Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,247,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Though Hispanics can be white or black or both.

I think there's still a big Black presence in the Bronx, especially in certain areas of the north. I could probably count on my hand if I saw 1 Hispanic person in Wakefield. The Bronx, while having a big Hispanic population, is not going to be fully Hispanicized.
Definitly northeast Bronx. But as for South Bronx the only majority non hispanic black areas are a few census tracts in Morrisania close to Cross Bronx. And maybe a few tracts in Morris Heights.

The census might be a few years old though. Things change fast nowadays!

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 12-09-2013 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,517 times
Quote:

I think there's still a big Black presence in the Bronx, especially in certain areas of the north. I could probably count on my hand if I saw 1 Hispanic person in Wakefield. The Bronx, while having a big Hispanic population, is not going to be fully Hispanicized.
Wakefield is one area. Latino's are the fastest growing population in NYC and in America. Also you have to consider Wakefield is a smorgasbord of 1,2 and 3 family homes. Their are areas of entire apartment building dominated by hispanics. Also has rents continue to go upwards Dominicans continue to move into the Bronx. Highbridge being the newest frontier.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
On Williamsbridge Rd but not here in your old hood as of yet.I'll keep you posted.Did you see the new front on Greenland ?
I didn't just see it, I went shopping lol! Three bags of fruit, produce, and some tea.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,037,055 times
Quote:

The only black neighborhoods in the Bronx that I can think of are Morrisania and Morris Heights both in the South Bronx. Plenty of Blacks live along Sedgwick avenue. Soundview most notably areas south of the Bruckner Expressway and areas of the North East Bronx like Williamsbridge and Coop City. A special nod for the enclaves of housing projects throughout the Bronx were most of its residents are indeed black. If I'm not mistaken Bronx black population did not decline or grow either. From what its worth plenty of blacks in the Bronx probably moved to greener pastures, but on the flip side plenty of blacks who can afford other parts of the city or waiting for a nycha apt have no other option and move to the Bronx. In recent years I met plenty of blacks who live in the Bronx and poor, but were originally from Brooklyn from areas like Bushwick, Fort Green, Clinton and Bedstuy!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Wakefield is one area. Latino's are the fastest growing population in NYC and in America. Also you have to consider Wakefield is a smorgasbord of 1,2 and 3 family homes. Their are areas of entire apartment building dominated by hispanics. Also has rents continue to go upwards Dominicans continue to move into the Bronx. Highbridge being the newest frontier.
I lived in Wakefield for one year and there were a lot of Hispanics in my building. A lot of (but not all) of the homeowners are Black, but I have seen Hispanic homeowners in the area as well. Not all of the Hispanics there were Dominican or Puerto Rican. You've a huge influx of Mexicans and Central Americans.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Section 8 welfare whites are not a sign of change. Believe it or not, white does not equally wealthy. the whites that would move into that area have no more money than the people of color there.

Heroin addict whites in supportive housing are also not a sign of change.

I have to agree with this. I have seen some poor whites here in Mott Haven but they are sprinkled in with the poor Latinos and blacks who live in the community. Many suffer the same problems of generational poverty that they could not escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
That's what you think. I work with addicts and yes there are broke white people (addicts/homeless) etc moving to the Bronx. That's why this article is plain old stupid because just being white doesn't mean you have money or are a better quality of person than the people who are already there.

Plenty of homeless people and addicts move to NYC for the services because there is no methadone in states like MS and places like PA, KY, TN have a lot of restricitions and very little in the way of social safety net etc. So people flock to NYC for services and drug treatment.

The hipsters haven't decided that the Bronx is the next frontier. This isn't about anything more than basic economics.
Saw some white addicts hang near liquor stores and some walk up and down Willis Avenue. No brainer their. But again its only a small, small group of them. Saw some whites hanging outside a meth clinque near Lincoln hospital. As for hipsters not deciding that the Bronx is not their frontier. LOL. Dude what weed are you smoking. The Bronx is in the Hipsters orbit, I see them almost every day hauling trader Joe bags, at my local crappy supermarket talking to the manger which was able to order organic chickens, kale quinoa, beets, grains, goat cheese and other goods for this small segment of the population that resides in Mott Haven. Its safe to say that Staten Island is not in Hipster orbit as of yet. Its simple economics, that Bronx is near Manhattan only 15, minutes from midtown and 20-25 minutes away from the Village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBRONX RYDER View Post
Dude , you DON'T LIVE IN THAT HOOD ! there are NO WHITE METH / DOPE fiends between Jerome ave to the concourse, from 165th street to 170th street, on this side of the bronx. The clinic on 50-98 east 168th street , is flooded with blacks & latinos. Try again .
I'm Latino dude and I be out there a lot .
I have seen some whites come out of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If you're talking about lower grand concourse that's where they have the courthouses and government agencies, along with law firms. The vast majority of the white judges, lawyers, paralegals, court officers, civil service people, etc live ELSEWHERE.

