Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,035,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think Marilyn knows very well many of them don't come with work requirements. I think Marilyn knows there's a lot of fraud going on too. A friend of mine works for HASA, the Aids division of HRA. He turned in a client who was claiming disability and collecting SSI, Food Stamps, and Rental Assistance. Why did he turn him in? Said allegedly ill client was WORKING OFF the BOOKS for cash. Meaning he was not reporting his TAXES and DEFRAUDING the government. And there is definitely a lot of this.
Are you this upset with the corporations that reaped a $70 billion dollar winfall too?

Quote:
But that parade is coming to an end, slowly but surely as the cuts keep coming since 2008.
Yeah, a "parade".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 01:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm not talking about college or university and you know it. Now you're playing games with my words. I said TRADE. As in going to a TRADE SCHOOL to learn hair, refrigeration, auto, etc. After they get jobs in these fields, then they can go to college on their OWN time.

So...you're gonna sit up here and act like NYC is just rolling in jobs, huh? Okay.

But they're NOT "lazy". They're being forced to work for their measly crummy benefits!!

Why do you and others continue to negate this FACT?

Oh yeah, you can't get a doctor to "fake" HIV. Again, STOP IT.

And there's no way NYC HRA or Disability would accept this without verification of medical records to PROVE IT.
Yes, Marilyn, they are lazy. New York City is not rolling in professional jobs, no. But it is rolling in retail and restaurant jobs, and any unskilled person can get these jobs. We have lots of immigrants and out of towners who get these jobs.

So there is totally no reason why people on welfare can't get these jobs. Oh, there is, if they aren't applying for them to begin with!!

As for people being forced to work for their measly benefits (cleaning the subway) YES, YES, YES!

I'm forced to work to pay my bills. Aren't we all?

And nowhere did I say you can get a doctor to fake HIV. Having HIV does not preclude you from working, and you know this very well.

The people I know who work in the city said in the 80s, the city was generous with welfare benefits for those with Aids because they soon died. Except with modern treatments that in some cases clear the virus from the person's body, anyone who seeks medical treatment for HIV these days is FINE if they take care of themselves. So because of this the HIV welfare programs are being CUT, as they SHOULD be.

Okay, Marilyn, tell us what you do for a living and why you are so pro welfare to this degree, and why you think its so horrible HRA makes some welfare cases work. Is HRA making you work?

Old 09-21-2013, 01:32 PM

19,064 posts, read 13,992,119 times
FYI:

"You or other employable household members may be required to participate in the SNAP Benefits Employment and Training Program. Job searches will be stressed and training may be made available."

Did you happen to catch the phrase "may be required"? Do you understand what that means? That caveat to the requirement is before we start talking about fraud.

HRA/DSS - Our Services - SNAP & Emergency Food Programs

Old 09-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
No dear, I am referring to FOODSTAMPS as well. In NEW YORK CITY, people collecting foodstamps must WORK for them or attend "work activities". Foodstamp recipients MUST attend 28 hours a week (in NYC, the Feds only require 21) of sitting in a room for 7 hours a day doing "job searches". NYC HRA forces foodstamp recipients to do WORKFARE for 7 hours a week (this outside of federal mandates).

So EVERYONE collecting benefits in New York City is NOT sitting home on their supposed "lazy" assets doing NOTHING.

Yeah, they DO and I have more "clues" than you do.
Resources for the Uninsured | Other Public Benefits | Food Stamps

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as Food Stamps) is a federal program available to help individuals and families, both employed and unemployed meet their food needs. You can use food stamp benefits at food retailers that accept the benefit including supermarkets, bodegas, small grocery stores, fruit and vegetable markets, and even farmers’ markets throughout NYC. You pay for food purchases with an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card, the food card, which works just like a bank issued debit card.

You do not have to work to get food stamps. If you lost your job for example, and you're collecting unemployment, you are not made to work to get food stamps. There are other exemptions.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:39 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,514,698 times
Yet they raised the limit to 100 billion, netting 60 billion.. Watch and see.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 PM

How does on get assistance from the Aids welfare program in the city? While some of the people on the program are quite ill, others aren't.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/download...l_criteria.pdf

If you are HIV positive, and otherwise perfectly health, if you test positive for herpes you are eligible for HASA. Free rent, medicaid, food stamps, and cash assistance.

Or if you ever had syphilis, a CURABLE disease, while you were HIV positive, you are also eligible for this welfare program.

Even sinusitis makes you eligible for this program, if you look at the requirements. Being HIV positive alone doesn't make you eligible, you have to have one other condition.

I know plenty of people who work in this system.

Most Americans would be shocked to find out get a couple of stds and you get indefinitely welfare. Or get a sinus infection while HIV positive and get indefinite welfare (even if nothing else is wrong with you).

