Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You are probably finding him absurdly left because the other candidates aren't saying much of anything concrete, witht he exception of Weenis who is a non-issue anyway. I could not tell you anything Thompson wants to do (and how he would pay for it), and same for Quinn....they are just playing word games. But Thompson has the history of supporting absurdly left politics, small minded quibbling, major pandering, and an established Democratic lackey....and with him quiet about his platform (just like 2009), he will lose yet again....crisis averted!

Quinn is Bloomberg 4.0
Thompson is sheer idiocy
Wiener is a non-issue
Liu has great things to say, and nobody is listening/cares

Which leaves DeBlasio which, like Obama in 2008, is plugged into the themes for this year (and probably the last few years) and has made his campaign all about it: anti-S&F, tax the ultrawealthy, more affordable housing, better investments in transportation, quality of life issues like revenue generating quotas for cops, sanitation, etc.
Plugged into themes? Saying the right things, just like Obama. Hope and change all over again...we already know how that ship sank and is going ever deeper into the depths. No thank you. It's the Economy that matters, until you fix that nothing else means a thing. As a property owner and taxpayer, don't you agree at least on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:42 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
How did I know you were a Lhota supporter! Actually they will all be great for your pocket...they all play the same game. Please stop with the usual "we will be Detroit unless King Kelly and Lhotiani keep their guns drawn on the savages and giveaway the city to bankers." The fear mongering works well in Faux News..let's leave it there.

The city is NOT a business...and running it based solely on debits and credits is why every city agency is now viewed as a revenue generator to bring in money for the city..which includes sanitation...quotas quotas quotas for cops, garbagemen..otherwise you are written up, penalized and dismissed...and it sinks the quality of life in this city. Cops should be busy walking the beat, not trying to make $1000 in tickets in order to get a "satisfactory" on their review..same goes for sanitation..clean the streets/pick-up the garbage etc...not finding $1,500 a day in summons/fines otherwise a poor review. And guess who suffers..regular, working class city people!

You want NYC corporation where it's all about the money and you are simply a means to getting more money, and if you are not a revenue generator you are a POS? Or do you want a CITY, a place where people can live, grow, and there is room for such things as arts, recreation, volunteers, community organizations, and all the other things that are viewed as "non-producing" yet vital to a healthy city?

You can't have it both ways...NYC corporation answers to shareholders and only seeks to maximize profits at society's expense...NYC as a CITY answers to taxpayers and residents, and seeks to improve quality of life. Get it? You don't..so vote for Lhota...it will be DeBlasio anyway. The country, and NYC spoke..and the idea that there are "45% of the country who are takers" is a mentality that we didn't accept or tolerate in 2008, 2012, or in this Mayoral election either.

FYI not sure what ship is sinking further into the abyss? I am a taxpayer and homeowner, and one of my biggest problems with Bloomberg is the shift to running this city like a business and selling it off to the highest bidder at the expense of residents. I rather they raise taxes 1% than continue bogus and harassing fines/fees/tickets by every city worker..and this is also why S&F is out of control...they are mandated to do X amount regardless otherwise they are penalized. ENOUGH.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 09-10-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Which leaves DeBlasio which, like Obama in 2008, is plugged into the themes for this year (and probably the last few years)...
And that really worked out for us well.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:11 PM

I think it worked out great...I will take Obama long before I would consider the Romney Corporation...but that's off topic. Let's stick with DeBlasio and why he will win the primary and election.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:12 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Damn, Lhota looks great Sobro, thanks for reiterating what I already knew. And I have to disagree, DeBlasio is left of left, i know you deny it, but seriously that guy is a self proclaimed progressive. That's a nice way of saying LEFTIST ON STEROIDS.

I look at it like this, being a Sanman any one of the Democrats will be great for my pocket..retro pay, raises, you name it they will most likely give my union a great contract but I can't vote like that. I have to think big picture, will this city survive not only those contract negotiations but everything else they propose? Id rather have a safe, fiscally stable city to work in then wonder if the Detroit runaway train is coming here express. Not picking a fight with you ( I'd win anyway) just sharing my thoughts. The city is a business, and must be run a certain way. There are exceptions, but you need a CEO type or at least someone that thinks like one. Have any of these candidates ever had to make a true payroll, or are they all career politicians? Hell, laugh at him all you want but Catsimatides is more qualified then any of these Dems, economically speaking. Weird but true...
I don't know where this idea that the status quo( Bloomberg,Kelly,etc) must be maintained in order to prevent some kind of economic disaster comes from.Boston has had a single ,very progressive(leftist liberal if you must),adamantly pro working and middle class neighborhood mayor for 24 years and the city is thriving.

Trying to compare NYC to Detroit is just an empty scare tactic because the NYC economy is nothing like Detroit's.

Going to vote now.Hope I can make up my mind before I get to the poll.The union just called, again,and wants me to vote for Thompson.I'll report back on my vote(s) later.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:20 PM

You missed one thing in your rant...who are the shareholders in this city? The taxpayers. All those things you listed are great to have but if you can't afford it then what? Politicians work for us, not the other way around. I want return on my investment(taxes). That's all I'm saying. We are not some charity case here, I work, you work. My money needs to be well spent.

As far as cops writing tickets, guess what that's all your going to get if the left gets it's way. Cops already have it in their heads to do whatever it takes to get a check and go home. If that means write a few extra tickets instead of risking a lawsuit from a perp, hey I know what I'm doing, pencil meet paper.

DeBlasio will probably take it, but in good conscience he will not get my vote.

Oh and Sanmen don't write tickets, we do all the heavy, dirty work. You know, blue collar man work. Supervisors and enforcement write tickets, trust me we don't like them either.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I think it worked out great...I will take Obama long before I would consider the Romney Corporation...but that's off topic. Let's stick with DeBlasio and why he will win the primary and election.
No, it's been a horrific embarrassment. A true study in being in over ones head. Sad really. Ok, back to topic...

Old 09-10-2013, 02:31 PM

Lol...Bluedog don't vote Thompson..ugh..did you not even watch the debates!

DSNY the one that was a horrific embarassment, a true study in being in over ones head was Bush (both terms). But yes, back to topic! You should vote for whoever you like, for whatever reasons you have, and I respect that..we all should. At the end of the day, whoever is in office will move the city forward, and life will go on.

Just go vote! I am not a registered Dem or Rep, so I won't be voting today..just in the Mayoral.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Lol...Bluedog don't vote Thompson..ugh..did you not even watch the debates!

DSNY the one that was a horrific embarassment, a true study in being in over ones head was Bush (both terms). But yes, back to topic! You should vote for whoever you like, for whatever reasons you have, and I respect that..we all should. At the end of the day, whoever is in office will move the city forward, and life will go on.

Just go vote! I am not a registered Dem or Rep, so I won't be voting today..just in the Mayoral.
Talk about a long shot, just for the hell of it, I clicked the Catsimitides lever a few hours ago. He is well known where I grew up, people love the guy, he is involved with community. Extremely charitable. Sits in the cafe with old timers sometimes, he's real to me no matter how much he made in his life he didn't forget what it took to get there. Crazy Greek billionaire, f*** it if he wins I guarantee he is a better human being and administrator then Bloomberg. That being said, it's Lhota vs. DeBlasio in the end...good times ahead.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,920,061 times
Really though out of all the democratic candidates, DeBlasio seems to be the only one that doesn't have any major issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City