Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I did not study to be a writer at Cornell. I chose to write because that's what I LIKE DOING.

Not all of my jobs are writing jobs, and I certainly have done other things than writing. But this message board is not about my life so those things just won't be posted here. The fact you even had to make the above complexes shows your JEALOUSLY pouring through.

Btw, in terms of practicality, a number of Ivy Leaguers with liberal arts degrees like myself who were interested in doing so went to MBA school or law school and are CEOs or politicians. These are things I can do myself, if I had the interest. So I'm afraid I have you beat big time in practicality, as a degree from a SUNY in mathematics (unless you are tops in your class) is mediocre at best.
Good for you and all your Ivy League buddies. I'd give you a cookie, but you're all hoarding them already. Your last sentence proved my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I couldn't give a damn if your nerdy ancestry is listening.
Me either!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,557 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHfAT6ixY14

Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Wow that was the most passive aggressive racist, classist, and elitist post ive read in awhile.
ironic you say that considering this is the NYC board @ city data, a board buzzing with racists, classists and full blown retards.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Whelp for me, the potential this thread had is totally gone now.

Op, I hope you know that the way you write and speak, including accent are the first set of inputs people use to prejudge your intelligence. It is not fair but that's the way it is. The way you are writing on this forum, does not have you come across as someone who knows what they are talking about or even have a valid point. It is a shame because I thought you had few valid points to raise but failed to do so in logical manner and backed it up with false data.

Going back to writing and equating it with intelligence, I think you said it's not my writing but failure of reading comprehension on the readers' parts. Considering English is not the first language for many people on this forum (including myself) and especially since it is NYC forum. If you are smart as you think you are, wouldn't it have been better to write it in more readable manner using your superior smarts you think you have to make up for readers with lower reading comprehension to have a meaningful discussion? Instead you took the other road and basically said, LOL i write fin3, you kant read. LOL. don't talk to me. LOL.

As for false data part. It is not hard for anyone to google for census info about say Bushwick and call your bullsh*t. Quick googling and I learned that it was mostly white in Bushwick in 50s (Italians with some Germans). Minorities such as African Americans did not move in until 70s. Just to double check, I did a further digging on census data of 50s to 70s supports it.

Post the links. Google mostly gives u blogs and wikipeidia. But its very well known (and you can google this yourself) that most of the bronx, and large portions of brooklyn changed hands during the second great migration as well as the migration of puerto ricans into new york starting in the 1950s and ending in the early 70s. Heck, urban cities up north and out west underwent the same trend (well most other cities it was mexicans and not puerto ricans. And some cities didnt see hispanic migration back then. This is for the retards just WAITING to chime in).

And it doesnt matter how I type. I dont kiss gentrifier a$$ and im not some greedy landlord or real estate developer posting their wet dreams of gentrifying everything. So no matter how its presented people here are gonna have some smart a$$ comment about it anyway. And although people are going to say something different, at heart its because I'm highly blunt about what Im saying and it doesnt agree with the fervent anti urban poor, anti black anti hispanic anti west indian atmosphere so present on these threads.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,053 times
This comedian takes on gentrification and it's hilarious!

Michael Che Mocks Gentrification In New York City's Lower East Side (VIDEO)

Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM

725 posts, read 806,098 times
There will always be good areas and bad areas to two reasons: gentrification and migration.

There is plenty of land out there. But where people concentrate due to jobs, infrastructure and etc, there will be more demand than supply. Bad areas in desired cities have one thing going for them: land. Some people who have higher standards will see the opportunity and move in and improve the area. More will follow and prices will rise to the point of forcing out the people who made the area bad and of low living standards in the first place. Since most of them rent it is very simple.

Inequality will always happen because there is not one people on earth. There are many peoples, each with different standards and different culture and different looks and desires and etc. of course in a people there will be different classes and sub groupings. Inequality is just nature. If different groups were really equal, they would be equal and live the same way.

No one is preventing them from living nicely and building nice communities. But communities are nice because of how the people who live in them conduct themselves so it is impossible that a community with certain types will be nice.

Unfortunately for the people with high standards of living, under groups will force their way in and destroy the area as more and more bring their low standards to the area. You can take a person out of a trailer park but not the trailer park out of the person. So the good leave to protect themselves and their families and areas turn bad.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Default Name calling does not argue the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
ironic you say that considering this is the NYC board @ city data, a board buzzing with racists, classists and full blown retards.

Why not address the points made as opposed to name calling and using derogatory language intended to bully people. The facts are the facts. You can't argue against the facts so you name call.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 PM

A problem with affordable housing, even ignoring how low income people would treat the housing, is that today, even the most basic building is expensive to construct. You have reinforced concrete or steel and then probably bricks (that's cheaper than glass curtain wall probably but don't take it as fact idk for sure). The buildings need ada complaint elevators and the list goes on and on. Without high rents or high sale prices these are money losing, big money losing ventures. Developers aren't going to build these so it is up to a city. And cities don't have the money. If the increase taxes enough to pay for these, the productive class who already drive the economy will go somewhere else and there still will be no housing,

That's the reality with no possibility of changing it in this city.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
Why not address the points made as opposed to name calling and using derogatory language intended to bully people. The facts are the facts. You can't argue against the facts so you name call.
I did. People still acted like such. But its whatever......I made my point.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City