Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times

Advertisements

Feeling bad for Quinn. The substantive differences between these candidates aren't as big as they want us to think and Quinn's big, fatal mistake was really branding herself as Bloomberg cont'd because she thought that's what New Yorkers wanted. She'd probably be winning if she'd run on the same platform but framed it differently. I voted for de Blasio though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Note that I never stated that all black men or even most are dead beats. I did however point out that a number of black men throughout inner cities do not take care of their children, and I'm right in pointing this out. Again, there are many structural reasons for this.

Thanks for the articles, but I'm already well versed on de Blasio and his wife.

I don't see the importance in pointing out that de Blasio was raised in a broken home, because it doesn't really matter. What matters is whether he is a good presence in his children's lives, and that he is not repeating the cycle of alcohol addiction that his father was inflicted with.

Regarding his wife, I don't really place much credence on her lesbian claims. I read the original article that she wrote in Essence 20 or so years ago, and it's apparent that she wasn't really certain about her sexuality. She was raised by a single mom and didn't really have exposure to any positive male role models. By her own admission, she didn't view men in a good light at the time, because of her negative experiences.

One thing is for certain, a true lesbian is not interested in marrying a man, just as a true heterosexual woman is not interested in marrying a lesbian. Charlene attended Wellesly college, which is an all girls school. She was inundated with plenty of feminist theory which definitely played a role in her identification as a lesbian.

I have no training in mental health, but I imagine that Cherlane decided upon meeting her husband, that she preferred to be a wife and a mother, as evidenced by her 19+ year marriage and 2 teenage children.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 PM

28 posts, read 31,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Feeling bad for Quinn. The substantive differences between these candidates aren't as big as they want us to think and Quinn's big, fatal mistake was really branding herself as Bloomberg cont'd because she thought that's what New Yorkers wanted. She'd probably be winning if she'd run on the same platform but framed it differently. I voted for de Blasio though.

Yup. With the exception of Liu and Carlos Danger, Thompson, De Blasiio aren't far apart from Quinn on most issues but Bloomberg was like the kiss of death for her. And keep Ray Kelly as commish??? What?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Her close ties to Bloomberg caused her eventual defeat at the polls. If I was Llhota I would be very weary of getting support and backing endorsement from Bloomberg which can cause further alienation from voters who are already fatigue and put off by 12 years of Bloomberg. If Bloomberg backs Lhota I will not vote llhota and vote for De Blasio upon November.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
In 2009, there was such disgust at the city council's overturning term limits only 15% of eligible voters voted, and even then Thompson almost won (he got 49% of the vote).

Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
It's not just her backing of term extensions that killed Quinn. She really has nothing to bring to the table especially at a time when NYC's economy is going through big changes (which can be for the worse).

Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quinn is out, yay !!

I think the term limit did her in.
the sexting ( that is such a stupid term) really did weiner in.

Glad also Spitzer is out, i think the public was sick of him also and did not want to be seeing his ugly face or hearing his stupid name for the next 4 years.

now, lets get rid of ray Kelly

Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
My prediction: The city is going to stagnate for a few years with De Blasio sitting in the dirver's seat but looking out the window. Bloomberg's momentum will fizzle out. No real new ideas will be on the table. Pandering rather than leading. Schools will stall. Hopefully the very slowly improving national economy will shore up the city's until a better candidate comes along for the next election. Crime could start creeping up depending on the competency of the next police commissioner. A blah period.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM

47 posts, read 64,840 times
I think Bill De Blasio's strongest asset is his ability to connect with people and let them understand where he is coming from. Negotiation skills are very important, especially for a big city mayor. When you listen to him, you do not get the feeling that he's reading from a teleprompter like Obama or other politicians. He may be full of lies, I really can't tell you, but he has mastered the ability to appear genuine.

I think this will allow him to win against Lhota.

De Blasio reacts to Bloomberg 'racist' comments - Video on NBCNews.com

Also, some say that he is an empty suit but he appears to understand that the trickle down reagonomic theory does not work. Like he points out in the video, over 46% of New York City residents are in poverty. How are the rich and wall street helping this group? Instead of focusing solely on wall street, a better strategy seems to be, to provide tax breaks to small businesses. We know that small businesses, not corporations are the primary engine that provides jobs.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Truthfully I think Quinn's homosexuality was the problem. Outside of liberal affluent Whites the city isn't all that progressive to gays. The moment any serious challenger emerged she was doomed with large swaths of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City