Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times

Advertisements

Goes into effect 2020, applies 24/7
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/n...n-traffic.html

I don't get it, why is there a "congestion" toll in the middle of the night when there's no cars? Total money grab

They claim they can monitor every single street in real time. If that's the case, shouldn't they know the % congestion at any given time? The toll should only kick in when the city is packed, not on nights and weekends. These short sighted idiots are going to kill entertainment spending and take a big chunk out of the city's economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 09:11 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
I have coworkers who drive in because we work off hours (and I also consider it when the trains are awful at night) and that would suck for them. The trains have gotten so bad and they want more people to commute? We had shuttle bus service all week rather than weekends like it used to be when they were doing work and it started so early---for those of us who do not work 9-5 which is plenty of us whether you're in health care, the service industry, etc.---the trip home is terrible. I only made it home "on time" one day this week.

It will not change the fact that there are a million TLC/car service drivers, delivery trucks, etc. clogging up the streets. They will still be there. It will not change anything for the people for whom $12/day extra is nothing for them.

I HATE driving into the city but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Everything here is a money grab. It'll be time to leave really soon.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 AM

782 posts, read 527,031 times
Where are you reading that it’s 24/7?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 AM

104 posts, read 102,477 times
Makes sense to me... this is inevitable with a growing population.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
Less cars, better mass transit. Lets get a move on to a real megaopolis! We're not a suburban city.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Less cars, better mass transit. Lets get a move on to a real megaopolis! We're not a suburban city.
the problems with that statement are:
(1) The idiots in charge have no idea how to provide better mass transit
(2) There are dozens of hours a week where cars are not a problem and tolling should not be in place

If you ask me the future of transit is car pooling in electric autopilot Taxis/Ubers for 2 bucks a ride to anywhere

Old 01-19-2018, 09:57 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have coworkers who drive in because we work off hours (and I also consider it when the trains are awful at night) and that would suck for them. The trains have gotten so bad and they want more people to commute? We had shuttle bus service all week rather than weekends like it used to be when they were doing work and it started so early---for those of us who do not work 9-5 which is plenty of us whether you're in health care, the service industry, etc.---the trip home is terrible. I only made it home "on time" one day this week.

It will not change the fact that there are a million TLC/car service drivers, delivery trucks, etc. clogging up the streets. They will still be there. It will not change anything for the people for whom $12/day extra is nothing for them.

I HATE driving into the city but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Everything here is a money grab. It'll be time to leave really soon.
And with 24 hour public transportation, people are still opting to use their cars.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM

782 posts, read 527,031 times
This looks to be the proposal: http://www.hntb.com/HNTB/media/HNTBM...nel-Report.pdf

I skimmed the executive summary. It mentions “peak”, “variable”, “dynamic” pricing.

Looks like it is NOT 24/7.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Looks like it is NOT 24/7.
That's a relief if true, but the pols have to be pushed on this so they're not forcing people off the roads just on misplaced ideology when there is no congestion. Thanks for the link

Old 01-19-2018, 10:11 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
1. Subways are crowded
2. Smelly people and people coughing all over
3. Late trains will make late for whatever I am going
4. I only take subway if I am in Manhattan or Brooklyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City