Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
At least with cops, I think community relations would greatly improve. When you take a 22 year old rookie from Rockville Centre and throw him in the South Bronx he's so out of touch it isn't funny.
If you want to rule people effectively, you deliberately pick the enforcers from distant locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
I think part of it was to show concern for the outer boroughs. Certain areas have no subway service, and a lot of the buses were delayed (in some cases, due to roads still being unplowed, and the fact that they all had the chains on them, which slowed them down). I think a delayed opening would've been more appropriate, but hey, my family isn't complaining.

I think the issue with making school optional would've been that they might not have gotten the funding for the day, because attendance wasn't mandatory.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Give me a break. When I was a kid schools closed maybe once every two or 3 years .Nobody had any problems with getting to school in the snow.Now everyone starts clamoring for schools to close after an inch or two,especially the teachers.
That depends where you lived. My brother had a hard time getting to Stuyvesant when the C train wasn't running due to weather problems. There was no easy transportation alternative.

Kids come from all over to get to their high school. If half the kids are going to stay home anyway with permission from their parents, what's the point? No new material is going to be taught and no real work is going to be done at school. Some kids have to take buses with transfers from more remote parts of the city, like Rosedale or Laurelton to get to school or need to find an alternative to the LIRR if that stops running. Not fun to be waiting for delayed buses that don't run that frequently even on a normal schedule in that type of cold weather.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 PM

50 posts, read 98,506 times
it's a 50/50 call. i think a 2hr delay would've been better

Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfenimorecooper View Post
it's a 50/50 call. i think a 2hr delay would've been better
Again, depends where you are coming from. If school had opened at 10:30 and you needed to allow for extra time, still not easy to wait for a bus or buses in the cold and wind at 8:30 AM to get to your high school in Brooklyn, Manhattan, etc. from southern Queens.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Again, depends where you are coming from. If school had opened at 10:30 and you needed to allow for extra time, still not easy to wait for a bus or buses in the cold and wind at 8:30 AM to get to your high school in Brooklyn, Manhattan, etc. from southern Queens.
I don't think it was particularly cold or windy, that day, though. (No more than a regular winter day anyway).

Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Well if predictions hold it is going to be quite cold Monday and Tuesday, so what will Billy Boy do then? Cancel classes because of "cold"? There are at least three months of winter weather left so unless the City is banking on the Feds to help them out once that allotment is gone....

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,489,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well if predictions hold it is going to be quite cold Monday and Tuesday, so what will Billy Boy do then? Cancel classes because of "cold"? There are at least three months of winter weather left so unless the City is banking on the Feds to help them out once that allotment is gone....
This is not normal "cold". Are you even remotely aware of how many NYC schoolchildren suffer from asthma? In this weather they are almost guaranteed to have an asthma attack. Would you like that responsibility in a classroom with 30+ other kids? I'm guessing, like most blowhards, you would pee your pants in panic.
I like the big talk from all the clowns who have never dealt with children. For Tuesday, schools can be open and adults report, but sending children out in -15 wind chill should not be an automatic thought.
Also, there is the assumption that schools are properly heated and ventilated, which after the scourge of neglect under Bloomberg, is not always true. On a day with freezing temperatures neighboring rooms can vary from 85 degrees to 65 degrees. Try either one of those for 7 hours and then we'll talk.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:50 PM

364 posts, read 708,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Exactly! What's consider "abnormally" cold? We had very cold days back in the 90's and 2000's, but they didn't stop us from going to school. Parents are over protective these days.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
This is not normal "cold". Are you even remotely aware of how many NYC schoolchildren suffer from asthma? In this weather they are almost guaranteed to have an asthma attack. Would you like that responsibility in a classroom with 30+ other kids? I'm guessing, like most blowhards, you would pee your pants in panic.
I like the big talk from all the clowns who have never dealt with children. For Tuesday, schools can be open and adults report, but sending children out in -15 wind chill should not be an automatic thought.
Also, there is the assumption that schools are properly heated and ventilated, which after the scourge of neglect under Bloomberg, is not always true. On a day with freezing temperatures neighboring rooms can vary from 85 degrees to 65 degrees. Try either one of those for 7 hours and then we'll talk.
First of all have weather trigged asthma, so stow it! In fact my body is a better forecaster of cold weather than the Weather Channel. When temps drop even if on is in a deep sleep will be woken up wheezing. Get over it.

Two, went to school in an older (almost ancient) school building on SI that was heated with coal and had steam radiators. It made that place in the Bells of Saint Mary's look positively modern. I, my siblings and the rest of children in our area often walked to school on darn freezing Staten Island mornings; nobody died.

For the record there are places in the United States where "cold" even deep cold weather in winter is not uncommon and kids manage to get to school and back without dropping dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City