Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,167 times

Advertisements

I'm Chinese so I think I know what you are thinking. Jersey Street and Richmond Terrace neighborhood is the WORST on SI! It's just like the Bronx, mostly black and hispanic, you don't want to walk into that neighborhood at all. One time I drove by and I had to closed all my windows because I got scared of surrounding. People are hanging around and they seem to know each other. "hey yo, wassup bro.."..DO NOT GO NEAR!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:37 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Stay away from New Brighton. Areas close to Forest Avenue are usually good, Victory Blvd is good too, but may be pricier. Email me with questions and I'll try to help. I was born and raised on the North Shore, so I know most of the areas.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:15 PM

59 posts, read 147,769 times
These comments are ridiculous. So you're saying only white areas are safe and all black people are dangerous? I bet most of the people making comments like this don't even live in the area, they're just talking out the side of their mouths. Not all black areas are dangerous...and not all black people are in gangs, seriously.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:33 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly95 View Post
These comments are ridiculous. So you're saying only white areas are safe and all black people are dangerous? I bet most of the people making comments like this don't even live in the area, they're just talking out the side of their mouths. Not all black areas are dangerous...and not all black people are in gangs, seriously.
Where do you live?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,180 times
As per the comments about New Brighton, West Brighton, etc- What you may tolerate in a neighborhood is not necessarily what the next person would tolerate or like. As a realtor and someone who lives in an old house on the North Shore, I really must suggest that someone seeking to buy a home, make a personal choice, not one based on rumors. There are many 'nice areas' where individuals of various ethnicities have been told not to buy a home or made to feel uncomfortable. There are many documented cases in Staten Island's history- so what will you tolerate in your ideal neighborhood?

If you have school age children than the local schools should be a major factor, Overall, Staten Island has schools that perform well, even in a 'bad neighborhood'. There are choices to send your child to a religious school or get a variance to have them attend the Island-wide flagship school-Petrides. If you want an affordable house- its going to be in an 'up and coming area' , a fixer upper, a depressed area, have less amenities and conveniences and/or a start-up home. I hope the blanket statements about any community are considered as VERY SUBJECTIVE.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:58 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikukumalu View Post
I'm Chinese so I think I know what you are thinking. Jersey Street and Richmond Terrace neighborhood is the WORST on SI! It's just like the Bronx, mostly black and hispanic, you don't want to walk into that neighborhood at all. One time I drove by and I had to closed all my windows because I got scared of surrounding. People are hanging around and they seem to know each other. "hey yo, wassup bro.."..DO NOT GO NEAR!
Yes, that area is horrible. I had a friend that lived on Layton off of Jersey. Not a good neighborhood.
jersey & Richmond Terrace are the pj's and they were shytty back in the 80's and still are shytty now.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:19 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
New Brighton is not a nice area at all.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
I am new to the port Richmond area and I am looking for a good junior high school for my 12 yr old daughter I recently relocated from eny Brooklyn and am not looking for an area like that for schooling for my daughter I was told IS 61 in west Brighton is a good school. Not to familiar with the area and I was also told IS 73 is a great school. Any suggestions please help.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikukumalu View Post
Okay Uncle Wong

Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 AM

346 posts, read 383,068 times
I've lived in New Brighton since 61. In fact I lived on Van Buren in 1980. It is much worse now. There are still some nice blocks though and mine is one of them. I would not buy a house near Van Buren and Franklin though. Look around a little more. Up the hill off of Franklin is much better. That being said I do not like to walk around at night and Jersey street area has become a ghetto. When I was young Jersey street was a great place filled with stores . Not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City