Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 33,891 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I check on -street adviser - say pelham bay is #30 on the list. On Wikipedia say it is upper middle class good neighborhood. Which one is correct answer?

Looking for two family house budge $650k. Bronx is right choice? I don't require school system, so prefer the property tax is reasonable.

-- I am working in grand central. Prefer subway system for commute. Train and bus are secondary.
---safe neighborhood is priority.
---direct subway access is good for me.

Thank you!

---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,955 times
Pelham Bay and neighboring Country Club are good neighborhoods by BX standards. The latter lacks subway access, so the former, as the terminus for the 6 train (which goes to Grand Central) would be better for you.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, Bedford Park, and Kingsbridge are all solid areas with subway access. Country Club has awful public transportation

Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,337 times
A cousin of mine moved to Pelham Bay 2 months back and near the Buhre station and he likes it.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melizli View Post
Hi,

I check on -street adviser - say pelham bay is #30 on the list. On Wikipedia say it is upper middle class good neighborhood. Which one is correct answer?

Looking for two family house budge $650k. Bronx is right choice? I don't require school system, so prefer the property tax is reasonable.

-- I am working in grand central. Prefer subway system for commute. Train and bus are secondary.
---safe neighborhood is priority.
---direct subway access is good for me.

Thank you!

---
Pelham Bay is not "upper middle class" though it is pretty much solidly middle class.The only upper middle class areas of The Bronx are parts of Riverdale ,parts of Pelham Gardens just above Pelham Parkway and parts of Morris Park,just below Pelham Parkway.

Best bet for a combination of very nice middle to upper middle class area and short walk to the subway is the Pelham Gardens/Pelham Parkway/Indian Village(subsection of Morris Park) area.Boundaries are Waring Ave to the North Wickham Avenue on the East,Rhinelander Avenue on the South and Williamsbridge Rd on the West.The neighborhood is served by the 5 train which takes about 30 minutes to/from Grand Central during rush hours when there are express trains and 35 to 40 minutes on off peak(local) trains.

Pelham Bay,the rest of Pelham Parkway(West,North and South of Williamsbridge Rd),the rest of Morris Park(aka "lower Morris Park" and Bedford Park and Van Cortlandt Village are all nice areas close to subways but could never be called "upper middle" class.Most of Riverdale, Woodlawn and Throg's Neck( including Country Club) are also very nice of course but a bit far from subways.Woodlawn and Riverdale do have Metro North to Grand Central though.

All in all,I'd say Indian Village(Pelham Parkway/Morris Park) might be your best bet.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-06-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
The issue I have with Pelham Bay if you work in Grand Central area is the long commute...and you have access to only 1 train line: the 6. I will agree with Bluedog and say that it is most definitely not upper middle class..I would say it is working/middle class and increasingly becoming a working/middle class Hispanic enclave, much like Throggs Neck. As the old school Italians die off, Hispanics of all kinds are moving in and taking their place...however the neighborhood feel stays the same (clean, suburbany) with more/better amenities.

I agee with everything else Bluedog states regarding Morris Park, Pelham Gardens, and Indian Village however. You might consider Woodlawn (an entirely ex-pat Irish community) as it has metro-north service and about 20 minutes to Grand Central.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Pelham Bay and neighboring Country Club are good neighborhoods by BX standards. The latter lacks subway access, so the former, as the terminus for the 6 train (which goes to Grand Central) would be better for you.
They are good neighborhoods by broader standards as well.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:45 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
They are good neighborhoods by broader standards as well.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Some say Melrose and Longwood. But at this point i would only recommend them to ppl coming from the inner rust bowl of Cleveland, Richmond, Buffalo etc. Or Roxbury, Boston.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Melrose and Longwood, while I personally think are choice locations, are likely not valid recommendations as they still have higher than average crime and the lingering stigma from decades of turbulence. If safety, or rather the perception of safety, is a high priority, particularly for those who are not accustomed to living around urban people of color, then Melrose and Longwood are not the best choices in the Bronx (for them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City