Hasn't really found himself yet. I hate to admit it, but I feel sorry for the guy, no joke. Ok I'm lying, I actually don't give a f***. Carry on
I'm not forced to sit home. I'm right where I want to be. As for decisions I've made in my life, you know nothing about any decisions I've made to comment one way or another.

I honestly don't care who in the public does what. Its you and your buddies who deliberately have to go out and attack huge groups of people. No happy person goes on and attacks huge groups of people. That's a sign of misery and failure right there.

I do not attack whole ethnicities or races of people, nor do I try to uplift obsecure doctors as some sort of messiah!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

Lhota is appealing to the right-wing nutjobs..and he will lose for it: Keep surveillance on the mosques, maintain S&F (in fact increase it!), don't stop trains for nonproductive/nonincome producing things like animals blocking the tracks...business and money come first!, decrease regulations and give businesses more more more because they are our kings and we should be thankful, no need for parks and bike lanes...they just get in the way of business, see a trend here?
Damn, Lhota looks great Sobro, thanks for reiterating what I already knew. And I have to disagree, DeBlasio is left of left, i know you deny it, but seriously that guy is a self proclaimed progressive. That's a nice way of saying LEFTIST ON STEROIDS.

I look at it like this, being a Sanman any one of the Democrats will be great for my pocket..retro pay, raises, you name it they will most likely give my union a great contract but I can't vote like that. I have to think big picture, will this city survive not only those contract negotiations but everything else they propose? Id rather have a safe, fiscally stable city to work in then wonder if the Detroit runaway train is coming here express. Not picking a fight with you ( I'd win anyway) just sharing my thoughts. The city is a business, and must be run a certain way. There are exceptions, but you need a CEO type or at least someone that thinks like one. Have any of these candidates ever had to make a true payroll, or are they all career politicians? Hell, laugh at him all you want but Catsimatides is more qualified then any of these Dems, economically speaking. Weird but true...

Old 09-10-2013, 01:35 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm not forced to sit home. I'm right where I want to be. As for decisions I've made in my life, you know nothing about any decisions I've made to comment one way or another.

I honestly don't care who in the public does what. Its you and your buddies who deliberately have to go out and attack huge groups of people. No happy person goes on and attacks huge groups of people. That's a sign of misery and failure right there.

I do not attack whole ethnicities or races of people, nor do I try to uplift obsecure doctors as some sort of messiah!
Your still here? It's over bro, just move on to the next subject. You beat that one to death already and got owned. Next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City