Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times

Advertisements

I would NEVER live in Bridgeport. There is a big crack problem there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 AM

44 posts, read 127,421 times
oh gee

well ok, how about Parsippany NJ, Montville or Towaco?
or West Orange? or Morristown?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:24 AM

44 posts, read 127,421 times
Default **update**

ok so I have finally found a place I think I will like and be happy with......

tell me what you think:

Lehigh Valley Region particularly the town of Bethlehem PA - maybe Allentown? or Easton not sure but definetly think this region is the right place.

so...with that said....does anyone know anything about this area in the Pocono Mountains? and what are you comments on it?

do you think the commute to Manhattan will be nuts?

cant wait to hear your thoughts

thankyou

Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Yes, the commute will be insane.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
I'd say driving, at least 3 hours each way. Anywhere without direct train access to Manhattan is going to be an unbearable commute. Do you really want your husband spending SIX HOURS a day just commuting?

I'm not exaggerating... anywhere without train access into Manhattan is going to be just a hellish commute. Once a week I travel 75 miles to a satellite office. I go through Long Island to NJ. It takes me 3 hours, and I am not even trying to get into Manhattan.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,969,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
ok so I have finally found a place I think I will like and be happy with......

tell me what you think:

Lehigh Valley Region particularly the town of Bethlehem PA - maybe Allentown? or Easton not sure but definetly think this region is the right place.

so...with that said....does anyone know anything about this area in the Pocono Mountains? and what are you comments on it?

do you think the commute to Manhattan will be nuts?

cant wait to hear your thoughts

thankyou
you should lose that idea now, it is a 2 hour+ commute on a nice day.
factor in rain or snow, and it will be 3+ hours each way, you can find something much closer.
If you want a long commute and a cheaper lifestyle consider Deleware, about a 90+ minute amtrak ride, I knew a guy who did it every day. If you're set on PA consider Yardley, near trenton and also a 90 minute commute

Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
Furthermore, the houses Iam seeing on Craigs list for instance look really old and outdated.....Iam so used to California or Florida style open ranches....ok...so, where in the world shall I look?
... I hate old outdated slumpy stuff....so where do I look?
I'm pretty optimistic and love living on the East Coast after growing up in California, but I have to say that I just don't think you are going to like what you can afford here.

The East is Old. Most buildings are old. It is unlikely that your family will be able to afford a tear-down new construction home within reasonable commuting distance with rolling hills and open spaces and the like.

Something's got to give.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,297 times
Default I couldn't resist...

1) It sounds like you need a "realtor". The varying types of locations requested are just all over the place to anyone from the States are nonsensical. It almost sounds like this post is a hoax is it so far-fetched.

2) Did your family actually move to anywhere around NY/NJ/CT? If so, where?

I think your husband, unless paid in euros, needs to find a new boss/company, as for the amount of travel requested is severely underpaid by NY standards or he is in a sales/trading position where the majority of the pay is commission based and the 80-85K is misleading.

I do hope you have found an appropriate job/cost of living standard mix and are a happy and healthy unit.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:03 AM

877 posts, read 2,769,055 times
Maybe you should look at some Jewish areas in Long Island. That would seem like a better option but for the price you can spend, I don't know if you are going to get exactly what you are looking for.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM

244 posts, read 669,465 times
Stick to South Jersey or The eastern part of Long Island. South Jersey has buses which go to NYC will take 1 hour 45 min. Close to Philly Airport and the Amtrak if needed. Housing can be cheap (forget about cherry hill though, try Mount Laurel). East end of long island near the LIRR would also be 1 hour 45 minutes to Penn station. check houses on MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens Either way no jewish communities and you will make alot of other sacrifices. You can't have it all. $80k in the tri state area is way too little income for what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City