Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 03:27 PM

251 posts, read 204,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
2) Expanded Express bus service, past midnight! That would be a plus!

3) If I'm the MTA/City, I would implement what I would call "MTA Van" in places like Southeast Queens and Flatbush, or other "boondock" spots in New York, as direct competition to the private "dollar vans." Commuters would benefit from an additional "public transportation option!" I was in a dollar van once, on Utica Ave, and let's just say, it smelled like High Times.......!

I never understood why they never expanded this. I have been asking myself this since the late 90's.

Express bus service would be ideal because the roadways start to clear after 11pm (when the train stops working outside of Manhattan) and it would reduce drunk driving in the outer boroughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 03:30 PM

37,154 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Not against it, but I'd like to see a good accounting of where this money goes and that it's lockboxed for improvements to transit and absolutely nothing else.

I'd also be in favor of a reduced rate for electric plug in vehicles for several years.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not against it, but I'd like to see a good accounting of where this money goes and that it's lockboxed for improvements to transit and absolutely nothing else.

I'd also be in favor of a reduced rate for electric plug in vehicles for several years.
$25 per truck, $11.52 per car, think about that for a second. How many UPS trucks and FedEx trucks run around town, how many contractor vans and furniture trucks, etc... on top of all the thousands and thousands of cars.

Here's a mind blowing stat, as of 2014 there were 290000 cars coming from New Jersey ALONE, EVERY DAY, !!!!!

The STATE is going to pull in a colossal amount of money every day, probably 5 to 10 Billion per year so Cuomo can name more bridges and airports after his father

Old 01-19-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
$25 per truck, $11.52 per car, think about that for a second. How many UPS trucks and FedEx trucks run around town, how many contractor vans and furniture trucks, etc... on top of all the thousands and thousands of cars.

Here's a mind blowing stat, as of 2014 there were 290000 cars coming from New Jersey ALONE, EVERY DAY, !!!!!

The STATE is going to pull in a colossal amount of money every day, probably 5 to 10 Billion per year so Cuomo can name more bridges and airports after his father
Yea, it’s a massive number. I’d generally be in favor of this, but I don’t trust the Cuomo administration to spend it wisely and for only NYC and Tri-State area transit needs. This needs to come with clear, explicit details on the expenditures.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:13 PM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
From my glance at the proposal earlier, the panel estimated up to $1 billion or so of revenues. Drivers commuting into the congestion zone from the tunnels (Holland, Lincoln, Queens Midtown, Brooklyn Battery) would see their tunnel tolls credited against the congestion toll. So there is not going to be that much incremental revenue from the Jersey folks and others who usually commute through the tunnels.

That is, assuming I read it correctly.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
This will be bad for the local economy. But of course "progressives" wouldn't know that until it is too late. I could understand this more if they concentrated their transportation efforts for the people rather than for the tourist. Seems like more and more that these so-called planners are transplants from Ohio and California coming with their textbook theory trying to suburbanize us. So they are going to charge me to drive from Ridgewood to the Lower East Side even if I do not idle in traffic for a second?

Old 01-19-2018, 04:25 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
This will be bad for the local economy. But of course "progressives" wouldn't know that until it is too late. I could understand this more if they concentrated their transportation plans for the people rather than for the tourist. Seems like more and more that these so-called planners are transplants from Ohio and California coming with their textbook theory trying to suburbanize us. So they are going to charge me to drive from Ridgewood to the Lower East Side even if I do not idle in traffic for a second?
What does you idling in traffic have to do with it? You live in Ridgewood and you have drive into Manhattan? Are you kidding me? What's wrong with the subway? This is why we need congestion pricing, for people like you who think they're too good to use public transportation.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
This will be bad for the local economy. But of course "progressives" wouldn't know that until it is too late. I could understand this more if they concentrated their transportation efforts for the people rather than for the tourist. Seems like more and more that these so-called planners are transplants from Ohio and California coming with their textbook theory trying to suburbanize us. So they are going to charge me to drive from Ridgewood to the Lower East Side even if I do not idle in traffic for a second?
Congestion pricing is a transplant scheme to suburbanize you? Are you off your meds, G-dog?

Charge these suckers, like tourists who use taxis when they go on their dream Manhattan vacation or drive in on a family trip, and use that money to fix our infrastructure. Nothing wrong with that. Do you know what the stats are for outer borough residents commuting into Midtown and Downtown by car actually is? It’s minuscule.

I’d like to see this paired with a RFID transit card system where residents get charged as is now and everyone else get an extra surcharge.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:32 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Sweet! Another excuse I can use when avoiding any trip into that hellhole. Thank god I transferred out of lower manhattan. I hate Manhattan and only go there when absolutely necessary for work. Sucks for my sister who recently decided to move there. Won’t be visiting, that’s for sure.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What does you idling in traffic have to do with it? You live in Ridgewood and you have drive into Manhattan? Are you kidding me? What's wrong with the subway? This is why we need congestion pricing, for people like you who think they're too good to use public transportation.
I avoid congestion. I hate traffic. Plus there is no M train at the moment, and the same fate is in store for the L train. I will be charged a congestion tax when I am not even entering congested territory. And for the record I do take the train, and bus, and ferry, and drive. I like options. Traffic in the outerboros will be negatively impacted as a result of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City