Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

Wow, you did it. You really did. Who would of thought that posting this on city data over and over again would suddenly drive all the yuppies and hipsters out, but it really did. Now Park Slope, Williamsburg, Lower Manhattan etc. are completely deserted. Great Job!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM

571 posts, read 791,115 times
And who qualifies as a yuppie? Anyone who makes a good living and doesn't get in barfights and doesn't want commute in from Long Island? I'd like to know who qualifies. Are native NYC yuppies ok? What about ones from LI or Westchester County? From Philly, is that ok? Ohioans are evil according to you, what about yuppies from Eastern Pennsylvania? Are Buffalonians entitled to live in NYC or are they scum too? Clevelanders? What about Floridians? Alot of them have NY roots.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
And who qualifies as a yuppie? Anyone who makes a good living and doesn't get in barfights and doesn't want commute in from Long Island? I'd like to know who qualifies. Are native NYC yuppies ok? What about ones from LI or Westchester County? From Philly, is that ok? Ohioans are evil according to you, what about yuppies from Eastern Pennsylvania? Are Buffalonians entitled to live in NYC or are they scum too? Clevelanders? What about Floridians? Alot of them have NY roots.
I doubt the Florida part except for those of Jewish ancestry from Fort Lauderdale. however most Florida Transplants I encountered in NYC were either from upstate Florida and the panhandle and not from central Florida or South Florida were millions of transplanted New Yorkers live. And last Florida sucks, why would anyone want to move there?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
This sounds like those Whites who complained when Blacks moved into their neighborhood. Cities change, neighborhoods change, people move out, people move in. Harlem used to be White, then it became predominantly Black, now it has many Hispanics and Whites. What is now Chinatown used to have Jews and Italians. Boo hoo hoo. I want to preserve neighborhoods forever, like exhibits in a museum.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe LeClair View Post
OP screed
Some people are old enough to remember when the newly displaced residents, who you think are natives, moved into those working class neighborhoods, and the original mom&pop stores and businesses were replaced by bodegas, fried chicken joints, liquor stores & storefront churches ...

Old 01-10-2014, 02:47 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
I hope the OP understands that hating white yuppies is a form of racism as well. I'm from Michigan and I shop at Whole Foods, Urban Outfitters, and get my lattes at Starbucks sometimes. I also frequent the mom and pop stores. I brought my 'culture' here with me, even if others don't consider it to be so. What do I have to do? Have barbeques on the block and light some freakin' tiki torches or something? So we can all hold hands and share our 'cultural experience'?? Fact is this person is probably obsolete and getting left behind in the dust of the 20th century economy. Blue collar or white collar? No. More like the fact you couldn't hack it and are now taking it out on the winners.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:16 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe LeClair View Post
Gentrification, perhaps one of the most controversial topics in the Northeast. It can best be defined as well to do White Americans from middle America, typically yuppies and hipsters, who move into traditionally less wealthy urban areas raising the cost of living.This influx drives out the less educated natives and the character of the neighborhood changes drastically. Delis and Mom and Pop shops are closed and are replaced by Whole Foods, Urban Outfitters and other soulless corporate chains. While some neighborhoods like Bed Stuy needed the improvement other neighborhoods like Greenpoint were safe, working class neighborhoods that did not need to be gentrified. Gentrification has driven out blacks,hispanics, and ethnic whites and as a a result has destroyed the culture and character of these neighborhoods. Many of these transplants have no culture and just accept the one that corporations feed them and than force this culture onto the city. Most of these yuppies and hipsters look down upon natives and derisively call them bridge and tunnel even though they are from Ohio. It's almost as if they think they own the city. many of these transplants will only associate with their own and will never interact with Northeasterners who don't have Ivy league degrees. They are threatening to turn New York's unique culture into that of Anytown,Ohio. Most of them are also hypocrites.Hipsters decry capitalism from their Apple computers on the Starbucks wifi. Many yuppies claim to be progressives who champion the minorities that they claim that the natives have forgotten however they will consider the long term presence of anyone in these gentrified neighborhoods who is blue collar or a minority to be a sign of deterioration. As they get older, marry, and have kids, they move to the suburbs so little Aiden doesn't have to go to school with black kids. Here, they again increase the cost of living for the natives and proceed to drive the natives and their businesses out. Than corporate chains further flood the suburbs. Pretty soon it seems like Middle America will conquer the Northeast. If you are a White American whomis not from the Northeast, know your place and respect our culture. If you can't go back to Ohio.

Youre preaching to the wrong crowd. here on city data, esp the NYC forum, this place is a mecca of gentrifiers, wannabe gentrifiers, shameless real estate developers and all the insecure, racist retards who dockride them.......

you should try diehipster.com........they'll overstand your point view there.....

Old 01-10-2014, 03:23 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I hope the OP understands that hating white yuppies is a form of racism as well. I'm from Michigan and I shop at Whole Foods, Urban Outfitters, and get my lattes at Starbucks sometimes. I also frequent the mom and pop stores. I brought my 'culture' here with me, even if others don't consider it to be so. What do I have to do? Have barbeques on the block and light some freakin' tiki torches or something? So we can all hold hands and share our 'cultural experience'?? Fact is this person is probably obsolete and getting left behind in the dust of the 20th century economy. Blue collar or white collar? No. More like the fact you couldn't hack it and are now taking it out on the winners.
get over yourself. Most ppl against gentrification could give a darn if youre winning or not. you so called "winners" move to a poor neighborhood, and then rents doubled and tripled. Even ppl who owned their homes for generations all of a sudden are leaving b/c your presence also doubled and tripled property taxes (and not everyone wants to cash out on their home). And then you so called winners come with this "im better than you" attitude.......looking @ long time residents like they dont belong there even though you didnt even know the neighborhood existed 5 years ago.....Locals dont give 1 nanogram of a f@&k if u dont wanna have a bbq/block party but calling the cops on people do (esp if its peaceful) will certainly not get locals to sympathize or even be indifferent to you. You wanna have your way of life fine......but the locals had their way of life too long before you showed up. either embrace that or get the f*&k out the way.....

Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Youre preaching to the wrong crowd. here on city data, esp the NYC forum, this place is a mecca of gentrifiers, wannabe gentrifiers, shameless real estate developers and all the insecure, racist retards who dockride them.......

you should try diehipster.com........they'll overstand your point view there.....
I agree with this. He should post on diehipster and also Jeremiah vanishing new york.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
We're 10 days into the new year and these cry babies are on their 5th thread about hipsters/yuppies/transplants

Let's run a little unscientific poll and estimate how many more we'll get throughout the year.

My guesstimate is that we're gonna hit at least 200 threads on this very same topic by this year's end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City