Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,182,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
Yes my 4th child is 20 yrs old and has decided not to move with us.

geeez

and as regards where I am moving....yes we had three options...atlanta , sacramento and nyc. NYC came thru with a better offer....I was hoping to end up in Sacramento, but they didnt come thru for us....yet anyway....so now Iam seriously looking at the NYC area for options....is that ok?????
All I asked was what happened to the fourth child, not why you were about to move to Sacramento and then switched to NY.

no need to say geeeez - I think it's my right to ask for clarification when things don't add up. I gave you the benefit of the doubt in my post and did not accuse you of anything. So relax.

Unfortunately I can't add much to the conversation because I live within the city and you are looking for country living with a commute to the city - which I don't know anything about.

good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,643,158 times
From your post it seems like you are looking to rent, right? I actually think the suburbs of Westchester are more affordable renting than buying, but I don’t think that 1,500 would get you much more than a two bedroom, but I’d check out Hastings-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry and other cities on the Metro North lines. I have a friend who lives in Croton-on-Harmon, and I think the commute to Grand Central is about 45 min. Unfortunately if you don’t live by the train station you’d probably have to pack your three kids into the car every morning and drive your husband there. Maybe the suburbs of New Jersey are more affordable. I know Fairlawn NJ has a large Jewish community. I’m afraid that on 80,000, it will be a struggle for a family of five, and I don’t know that private school is feasible unless you pick up some part-time work.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:54 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,691,578 times
You won't be able to get a decent 2BR in Westchester for $1500. Maybe more towards Putnam County... $80k for a family of 5 is going to be difficult in the commutable areas around NYC.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 AM

44 posts, read 127,513 times
well his base salary is going to be 85-90,000 ( i have been corrected) and then he will make bonuses on top of that or commissions Iam told. so with that said, I think we will be ok....question is where to live?

Old 11-16-2007, 09:59 AM

81 posts, read 411,362 times
Here's a list of Chabad centers in New York State:

New York, USA - Chabad-Lubavitch Centers

That might be a place to start?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:33 AM

191 posts, read 901,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
well thanks for that info, and I am sure you are right. I figured as much after reading other peoples posts on this site. So tell me, what does one do? My husband does not want to turn down the job. Its a chance of a lifetime. I dont want to live in some old beat up apt. with no yard. I dont want to live in chaos. where the heck do I go? I dont want hubby gone all the time either. this really sucks for me.

I am not used to paying high rents so this is going to really depress me. There has to be areas we can look into....have you ever been to Chicago? I lived in what they call Chicagoland. Its the suburbs. There are suburbs that close in are still pricey and old and feel like being in the city, which I hated, but then the further out you go things got better...like Aurora, Naperville - all new, cheaper housing, gorgeous shopping and things to do galore, easy commute to the country for nature and easy commute to the city for jobs. This is what I am looking for in a nutshell. I dont do well with old houses fixer uppers and slumy stuff. I want new and modern and not afriad to let my children play in the neighborhoods...is there a place like that?
NYC and the surrounding "suburbs" are going to be a tough sell for you. if you want SPACE and GOOD AREAS with a good commute to the city, on an 80k/yr salary, then i hope you have 500k in cash to put down on a house. it sounds like you dont have that so i hate to break it to you, but what you are looking for probably doesnt exist.
Plain and simple, there is no CHEAPER housing in the metro tri-state area thats in a normal commute time to NYC.
As for what one does, one compromises.
If one wants to be CLOSE to work, one must deal with living in a shoebox.
If one wants the burbs, one must commute 60-90 minutes
if one wants LAND, then one must commute 90+ minutes
if one wants a new house, then one must have lots of $$ since one cannot get a sub-prime anymore

if one is only making 80k a year with 3 kids, and wants a new gorgeous house, with a big yard, good schools, in a jewish community, with a 60min commute to nyc, then one must have a winning lottery ticket, or wealthy relatives.

unfortunately, you cannot compare ANY other location in the US with the tri-state area. land/housing are commanding TOP DOLLAR and still rising. Traffic is horrible. its not just nyc, but nyc, nj, & ct. if PA had a the train-line from the poconos setup like they've been promising for 15 years, the housing out there would be just as bad.

the only thing i can honestly think of is perhaps Connecticut. you might be able to find something not too far from the metro-north line that may be affordable, but you are going to need a big down-payment with a salary of 80k with 3 lil ones. and its still at least a 90minute commute from CT to grand central.
Or maybe your husband can work something out with the company so that he doesnt need to work out of the nyc office proper. maybe he can tele-commute, or swing by when hes returning from jfk or newark on a late flight. If he works off hours, then commuting becomes MUCH easier as there is little traffic.

you really need to sit down and make a list of what you WANT, and what you NEED, and then cross reference it with what you can actually GET.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Does anyone know anything of Cherry HIll, NJ? How hard would the commute to NYC be from there everydaY? ALSO what is the town like? schools, community, safety etc. I was told there is a new frum community there for Jews so it caught my attention.

any advise is greatly appreciated

Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,979,538 times
Not a very nice commute to NYC - very easy for Philadelphia, however.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Not a very nice commute to NYC - very easy for Philadelphia, however.
well whats not nice about it? my hubby's boss will be in Sussex County in a town called Hewitt I think. is the commute not similiar to that?

ok....so we figure about an hour and half or so....thats ok with him....what do you think?

Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM

HI again

whats everyone think of these places?

New Haven Ct
Cherry Hills NJ
Stamford CT
Swarthmore PA
Ellenville NY

Iam looking for comparisons for commuting to Manhattan daily, cost of housing (rent), safey , schools, and nature and things to do!!
thanks for your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City