Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 01:35 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
You ARE being serious? Wow, you're even less intelligent than I thought; show me a jury on earth not made up of mieses' relatives and the biker trash would would support your claim - good luck.
Actually, when you go to court you have REAL evidence not speculation.

The video doesn't have sound, so there can be different interpretations on both sides of what happened.

NYPD is to blame for all of this. Had they done their JOB by following these knuckleheads on land and in the air, then none of this would have happened. If the bikers would have seen cop cars following close behind, then I doubt very seriously they would have done their wheelies or whatever they were doing on the freeway inconveniencing people.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

121 posts, read 142,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Actually, when you go to court you have REAL evidence not speculation.

The video doesn't have sound, so there can be different interpretations on both sides of what happened.

NYPD is to blame for all of this. Had they done their JOB by following these knuckleheads on land and in the air, then none of this would have happened. If the bikers would have seen cop cars following close behind, then I doubt very seriously they would have done their wheelies or whatever they were doing on the freeway inconveniencing people.
How are the police responsible for the criminal actions of others?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Attempted murder, perhaps? Lien is alive.

However, I do not know how the law differentiates assault (actuallly, battery) from attempted murder.
Lien would be charged with attempted manslaughter, if anything.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeterman View Post
How are the police responsible for the criminal actions of others?
Because by closing off the entrance ramps they either knew or anticipated these riders would be a problem.

I'm still dumbfounded that there were no cops on the road at all. Another poster said there was a precinct just six blocks away. Okay, that's fine and all, but WHERE WERE THE HIGHWAY PATROL COPS??

Why would NYPD close off the ramps, but yet NOT have cops following these guys or close by?

Do you really believe they would have acted the way they did with the SUV driver if there were cops on the road with them?

Last edited by marilyn220; 10-10-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 01:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I'm sure the SUV driver will be absolved of civil liability. Matter of life and death. Mieses can try to sue him of course but the SUV driver will be exonerated in court. No judge is going to argue why he didn't just prefer to die.
There is no civil let out for life and death. You are still responsible if you damage someone else.

The only let out I know of is the SYG laws which make civil suits not acceptable if it is SYG. NY is not an SYG state.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:44 PM

I thought the bikers closed off the entrance ramps, so they had the highway to themselves?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There is no civil let out for life and death. You are still responsible if you damage someone else.

The only let out I know of is the SYG laws which make civil suits not acceptable if it is SYG. NY is not an SYG state.
Every state has self defense laws.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:48 PM

"The video appears to show motorcyclists at entrance ramps, possibly in an effort to block oncoming vehicles. " From one of the recent news times about this incident

Doesn't sound like the cops barricaded the entrance ramps...if true, why would the bikers need to do block oncoming cars?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeterman View Post
Every state has self defense laws.
SYG laws are further extensions. And have side things like no civil suits. You perfectly well can sue civilly in a self defense matter in most states.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:49 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Lien would be charged with attempted manslaughter, if anything.
I was referring to the ones who assaulted Lien.

There is no evidence that Lien deliberately assaulted Mieses.

And I think manslaughter just is; I do not think you can "attempt" it.

Manslaughter in English law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In R v Creamer,[16] the court said obiter that attempted manslaughter is not an offence known to law."

If Mieses dies, then the question would be whether to charge Lien with involuntary manslaughter or vehicular homicide. I doubt that will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City