Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,048,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Everyone can be crazy to some degree or another. And as for HIV, people can certainly get doctors to support them in claiming that they are sicker than they are, in order to cheat the system and get the welfare benefits.

Well, the free lunch is over, so as I said, it does not really matter whether I'm in favor of it. You can argue here until you're blue, but its up to people in these programs to find their own solutions as the Congress cuts funding to them.

The rest of the nation could care less about funding NYC's welfare complex. People finally are getting a reality check.
One in 7 Americans out of 300 million are on foodstamps.

I'm not trying to argue whether or not the benefits should stay here or not.

I'm a WOMAN. I'll be alright either way it goes.

Maybe if NYC would allow welfare recipients to LEARN A TRADE that can actually earn them a liveable freaking wage, then I wouldn't care so much. NYC is the only jurisdiction in the state of New York and the country that does NOT want welfare recipients to go to school. They want to keep them in poverty forever.

At least allow them a fighting chance.

Are you also mad at Bloomberg's friends who get $3,000 per person in the city's shelter system?

There are approximately 50,000 in NY's shelters. This is a $150,000,000 profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
O

Maybe if NYC would allow welfare recipients to LEARN A TRADE that can actually earn them a liveable freaking wage, then I wouldn't care so much. NYC is the only jurisdiction in the state of New York and the country that does NOT want welfare recipients to go to school. They want to keep them in poverty forever.

At least allow them a fighting chance.

Are you also mad at Bloomberg's friends who get $3,000 per person in the city's shelter system?

There are approximately 50,000 in NY's shelters. This is a $150,000,000 profit.
If someone is school material, go to a 4 year college, eat in the dining hall, and live in a dorm. Welfare is not needed. No one is forced to be in poverty.

If someone just needs some sort of certificate or license, get a restaurant or other jobs, save up your money, and then take your classes that way.

You have excuse upon excuse for poverty and laziness, Marilyn. Beyond a certain point, if you cannot figure out how to take care of yourself there are questions about your intelligence.

The victimhood you project on poor is not at all flattering, Marilyn. You're basically saying they are too stupid to figure out their own solutions and too stupid to empower themselves. In that since, you're just the other side of the coin of the racists here who would claim these are inferior people.

Assuming these people are intelligent human beings (and yes, they are) credit them with enough intelligence to be able to figure out how to deal with the coming budget cuts.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
They are supposed to but I was told by someone that these lazy ones simply give up the food stamps and just rely on illegal means to make up the difference because they don't want to work.
So? If all they're getting is foodstamps, then why should a single able bodied person "work" 35 hours a week for $200 a month???

Does this seem fair or make any sense to you?

They're single. They can get by with going to the food banks or churches every week for food, if need be.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:15 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
But they ARE "earning" it. Everyone collecting welfare and foodstamps in New York City is FORCED to work for their benefits. They are made to work 21 hours a week making below minimum wage for city agencies as janitors and maids. The ones who with more office experience are forced to work for city agencies shuffling paper and answering phones. The remaining 14 hours (2 days) is spent doing "job search" activities which never materialize for 70% of them no matter how many interviews they go on.

Why do you and some others on here continue to perpetuate the lie that they don't work for their benefits?

This hasn't been true in close to 20 years when welfare reform took over in this city.
You may be talking about one specific program, but that has nothing to do with foodstamps, which if I recall correctly ( like you) is the topic of this thread. Any and all entitlement programs need to be dismantled and reviewed until they are structured in a way that only those who absolutely have no other option receive benefits. Benefit cards are like water bottles in NYC. If you really think every one of those benefit cards comes with a work requirement, you're the one who doesn't have a clue.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
What's happening is called a reality check. Those who ignore it do so at their own peril. They'd better do what they can to work, or will risk having to go in the garbage for food.

And isn't it strange the restaurant sector here can hire immigrants and out of towners, while welfare recipients don't even bother to go out for these jobs? Same for the hotel sector, certain types of construction jobs,etc.

Now just in case Marilyn claims discrimination is why they don't get these jobs, if that's the case the beloved poor need to become politically active and fight against any unreasonable barriers (where its structural issues in the economy, racism, or whatever) to unemployment.

Welfare has made them so lazy in some cases they don't even vote. This is a good thing, as it forces them to get up off their asses and be responsible for their own survival.
Can't rep you so just consider this post as such.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
When poor desperate ill moral people don't have they simply look for someone who does.
Get a means to defend yourself. Oh wait, most NY'ers aren't allowed to do that, duh. I've no fear of anyone in this city who decides to make an attempt for my hard earned possessions. They'll reap the consequences of their actions.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,052,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You may be talking about one specific program, but that has nothing to do with foodstamps, which if I recall correctly (:roll eyes: like you) is the topic of this thread. Any and all entitlement programs need to be dismantled and reviewed until only they are structured in a way that only those who absolutely have no other option receive benefits. Benefit cards are like water bottles in NYC. If you really think every one of those benefit cards comes with a work requirement, you're the one who doesn't have a clue.
I think Marilyn knows very well many of them don't come with work requirements. I think Marilyn knows there's a lot of fraud going on too. A friend of mine works for HASA, the Aids division of HRA. He turned in a client who was claiming disability and collecting SSI, Food Stamps, and Rental Assistance. Why did he turn him in? Said allegedly ill client was WORKING OFF the BOOKS for cash. Meaning he was not reporting his TAXES and DEFRAUDING the government. And there is definitely a lot of this.

But that parade is coming to an end, slowly but surely as the cuts keep coming since 2008.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
If someone is school material, go to a 4 year college, eat in the dining hall, and live in a dorm. Welfare is not needed. No one is forced to be in poverty.
I'm not talking about college or university and you know it. Now you're playing games with my words. I said TRADE. As in going to a TRADE SCHOOL to learn hair, refrigeration, auto, etc. After they get jobs in these fields, then they can go to college on their OWN time.

Quote:
If someone just needs some sort of certificate or license, get a restaurant or other jobs, save up your money, and then take your classes that way.
So...you're gonna sit up here and act like NYC is just rolling in jobs, huh? Okay.

Quote:
You have excuse upon excuse for poverty and laziness, Marilyn.
But they're NOT "lazy". They're being forced to work for their measly crummy benefits!!

Why do you and others continue to negate this FACT?

Oh yeah, you can't get a doctor to "fake" HIV. Again, STOP IT.

And there's no way NYC HRA or Disability would accept this without verification of medical records to PROVE IT.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You may be talking about one specific program, but that has nothing to do with foodstamps, which if I recall correctly ( like you) is the topic of this thread.
No dear, I am referring to FOODSTAMPS as well. In NEW YORK CITY, people collecting foodstamps must WORK for them or attend "work activities". Foodstamp recipients MUST attend 28 hours a week (in NYC, the Feds only require 21) of sitting in a room for 7 hours a day doing "job searches". NYC HRA forces foodstamp recipients to do WORKFARE for 7 hours a week (this outside of federal mandates).

So EVERYONE collecting benefits in New York City is NOT sitting home on their supposed "lazy" assets doing NOTHING.

Quote:
Benefit cards are like water bottles in NYC. If you really think every one of those benefit cards comes with a work requirement, you're the one who doesn't have a clue.
Yeah, they DO and I have more "clues" than you do.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:27 PM

You'd be surprised the "clues" this Staten Island white boy has into the worthless poor and how much I deal with them face to face. You're still wrong by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City