Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
A basketball court provides a venue for hood people to get together and act like animals. Basketball is an "urban" sport with an urban culture that attracts mainly hood people. I suggest you watch one of those "and-one" basketball mixtape videos.
I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt play any basketball, hence you type this.....

And its not a "urban" sport, its an AMERICAN sport.....started by a WHITE man (since you just LOVE using coded racist language) in Springfield, MA in the 1890's (or sometime in the late 19th century, cnt exactly remember which). Basketball is popular anywhere you go in the US, heck some of the best ball players are white boys from farms in midwestern states like Ohio and Indiana, which was not "urban" last time I checked......

And yet if there were no basketball courts in ghettos, youd probably be one of those people that would say "oh these inner city hoodlums need to find something to do. play a sport or something". How f&cking ironic.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 04:59 AM

579 posts, read 946,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
City Council has overwhelmingly approved plans to transform the old Kingsbridge Armory into a massive ice center.

My question is, What the hell for? Of all things to bring to The Bronx, an ice rink?
This is an excellent use for this space. There is nothing like it in the entire tri-state area. It creates a destination spot and will improve the Bronx's reputation. Can't see what the problem is.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
royal chub--the shelter i read about was a block or 2 east of the GC maybe even on 201 or 202 around PS 8. it was in a long- declining bldg and tenants were being asked to leave and being mistreated. long time tenants spoke of seeing packs of homeless in the lobby of their bldg

Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
I hate when people stereotype like that. I'm sure a lot of people in the Bronx will use it plus it will be used a lot by other people in the city and maybe even some people from Westchester. This will hopefully be something that makes the borough stand out like the zoo, the bot gardens, etc. Along those lines...

Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
This is an excellent use for this space. There is nothing like it in the entire tri-state area. It creates a destination spot and will improve the Bronx's reputation. Can't see what the problem is.
It is. Was talking to a buddy of mine from Queens last night who plays ice hockey. He's hyped about it. He probably never goes to the Bronx and soon he will often.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:09 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,255,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if you couldnt play any basketball, hence you type this.....

And its not a "urban" sport, its an AMERICAN sport.....started by a WHITE man (since you just LOVE using coded racist language) in Springfield, MA in the 1890's (or sometime in the late 19th century, cnt exactly remember which). Basketball is popular anywhere you go in the US, heck some of the best ball players are white boys from farms in midwestern states like Ohio and Indiana, which was not "urban" last time I checked......

And yet if there were no basketball courts in ghettos, youd probably be one of those people that would say "oh these inner city hoodlums need to find something to do. play a sport or something". How f&cking ironic.....
True. Basketball is popular throughout the country. Even Minnesota which is not a very urban state to say the least has their own NBA team playing infront of over 20,000 cheering fans at the Target Center. And the list goes on.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,378 times
I could see one, maybe two rinks being put to good use, but 9?! The one I go to in LIC is hit or miss on open hockey nights and that is only 10 minutes from Midtown.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:45 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
First, I just must say this, hilltop's last comment is proof that he says dumb sh** like 98% of the time. Seriously, that's one of the most asinine and illogical statements I've heard on this forum. Basketball is an American sport that is popular throughout the entire country and played by kids of all races and economic levels. A while back Hilltop was trying to figure out a way to sneak his kids into the Scarsdale school system because it typifies everything he wants. Guess what hilltop, they play basketball there too.

Anyway, I think the ice rink is a good idea. Ice skating is fun and it's an activity families can do together. kids learn things like that pretty quickly so even if they haven't done it before, it won't take long before they get the hang of it. Also, it's great because it gives them an activity/sport to do in the colder months.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
A basketball court provides a venue for hood people to get together and act like animals. Basketball is an "urban" sport with an urban culture that attracts mainly hood people. I suggest you watch one of those "and-one" basketball mixtape videos.

all you do is scandalize minorities. you must be nothing but a blackface minstrel.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 AM

579 posts, read 946,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I think the ice rink is a good idea. Ice skating is fun and it's an activity families can do together. kids learn things like that pretty quickly so even if they haven't done it before, it won't take long before they get the hang of it. Also, it's great because it gives them an activity/sport to do in the colder months.
I think this is great. Look how popular the rink at Rockefeller center is. I have fond memories of the Riverdale rink that closed years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City