Old 09-21-2013, 01:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,035,610 times
Quote:
Yes, Marilyn, they are lazy. New York City is not rolling in professional jobs, no. But it is rolling in retail and restaurant jobs, and any unskilled person can get these jobs. We have lots of immigrants and out of towners who get these jobs.

So there is totally no reason why people on welfare can't get these jobs. Oh, there is, if they aren't applying for them to begin with!!
Not true, but I'll let you tell it, since you know so much. I'll just say if you visit certain neighborhoods and see only ONE racial or cultural group dominating a retail establishment, then that should tell you something.

Quote:
Okay, Marilyn, tell us what you do for a living and why you are so pro welfare to this degree, and why you think its so horrible HRA makes some welfare cases work.
I'm never gonna tell you or anyone else on the internet what I do, but I will say THIS...I got this job through a HOOKUP. The interview was a mere formality, but I was lucky. I don't know what my economic situation would have been if I just "winged" it. Probably would have got something in retail, if I had to.

Quote:
Is HRA making you work?
LMAO!

Okay, I've repeated this several times in this thread, but I will say it again -- if NYC HRA allowed people to go to school to learn a trade to get a LIVEABLE WAGE job, then I wouldn't have a problem with them making people "work" for $1.50 an hour, 35 hours a week (actually 40 if you count lunch).

And call me F___ked up if you want to, but I actually care about what happens to the kids. Should they suffer and starve because their parents are on the system?

You do know that the world's rich's wealth has gone up significantly during the worst recession/depression the world has ever seen, right?

I hope you ALSO know that your tax dollars aren't going to "decrease" from seeing hungry starving men, women and children in the street either.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:43 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,858 times
Quote:
Everyone can be crazy to some degree or another. And as for HIV, people can certainly get doctors to support them in claiming that they are sicker than they are, in order to cheat the system and get the welfare benefits.

Well, the free lunch is over, so as I said, it does not really matter whether I'm in favor of it. You can argue here until you're blue, but its up to people in these programs to find their own solutions as the Congress cuts funding to them.

The rest of the nation could care less about funding NYC's welfare complex. People finally are getting a reality check.
Not everyone who is collecting a SSDI/SSI check is faking. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this. I resent and abhor anyone who says I'm faking, they haven't walked a day in my shoes or understand my ailments and no none of them are because of mental incapacibility with the exception of my cognitive skills.

You can't just look at someone and claim there's nothing wrong with them therefore they can work.

Are you jealous? Wish you could be one of those people getting a check while sitting at home?

You really have it in for other people who seem to either be doing better than you or someone who seems to be effortly collecting a check.

You sound like the mental case who lives right above me. Likes to watch my every move and believes I'm committing fraud. This heffa is here day and night obsessing about me to the point of getting her gang buddies to enlist them to try to rob me, even hacking my computer. She can barely afford the rent on her 2 bedroom apartment but somehow is still there. How she does this I don't know but she disappears every beginning of the month a few nights otherwise she's always home. Now she probably receives a check for a mental issue because she sure is crazy. She's tried everything in her power to try to derail me. I just watch her trip up.

I wouldn't be surprised since she now knows the sites I go to that she's here acting like an intellectual when she can barely string together a simple sentence and seems to be here around the clock yet pretending to earn a living from home.lol

Maybe if you NyWriterdude mind your own business and stop being on a mission to disprove one's disability you wouldn't be a poor Ivy League writer!

How Long Does It Take for Welfare Fraud Investigations to Commence?

Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Not true, but I'll let you tell it, since you know so much. I'll just say if you visit certain neighborhoods and see only ONE racial or cultural group dominating a retail establishment, then that should tell you something.
Then those people who need those jobs need to get off their asses and do something about it. Form community groups. Apply for these jobs and if truly denied because of RACE, SUE them! Boycott businesses that don't hire diverse groups of workers. Above all, DO something for themselves instead of WHINING and MAKING excuses!

Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,514,698 times
Quote:
How does on get assistance from the Aids welfare program in the city? While some of the people on the program are quite ill, others aren't.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/download...l_criteria.pdf

If you are HIV positive, and otherwise perfectly health, if you test positive for herpes you are eligible for HASA. Free rent, medicaid, food stamps, and cash assistance.

Or if you ever had syphilis, a CURABLE disease, while you were HIV positive, you are also eligible for this welfare program.

Even sinusitis makes you eligible for this program, if you look at the requirements. Being HIV positive alone doesn't make you eligible, you have to have one other condition.

I know plenty of people who work in this system.

Most Americans would be shocked to find out get a couple of stds and you get indefinitely welfare. Or get a sinus infection while HIV positive and get indefinite welfare (even if nothing else is wrong with you).
They keep lowering the requirements to get free crap from the government. Period. Keep people on the new slavery program of dependence on the government...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City