Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:55 PM

850 posts, read 797,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm not sure about Chicago or Atlanta, but I often hear NYC, Boston, Sf and DC are very competitive cities to land a job, but also these cities have higher cost of living due to demand. Places like Chicago and Atlanta do not have sheer high demand of young people who flock to these cities for opportunities.
It depends on the circumstances, but Atlanta job market in IT has done much better for me than Chicago, but its no NY or San fran thats for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:

So I gave up, moved back to Florida, and stayed with my mom
I think we have the reason in ONE!

Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 PM

156 posts, read 193,675 times
Well, I don't live with her anymore. I'm employed full-time and have a studio now.

But anyway, after doing much more research, I'm definitely planning to move to Philly. It's only two hours away but everything costs half as much. Not to mention I (probably) won't have to compete with a hundred overqualified college graduates for every half-decent photo gig.

I'll just visit NYC on weekends.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Well, I don't live with her anymore. I'm employed full-time and have a studio now.

But anyway, after doing much more research, I'm definitely planning to move to Philly. It's only two hours away but everything costs half as much. Not to mention I (probably) won't have to compete with a hundred overqualified college graduates for every half-decent photo gig.

I'll just visit NYC on weekends.
Come to think of it, Im dying to go back to Austin go on a staycation.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM

144 posts, read 186,694 times
Tampa is not that bad, its a good place to start for you right now as unlike NYC, you now have your own place to yourself and you are able to hold a job there. You are not ready for NYC and NYC is not ready for you. If you are serious, instead of running to and throw, I suggest you stay in Tampa, build a portfolio, a business plan, website, a business facebook page, make contact with the local and state magazine advertising dept etc Tampa Bay Magazine, Florida Design and more. showcase your work at ybore city market and art exhibitions around the state. Establish some momentum. Its easy to start a business in Florida.
This is long term. success does not come over night. it takes time and patients. All this is possible while you have a stable job as it cost money to do these things. There's a lot of wealthy people from all over in Florida. Some have second homes there and live in NYC! Tampa is now becoming a gateway for Latin America, and is forming business links with Brazil. You would be a fool to missed that. I think if you work hard, and build a momentum there, New York will take notice.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 PM

33 posts, read 48,803 times
You know I've been lucky so far, but i have to say, come back. If your heart aches for this place then come here or youll always regret it. bad **** happened to you cuz you had a streak of bad luck, not because new york is so awful...itll b e better this time

Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 AM

144 posts, read 186,694 times
Don't underestimate Tampa. So far this small city have been good to you. It has almost everything NYC have to offer but on a much smaller scale. There are a lot of work, educational and business at your door step. Plus the quality of life and standard of living is better for you in your situation. NYC will only spit you back out again, as you are just another number like the rest who is looking for a break. I know two designers whom because of their designs constant presence in one of Tampa's local magazine, got clients and recognition in NY. Florida Design magazine also print its publication in Porteguese for their wealthy Brazilian clients. Building a momentum and promoting your work will open doors for you. You'll get recognition and the respect you need in NYC. Don't settle for being just a number like the rest. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
Tampa is now becoming a gateway for Latin America, and is forming business links with Brazil. You would be a fool to missed that. I think if you work hard, and build a momentum there, New York will take notice.
Why would Tampa be the gateway to Latin America and not Miami?

Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Why would Tampa be the gateway to Latin America and not Miami?
Much of South Florida and even New Orleans are gateways to Latin America in a business sense my friend. Also miami, tampa have huge ports that handles plenty of inbound and outbound goods that flow from these two cities. I wish NYC still had a busy active port scene.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:15 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Aren't the NY/NJ ports more active than Florida's still? Louisiana is probably just a lot of oil. Considering airports into the equation, NY/NJ is still probably the top on the east coast, if not the entire nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City