Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:55 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times

Advertisements

lol - ok

scienticians are out to get you, it's all a big conspiracy with alterior motives that has nothing to do with empirical data

ahahaahhahahahaha

looooooooooooooool ahahaahhahahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 04:55 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Leave it to a New Yorker to find an objection to anything...I hope you don't have kids
For your information many sane, rational adults also have questions about flu shots mandatory or otherwise. Ask healthcare professionals including nurses how they feel about such requirements and you will get an ear full.

Personally know many adults and seniors that will not have a flu shot after suffering horrible effects from their first.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:05 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Scientifically challenged people and conspiracy theorists have a lot in common. Most of them will dismiss the scientific consensus in lieu of what another scientifically challenged person has told them.

It's a dangerous trend for society as these people can cause a lot of harm with their wacky theories of 'a secret malevolent plot'.

I remember reading an article where it was shown that most anti-vaccine people also believe in other types of preposterous conspiracies, the most popular being the faking of the moon landing.

The facts are in people.
Vaccines have saved millions of human lives. And continue to do so in certain parts of the world where being a anti-vaccine wacko can be a deadly pastime.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:15 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
The argument against vaccines is almost always purely anecdotal.

There can be some very mild side effects, and some light cold like symptoms within the first few days are not uncommon. However, tons of people actually think it's possible to contract influenza from the vaccine itself, which goes to show you the scientific knowledge of the population as a whole.

You pretty much have to be anti science and logic at this point to actually think the flu vaccine does any harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
the multi dose bottles of vaccine still have mercury in them....yummy..just what a 6 month old needs.
The type of mercury that everyone is concerned with as it relates to the nervous system is methyl mercury. Multi dose bottles of the flu vaccine contain incredibly small amounts of ethyl mercury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Personally know many adults and seniors that will not have a flu shot after suffering horrible effects from their first.
And this is why anecdotal evidence is useless.

Actual controlled studies demonstrate that the rate of severe side effects from the flu vaccine are less than 1 per million doses.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Actual controlled studies demonstrate that the rate of severe side effects from the flu vaccine are less than 1 per million doses.
that's just crazy talk from not taking your vitamin D

ahahahaha

Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The argument against vaccines is almost always purely anecdotal.

There can be some very mild side effects, and some light cold like symptoms within the first few days are not uncommon. However, tons of people actually think it's possible to contract influenza from the vaccine itself, which goes to show you the scientific knowledge of the population as a whole.
Flu shots cause "flu-like" symptoms. And they aren't always mild. The idea that it's possible to contract influenza from flu vaccine isn't that farfetched (though it's false for killed-virus vaccine); other vaccines have had that problem.

(oh, and organic mercury compounds aren't really things you want in your body, whether ethyl- or the much worse methyl-)

Old 12-17-2013, 12:14 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
This is just another aspect of our lives where government is asserting its "right" to force us to do something. We're not going to comply, along with the many other government decrees I already ignore.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Ask healthcare professionals including nurses how they feel about such requirements and you will get an ear full.
Health care professionals in most hospitals are now required to get the flu shot. If you do not, and you walk around the hospital, you are required to wear a mask at all times.

I don't get the flu very often but when I do, I am pretty much near death and almost require hospitalization. And that's a health twenty-something for you. But even that didn't make me get the flu shot every year. Now I have to---but my question for most people is how is it any different from any of the other shots people are required to get? You can read all about pertussis, measles, etc. outbreaks happening across the country (and the world) because of the decrease in herd immunity.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Now I have to---but my question for most people is how is it any different from any of the other shots people are required to get? You can read all about pertussis, measles, etc. outbreaks happening across the country (and the world) because of the decrease in herd immunity.
The difference is that pertussis, measles, polio vaccines, etc. are not based on someone's guess what vaccines to put in the shot each year. Statistics on flu shot effectiveness are questionable. Those pushing it of course say it is very effective, 70% or more. Even if that's true, a 30% ineffective rate may not be worth it to risk side effects. People should make their own decision since the shot has such a high chance of not preventing the flu.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Last year 3 friends who got the flu shot all got sick throughout the year. Those who didn't stayed healthy. Coincidence? Perhaps to some but not in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City