Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM

298 posts, read 707,110 times

Advertisements

My uncle has been a construction worker in the city for a number of years and carries a 4 inch knife. My thought is that attacking a thug with a tiny knife is as dangerous to yourself as to your opponent. I've read that many times when investigating knife attacks, police look for the perpetrator's DNA in blood on the scene.

So I'm thinking something like maybe a bicycle chain or pepper spray. My concern with pepper spray is that it is not very intimidating and I would prefer not to escalate a confrontation. I just want something to make Petey Pablo think twice about ganking my iPhone 5S.

Since NYC has long prohibited concealed carry except for the very rich and important, I would expect there to be numerous "success stories" of citizens using unconventional weapons to defend their life and property on the streets and in the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 PM

268 posts, read 480,958 times
Glock 23

Nice and concealable

Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
My uncle has been a construction worker in the city for a number of years and carries a 4 inch knife. My thought is that attacking a thug with a tiny knife is as dangerous to yourself as to your opponent. I've read that many times when investigating knife attacks, police look for the perpetrator's DNA in blood on the scene.

So I'm thinking something like maybe a bicycle chain or pepper spray. My concern with pepper spray is that it is not very intimidating and I would prefer not to escalate a confrontation. I just want something to make Petey Pablo think twice about ganking my iPhone 5S.

Since NYC has long prohibited concealed carry except for the very rich and important, I would expect there to be numerous "success stories" of citizens using unconventional weapons to defend their life and property on the streets and in the subway.

Pepper spray ? Are you a girl?

Ever hear of Bernie Goetz?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM

298 posts, read 707,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
[/b]

Pepper spray ? Are you a girl?
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I am reticent to carry pepper spray. I have heard about Bernie Goetz, and I would not like to get imprisoned for months and sued as a result of getting robbed.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,223 times
A pocket knife is your best option. Learn how to use one. Always remember if you take a weapon out, you better be ready to use it not taunt someone with it.

My tip to you would be:
Assess yourself. Can you scare a perp? Ie: are you 6'5 a hulking 280 lbs or are you 5'7 130 lbs? If your are the 5'7 dude, then hit the gym.
Stay alert! Keep the volume on your iPhone low. Do away with the white earbuds as this is a giveaway that you have an iPhone.
If you are going to a rough area or it's late in the night just put your valuables away.
Possessions are things and things can be replaced. Your life can't.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM

419 posts, read 626,109 times
get brass knuckles, its lethal.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,774 times
If you stab someone who is looking to rob you on the train, you might go to jail. Even if the knife blade is under 3 inches, in accordance with the law.

Baseball bats are legal too, but if you hit someone with one in self-defense, you're putting your life in the hands of the legal system.

Perhaps an umbrella would be your best bet.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:26 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
The best NYC legal weapon for riding the subway at night is situation awareness, second best weapon is
your legs to run away from danger. If you are trapped and can't run away, hand over your wallet and
don't resist, your life is worth a lot more than the wallet or the thug's life. Let the police deal with thugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
My tip to you would be:
Assess yourself. Can you scare a perp? Ie: are you 6'5 a hulking 280 lbs or are you 5'7 130 lbs? If your are the 5'7 dude, then hit the gym.
I'm 5'9" and run like forrest gump! I'm not going to fight a thug unless I'm able to carry a gun legally.
Don't want to get hurt and don't want to go to jail for shooting the thugs while defending myself.

Last edited by Jaydata; 12-10-2013 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Brass knuckles are as illegal as a gun. Carry a roll of nickels in case your closed fist needs to make contact with some hoodlums jaw.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Carry this in one of your hands:
http://images.cpcache.com/merchandis...:53266170,w:16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City