Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:26 AM

173 posts, read 460,219 times

Advertisements

Just a question...since I plan to move to NYC very soon.

Where do all the regular people live, you know not the rich or uppermiddle class folk,

I mean the bank tellers, sanitation workers, grocery store cashiers, the housekeeping staff at the hospitals, the bus drivers, the mail carriers, hell the police and firemen, cause they aren't making all that much money I don't think, and the nurses, receptionists, secretaries etc etc.

You know just all the regular working folks who provide all the service that everyone else takes for granted...where do they live...how do they afford to live there...

and whats gonna happen (who's gonna do all the jobs and provide all the services that they do...once they have all been forced to go someplace else because they can't afford a place to live)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 06:06 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,861,507 times
I have asked this question dozens of times on this board no one gives a straight answer. Maybe this time they will. Most of the people with these types of jobs that I know personally have been here for a while and they have had their apts, coops, condos and homes for some time before things have gotten so out of hand.

I can't see someone commuting from a long distance to perform these types of services the pay is not conducive for this. Some police officers and fireman are already forces to live and hour or more away from their jobs.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 AM

124 posts, read 440,599 times
You mean the middle class folks?

I heard they were on the endangered list in New York City.

Seriously, many of the people you mentioned live in the outer boroughs as Manhattan is too exhorbitant for many. In Brooklyn there's Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach, Bay Ridge, Marine Park, Gerritsen Beach and other neighborhoods in the south part that haven't become hipster paradises. Also many middle class people live on Staten Island.

Maybe someone else can fill you in on Queens and the Bronx as I'm not too familiar with them.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 AM
DAS

Quote:
Seriously, many of the people you mentioned live in the outer boroughs as Manhattan is too exhorbitant for many.
In my post I was referring to the 5 boros and beyond. If you live in upper Manhattan above 110th the cost are pretty much the same as the outer boros. This is for all those that have been there for some time.

The people you are referring to, are these people that have been on their jobs for some time like more than 5 years or even 10?

Last edited by DAS; 11-20-2007 at 06:48 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 AM

173 posts, read 460,219 times
Question Not Necessarily...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I was referring to the 5 boros and beyond. If you live in upper Manhattan above 110th the cost are pretty much the same as the outer boros. This is for all those that have been there for some time.

The people you are referring to, are these people that have been on their jobs for some time like more than 5 years or even 10?

Let's say the person is new to the city or has only been there for a year or two...where would they live...how would they live.

With all the gentrification that seems to be going on there, it just doesn't seem reasonable to me that the people moving in now haven't considered the plight of the working class folks whose job it is to make their lives so cushy...

the rich and upperclass sure as hell ain't gonna do these types of jobs...

the workers who do these types of jobs are the ones who make all the amenities that we all want and need to have possible...they provide the service.

they're the ones we call when we dial 911, the ones who take care of us when we are sick, they pick up the trash and clean the streets, they're the ones who keep the parks clean and neat, the grass mowed, the trees trimmed, they cross our children over busy intersections in the morning, they drive the school buses, when we call verizon to question why our bill is so high they're the ones who answer the phone, they are the ones who answer the phone when you call the electric company to set up service or ask for an extension, they are the ones who we call to set up cable service, they work the ticket both at Yankee stadium...etc etc.

just think about it...almost anything we do in a given day, there is someone who makes it possible...and that someone is a regular working class joe....

And I would think in a city the size of NY there would have to be more of them there than anywhere, somebody is providing the services that keep millions of people who live there happy, not to mention the tourists.

But at the end of the day, when they clock out...where are they supposed to live?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:14 AM
DAS

Yes, this really concerns me as well. That is why I ask the question. If a young person takes any of these jobs usually at first they may still live at home with their parents if they are natives. I don't think there are too many people coming here that would be able to consider these jobs because they will not be able to pay the rent.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 AM

89 posts, read 228,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlee View Post
Just a question...since I plan to move to NYC very soon.

Where do all the regular people live, you know not the rich or uppermiddle class folk,

I mean the bank tellers, sanitation workers, grocery store cashiers, the housekeeping staff at the hospitals, the bus drivers, the mail carriers, hell the police and firemen, cause they aren't making all that much money I don't think, and the nurses, receptionists, secretaries etc etc.

You know just all the regular working folks who provide all the service that everyone else takes for granted...where do they live...how do they afford to live there...

and whats gonna happen (who's gonna do all the jobs and provide all the services that they do...once they have all been forced to go someplace else because they can't afford a place to live)
I have a lot of family up in Orange County and there are quite a few "plain old regular folks" up there who commute to the city by train, bus, or car every day. By doing so, they can get paid higher city salaries, while enjoying a lower cost of living. Some of my relatives have been doing this for 15 years or so despite the 2-2 1/2 hour commute each way. From what I understand, a number of cops and firefighters live up that way because it's about the furthest north you can go and still be allowed to hold a city job.

Your question and concerns are quite valid and I really wish more people would address this issue.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,035 times
A ton of teachers live in my building in Washington Heights. When we are ready to start a family, we'll probably move to Bed-Stuy or Sunnyside.

When the city can't fill service jobs, something will be done about affordable housing for the middle class. Until then, you'll just hear lots of wealthier folks saying, "No one deserves to live close to Manhattan." Unless the dollar keeps falling and it turns into the 70s all over again and all the middle class people can fill the spaces abandoned by the rich. Anyone read that article in NY Mag?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:47 PM

922 posts, read 3,862,036 times
I live in Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn amongst lots of "regular folks". BklynGal2476 named a bunch of the regular, middle-class neighborhoods in Brooklyn, all full of nice, ordinary, non-hipster people. (which is what we like about living here!)

One thing that makes living in a place like Gerritsen Beach or Sheepshead Bay affordable for working-class people is that they bought their homes years ago, and are paying off $150K mortgages, not $500K mortgages. In many cases, they couldn't afford to buy their own homes at today's prices. However, their home's appreciation makes a nice retirement nest-egg.

A lot of their adult children of still to live at home, because they can't afford to move out on an entry-level salary.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:58 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,502,395 times
Middle class, blue-collar=Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City