Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I think this is great. Look how popular the rink at Rockefeller center is. I have fond memories of the Riverdale rink that closed years ago.
The rink at Rockefeller isn't popular due to people spontaneously wanting to Ice skate....

If it was open year round, it would not be very popular other than during the holiday season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Don't they usually use ice skating rinks for ice skating? I think that's what this one is going to be used for.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:35 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,053 times
Black people can't skate.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Lame, lame, lame.

Anyone who is interested can skate. I think you were joking, but people need to leave race out of hobbies. Its up to the individual (a concept that's apparently foreign to some people) to do whatever he likes.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:06 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Is there enough demand for ice hockey, figure skating, and recreational skating in a circle in the Bronx? A couple of guys at work is not enough. NYC already has World Ice, City Ice, Aviator, Chelsea Piers Sky Rink. If Messier was smart he would have opted for a place in Westchester. There is more demand for Ice sports up there than in the Bronx.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is. Was talking to a buddy of mine from Queens last night who plays ice hockey. He's hyped about it. He probably never goes to the Bronx and soon he will often.
If he wants to play Ice hockey, he has to go where the players are. Currently the best recreational players are close to Skyrink, City Ice Pavilion for adult leagues. What reason do they have to go to the Bronx, just to check out the rink? City Ice Pavilion, and World Ice are in more centrally located. So more convenient for everyone from Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan even and Nassau County to get to.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,332,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is there enough demand for ice hockey, figure skating, and recreational skating in a circle in the Bronx? A couple of guys at work is not enough. NYC already has World Ice, City Ice, Aviator, Chelsea Piers Sky Rink. If Messier was smart he would have opted for a place in Westchester. There is more demand for Ice sports up there than in the Bronx.
There are already a few places in Westchester. I used to take lessons at Hommocks when I was a kid but I know are several others. There aren't any in the Bronx. Developers are very calculated. If they believe this is a good fit area, they are probably right.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If he wants to play Ice hockey, he has to go where the players are. Currently the best recreational players are close to Skyrink, City Ice Pavilion for adult leagues. What reason do they have to go to the Bronx, just to check out the rink? City Ice Pavilion, and World Ice are in more centrally located. So more convenient for everyone from Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan even and Nassau County to get to.
I think he said he goes to some ring in LIC and another in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 PM

268 posts, read 481,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
lel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Lame, lame, lame.

Anyone who is interested can skate. I think you were joking, but people need to leave race out of hobbies. Its up to the individual (a concept that's apparently foreign to some people) to do whatever he likes.
Thank you

Old 12-13-2013, 06:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,126 times
I used to take the kids to the Bryant Park rink every week in nice weather - the rink was always packed with a very diverse crowd. NYC could definitely use more rinks and we'd skate at the armory for sure. Nine rinks are a lot though - I guess the developers know what they're doing. I generally think it's a good use, definitely better than another shopping center. The other proposal was also interesting. Too bad they couldn't have combined the two somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City