So yes, the whites moving to the Bronx are mainly POOR whites. That's not gentrification and not hipsterization when they are paying for their rent with programs like Section 8.

I doubt this. I do frequent establishments on 149th street and on Bruckner Boulevard and most of these white folks there are new to the area or checking the area out. Also not all these folks who move to the lower Concourse are whites, some are Asians, artsy fartsy blacks and Hispanics. All these folks share a similar monoculture that is vastly different from the immigrants and uneducated locals of the area. Hell the other day I went to a gentrification forum here in Mott Haven, I was told that I was gentry because I make more than double what my average income of my neighborhood is. Lets not forget that white flight is not over yet in NYC and still continues. I still see the Bronx white population declining further as more whites move out to the suburbs and the remainder die off. The largest white population in the Bronx will be the vicious Serbs and Albanians who come from the war like Balkan Penninsula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
According to the census the largest gains, by far, in Morris Park, Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay, and Pelham Parkway are Hispanics moving in...Asians are also growing but their numbers are currently so low that it is still negligible. Unless you know something we do not, I am not clear why you are placing your bets on a whiter and more Asian neighborhood with declining Hispanics.

The Bronx overall is becoming more Hispanic, less white, less black...and the biggest growth in the Hispanic population in the borough has been in those neighborhoods I listed. There is no evidence to suggest that is reversing, or that more whites are even moving in besides your anecdotal observations. IMO I think the Hispanicization of those neighborhoods will accelerate over the next decade as the remaining old school whites die off and more middle class Hispanics continue moving up the ladder into these neighborhoods which already have a firmly established Hispanic presence.
I agree with this based on my observation and experience. Heck sometimes those Puerto Ricans are confused for Italians. Even in Mott Haven I read somewhere that its Puerto Rican population declined b 60%. If I find the pdf file I will post it up here. Plenty of Puerto Ricans are moving out of the South Bronx for a slightly better living in East Bronx. Here in the South Bronx I here more Spanish than ever mainly from Dominicans and Mexicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
High Bridge has been a Dominican nabe for more than a decades. Many Dominicans movedt here due to its proximity to Washington Heights. Problem is that plenty of Dominicans receive section 8, and many are on public assistance, some land lords in the heights do not want this, many have no option but to head to the West Bronx which is close to family and friends in the Heights. Another option is East New York in Brooklyn!

Old 12-10-2013, 03:32 AM

56 posts, read 148,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The only black neighborhoods in the Bronx that I can think of are Morrisania and Morris Heights both in the South Bronx. Plenty of Blacks live along Sedgwick avenue.

NO IT'S NOT !

Morris Heights ,University heights , High bridge , mount hope and morrissania , are ALL 70% Latino dude, you aint from out here .

The only thing you got right was sedgewick ave , in a straight line is predominantly black negroid

Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
It is entirely possible that Asians are making inroads in Pelham Parkway, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Throgs Neck, and Pelham Gardens..nobody is arguing that. But these communities are already 30%+++ Hispanic, and quickly becoming more Hispanic as the old guard die off. Hispanics have been naturally moving up the ladder to these communites for 30 years..and it has been accelerating since the 90s and 2000s...these communities will be significantly more Hispanic, and slightly more Asian, less white and less black going forward, barring some radical change (and radical changes certainly happen).

That is not to say the entire borough will Hispanicize..but those communities have been for the past 30 years, and continue to as of the 2010 census even more quickly. And you should note, as these neighborhoods have become increasingly Hispanic, it has coincided with significantly more investment, more amenities, and significantly lower crime rates. Middle class is middle class...regardless of color...and these communities are becoming better, not worse.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTBRONX RYDER View Post
NO IT'S NOT !

Morris Heights ,University heights , High bridge , mount hope and morrissania , are ALL 70% Latino dude, you aint from out here .

The only thing you got right was sedgewick ave , in a straight line is predominantly black negroid
Dude Morris Heights by Mt Hope and going as well as the areas byGrant Highway is heavily black. University Heights and Highbridge are and is very Dominican. Morrisania has a very large black population. Yesterday I took the 21 bus to Morris Park avenue, when the bust passed through Morrisania nearly all of the passengers were black, no Puerto Ricans, no Dominicans and no Mexicans.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
It sounds as though the future of the city is wealthy Whites, with the only working class left being Hispanics, Latinos, and Asians. Meanwhile working class Whites head out West while working class Blacks head down South.

If I am correct this is because working class Whites and Blacks are unwilling to sacrifice to remain in the city (ie. combine multiple households under the same roof, or get roommates). Sounds like a gross oversimplification, but this is what I leave with every time I visit these forums. Tell me I'm wrong. I must be wrong. Or is this that future dystopia otherwise known as Gotham?

Is the Bronx the only affordable borough left? If the 99% cannot get access to the money it takes to live in New York through normal means (employment) what does a person have to do to live in the City these days.

Last edited by goofy328; 12-10-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City