Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 09:20 AM

343 posts, read 254,557 times

Advertisements

Hate is a strong word

Staten Island feels like it's not part of New York, or New Jersey. It's just sorta in the middle of the two.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:41 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It has a bad reputation? With whom, exactly? No doubt it's the nicest and probably most livable borough.
Depends on what one considers "nice" and "livable"

It is the most suburban borough and if you prefer that, that's fine, but I prefer the more urban lifestyle that Manhattan and Brooklyn offer

Old 11-17-2017, 10:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Staten Island = Westeros. George R. Martin says was his inspiration.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No doubt it's the nicest and probably most livable borough.
lol!!!

trust me bro, there's more than a doubt

Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Depends on what one considers "nice" and "livable"

It is the most suburban borough and if you prefer that, that's fine, but I prefer the more urban lifestyle that Manhattan and Brooklyn offer

At the rate things are going SI will be in many areas urban as parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx. That his heavily dense/built up areas with a scattering of older places with homes on good size lots, front and back yards, etc....

Bill de Boob and his administration are determined to build up a good part of the North Shore, and Debbie Rose is in cahoots!

Bay Street going into Rosebank is being heavily built up; single family homes being torn down and those GD townhouses shoehorned onto lots (four family apartments really), something the rezoning of past was supposed to put an end.

Thank God the Savo Bros. have been stopped (temporarily) from that dog of a project they had planned for Mount Manresa. However since they have already destroyed the land (including chopping down several hundred year old trees/old growth plantings, who knows what will end up with that place.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Make it $50!

It is traffic like this that keeps me from moving back to SI full time: I just cant'....

NYC gridlock alert: Think about staying off the road on these days | SILive.com

If could stay indoors/local during the day and only have to travel late evening, overnight or early morning then *perhaps*. But am here to tell you traffic in mid-town Manhattan during the day is faster and easier to deal with than what is on SI nearly all the time now.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:45 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I’m lucky because my “commute” is from mid-Island to the South Shore so I am usually going the opposite direction of most people. Even my daily life rarely takes me into high traffic areas. I sire hate it when I have to of course, but for now at least, those days are over for me.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:26 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is traffic like this that keeps me from moving back to SI full time: I just cant'....

NYC gridlock alert: Think about staying off the road on these days | SILive.com

If could stay indoors/local during the day and only have to travel late evening, overnight or early morning then *perhaps*. But am here to tell you traffic in mid-town Manhattan during the day is faster and easier to deal with than what is on SI nearly all the time now.
Yep, I saw that article on Grid lock alert days in the Staten Island Advance. When I moved here about 20 years ago I made sure to choose a location near the train and x-press buses.Eltingville /Great Kills fit the bill.I can walk to the train that runs back and forth to the ferry every half hour.Only drive when I go to Jersey for shopping, or to play one of the 3 local golf courses.The majority of traffic on the SI expressway are the commuters crossing over from Jersey headed to Brooklyn,and then back again. They clog the BQE , Add in the commuters from SI and everybody is stuck.I really have no complaints driving around SI, it's the crossings that I try to avoid around rush hour. I would suggest anyone considering moving here choose a location near the train if commuting to Manhattan is necessary.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Yep, I saw that article on Grid lock alert days in the Staten Island Advance. When I moved here about 20 years ago I made sure to choose a location near the train and x-press buses.Eltingville /Great Kills fit the bill.I can walk to the train that runs back and forth to the ferry every half hour.Only drive when I go to Jersey for shopping, or to play one of the 3 local golf courses.The majority of traffic on the SI expressway are the commuters crossing over from Jersey headed to Brooklyn,and then back again. They clog the BQE , Add in the commuters from SI and everybody is stuck.I really have no complaints driving around SI, it's the crossings that I try to avoid around rush hour. I would suggest anyone considering moving here choose a location near the train if commuting to Manhattan is necessary.
What's up with the Outerbridge being jammed nearly every weekend? Everyone going shopping/visiting family in South Jersey? *LOL*

Know on Thanksgiving traffic on the Outerbridge last year was horrible. But then again so was route 1/9 and NJT or whatever route you wanted to take for SI. My cousins just went up and took the Goethals.

So much of the traffic on SIE is going into Brooklyn/Belt Parkway. You see this on the holidays as well such as Thanksgiving.

Yes, traffic is bad on the SIE but much of it is hanging on the "left" by the time they reach or get on the VNB so they can go onto the Belt. For those going onto the Gowanus or south Brooklyn things aren't that bad; well not until you hit the BQE, then it's a hot mess.

Truth be told more and more these days unless it is very off peak (late/over night, early AM or whatever), just avoid the whole SIE/Gowanus, BQE mess and take the NJT to Lincoln or Holland to get into the city.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:39 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
... Because it's full of white trash? Is it any surprise that the opioid problem is as big as it is on the island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City