Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I did want to keep it in because as you stated it's just easier. However you can't complain you are cold when you have an ac still in the window.
Actually in some buildings the heating is on so high that it is still pretty warm even if you don't remove the air conditioner from the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Actually in some buildings the heating is on so high that it is still pretty warm even if you don't remove the air conditioner from the window.
Indeed. I think if I kept my radiators on I could remove an entire WINDOW and be comfortable.

I swear, if I ever see a bedbug in Winter it will face the fires of Hell. I could get 113 degrees EASY.

But seriously,
I can think of no riskier business than removing and re-installing air conditioners every year. Even if you DON'T drop them there is always the very delicate disc at L5-S1 to consider. You get to blow it out only once per lifetime and lifting a 12,000 BTU unit off the closet floor is not childsplay.
I think a far better Idea is to leave the AC in and make sure it is well SEALED, even if it takes some ingenuity with double hung windows.

(But you cannot beat the through-the-wall sleeves for common sense.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-08-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 04:06 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Indeed. I think if I kept my radiators on I could remove an entire WINDOW and be comfortable.

I swear, if I ever see a bedbug in Winter it will face the fires of Hell. I could get 113 degrees EASY.

But seriously,
I can think of no riskier business than removing and re-installing air conditioners every year. Even if you DON'T drop them there is always the very delicate disc at L5-S1 to consider. You get to blow it out only once per lifetime and lifting a 12,000 BTU unit off the closet floor is not childsplay.
I think a far better Idea is to leave the AC in and make sure it is well SEALED, even if it takes some ingenuity with double hung windows.

(But you cannot beat the through-the-wall sleeves for common sense.)

I am sorry, I don't agree with you. But I say it with love

A/C in windows are ugly, you only need them 3 months of the year, again, other than storage, why have a dead window you cant open.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
I bought a bag at Macy's. The next time I shopped there I was using the bag. I was followed around and asked by 4 employees over the course of being there, some which asked if I needed help. It got to the point where I wish someone would have said what was on their mind to me as I had the receipt from the purchase still in my wallet. But they just followed me around till I was annoyed and left. I still shop there though.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am sorry, I don't agree with you. But I say it with love

A/C in windows are ugly, you only need them 3 months of the year, again, other than storage, why have a dead window you cant open.

Oh yeah, they are ugly as sin and that's why I have through-the-walls but they are necessary for 5 months of the year, not 3, and they are just too tedious to pop in and out and store. Those who MUST have them in the windows should make sure they are put in correctly ONCE and left there.
I think I can almost guarantee that all air conditioner accidents are a result of being put in or taken out.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If I were your LL I would say that you didn't need heat, what you need is warm pajamas and a robe.
so allegedly the discussion "isn't about not having heat in a home", but you completely state it in fact is, with this bs

Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Had to bump this thread.

I'm having a bit of a overheating situation which i'm hoping doesn't become a nightmare. I think it's a few things one we have a new owner and this is their first heating season, two there is a new super, three recently we had a few days recently with no heat and/or hot water. Since about Saturday night they have given heat non-stop I now have all the freaking air vents leaking water on my radiators and the risers (I live on top floor), and it's not just a trickle of water. I'm thinking the boiler is so amped up that it's producing wet steam, basically it's going up so fast water is coming up with it. If I'm having to raise windows now you now the people on the first few floors must have saunas. What the heck do you do in a situation like this? I imagine that after the few days with no heat a lot of people called 311 and the owner must have flipped out and told the super to jack up the boiler and run it non-stop. But this is just crazy and so stupid btw. Wasting all that money on fuel.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
basically it's going up so fast water is coming up with it.
It's not that water is coming up with it, it is that steam condenses to water on a cold surface. It will remain steam only well above 200 degrees. Thus steam coming up will always be wet. Usually the steam production is not furious so that the water produced will run back down the pipe rather than blast out your air valve.

When that valve gets hot with the first kiss of steam, it is supposed to close. If it keeps spluttering hot water and steam it is defective and should be replaced.

Can I assume you have a one-pipe system NooYowkur (one pipe to each radiator
rather than two?)

Quote:
What the heck do you do in a situation like this?
What I do is keep both "radiators" turned off...I get enough heat from my neighbors through the walls and floors. It is 37 degrees right now and STILL both "radiators" are off. All my neighbors just keep their windows open...most are too dim to learn how a valve works, and probably most are frozen open anyways. They must be exercised regularly.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's not that water is coming up with it, it is that steam condenses to water on a cold surface. It will remain steam only well above 200 degrees. Thus steam coming up will always be wet. Usually the steam production is not furious so that the water produced will run back down the pipe rather than blast out your air valve.

When that valve gets hot with the first kiss of steam, it is supposed to close. If it keeps spluttering hot water and steam it is defective and should be replaced.

Can I assume you have a one-pipe system NooYowkur (one pipe to each radiator
rather than two?)

What I do is keep both "radiators" turned off...I get enough heat from my neighbors through the walls and floors. It is 37 degrees right now and STILL both "radiators" are off. All my neighbors just keep their windows open...most are too dim to learn how a valve works, and probably most are frozen open anyways. They must be exercised regularly.
Your probably right that the vents and the shut off valves need to get replaced but I do think something is going on from the basement too. All the air vents are leaking including the ones on the risers and that's never happened before. This is my third winter in that apartment. For one I don't think it's running off any kind of sensor or control, it appears to be continually running on a manual bypass.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 PM

Do you have a live-in super. Does he notice the tropical temperatures?

If the dripping water is an annoyance, wrap some cloth around each valve until the situation is sorted out.

I had a landlord/super combo that chose to often override the system's controls, usually by just leaving it off. But then after a couple calls to the City, one of the inspectors would alert the landlord and he'd switch the system on when the inspectors were due and we would have Saharan temperatures while the inspectors were here.
When they left the system was turned off.

Can you turn your radiators off? Do you have a one pipe system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City