Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 03:30 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

You just listed a string of subjective personal preferences. You do realize people are all different right? That places like Staten Island were made this way by people who want it how it is? It’s not like all of what we have around us was here from time immemorial and we are just dealing with it as it was given to us.

I for one couldn’t imagine not being able to easily park a car - for free - in my driveway where I can use it however the heck I want. I hate relying on MTA schedules for even specific trips, much less my daily life. I’d go insane. I have no interest in “walkability”. I want my home to be private and far from commercial noise and traffic. Absent the little freedom of personal movement I have due to living here as opposed to most part of the other boroughs (all of Manhattan), I’d have probably never come back after my time in the Army.

I’ve summed it up before and I’ll say it again: the constant talk of “hating Staten Island” just means that those doing so are strangely concerned with a place which should just not matter to them at all. Me for example, I don’t “hate the Bronx”, I simply don’t care for it enough to be bothered at all. It is rarely a part of my life so who cares? I get it if the speaker actually has some involvement with SI like the guy a few posts above, but if not, why the hell would one care? Makes no sense to me.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:31 PM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
I been there once when I dated an Italian girl 10+ years ago. It felt more old school Italian than Bensonhurst or Whitestone/Bayside. I felt like i was in a Sopranos episode lol. We couldn't go to certain areas because she was afraid they'd call me a moulinyan and try and flex.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:53 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie_Bunk View Post
I been there once when I dated an Italian girl 10+ years ago. It felt more old school Italian than Bensonhurst or Whitestone/Bayside. I felt like i was in a Sopranos episode lol. We couldn't go to certain areas because she was afraid they'd call me a moulinyan and try and flex.

Hahahaha!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPLduQIZFzQ

Old 01-28-2018, 06:59 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You just listed a string of subjective personal preferences. You do realize people are all different right? That places like Staten Island were made this way by people who want it how it is? It’s not like all of what we have around us was here from time immemorial and we are just dealing with it as it was given to us.

I for one couldn’t imagine not being able to easily park a car - for free - in my driveway where I can use it however the heck I want. I hate relying on MTA schedules for even specific trips, much less my daily life. I’d go insane. I have no interest in “walkability”. I want my home to be private and far from commercial noise and traffic. Absent the little freedom of personal movement I have due to living here as opposed to most part of the other boroughs (all of Manhattan), I’d have probably never come back after my time in the Army.

I’ve summed it up before and I’ll say it again: the constant talk of “hating Staten Island” just means that those doing so are strangely concerned with a place which should just not matter to them at all. Me for example, I don’t “hate the Bronx”, I simply don’t care for it enough to be bothered at all. It is rarely a part of my life so who cares? I get it if the speaker actually has some involvement with SI like the guy a few posts above, but if not, why the hell would one care? Makes no sense to me.

Leave them enjoy themselves. You can't bother changing people's minds so why even try?

Meanwhile others know differently..... Numbers don't lie and RE prices on the Rock are booming. Sales are off the charts for condos and private homes. Each of my family members or close friends who sold recently had bidding wars and their homes were in contract in < one month being on the market. Nearly every single buyer was someone coming from Manhattan or maybe Brooklyn.

Haters are going to hate, and people who just didn't know (or want to) are kicking themselves now because certain North Shore areas such as Saint George, Westerleigh, Silver Lake and select others that they thought would *never* take off, now are out of reach.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:09 AM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yeah I told her about that episode and I'm much darker and bigger than that dude. I am like your parents are gonna be like why couldn't you find a nice Paisan. The funny thing is many Sicilian Americans are part Black (proximity to Africa and all) but they are the most against interracial relationships.

I think the Italian families in Queens probably the most open minded, the rest in the NY area not so much

Sopranos was a good series unfortunately James had to go and neglect his health...

Old 01-29-2018, 10:47 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,758,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitlisted212 View Post
The way I look at most of Staten Island, or some of the "inner ring" suburban places/towns of Nassau County, and even some of the far-out sub-urbanized areas of Queens County...is that you get all of the negative effects of living in, working in, and commuting to NYC - without any of the benefits of actual city living.

Just like the rest of NYC, if you have a ton of money, I'm sure most of Staten Island or the other places I mentioned are awesome. Generally clean, quiet, spacious. You'd probably have one or two nice cars and not worry too much about the price of insurance, gas and tolls. But if you're a regular middle class 9-5'er or working class guy having to wake up at 5 am to get to your job in the city at 9 every day, dealing with grueling commutes, while experiencing a lack of walk-able/accessible neighborhood amenities at home, etc... I would imagine it has to be rough. Then when you're home you gotta hop in the car to get anywhere. I would feel trapped. You get to deal with all of the non-sense of NYC or NY in general... high income tax, "sin tax", high property tax, insane tolls, upcoming congestion pricing, crazy high cost of living. I dunno...it doesn't seem worth it to me. NYC doesn't seem like the best city to do the suburban thing in.

I know a lot of heavy RE developers and management companies are chomping at the bit to start doing stuff on the north shore though. They're definitely looking at that to be the "next big area" in NYC. I'm not sure of the zoning laws there and if they would even allow for it, but I wouldn't be surprised in 15 years if we see the northern shore of SI get developed into a little mini-city akin to what happened in Long Island City, Queens...
DING DING DING. This is exactly how I feel about suburbia New York style. And since I'm single, with limited free time, I definitely do not want to be trapped.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:23 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitlisted212 View Post
The way I look at most of Staten Island, or some of the "inner ring" suburban places/towns of Nassau County, and even some of the far-out sub-urbanized areas of Queens County...is that you get all of the negative effects of living in, working in, and commuting to NYC - without any of the benefits of actual city living.

Just like the rest of NYC, if you have a ton of money, I'm sure most of Staten Island or the other places I mentioned are awesome. Generally clean, quiet, spacious. You'd probably have one or two nice cars and not worry too much about the price of insurance, gas and tolls. But if you're a regular middle class 9-5'er or working class guy having to wake up at 5 am to get to your job in the city at 9 every day, dealing with grueling commutes, while experiencing a lack of walk-able/accessible neighborhood amenities at home, etc... I would imagine it has to be rough. Then when you're home you gotta hop in the car to get anywhere. I would feel trapped. You get to deal with all of the non-sense of NYC or NY in general... high income tax, "sin tax", high property tax, insane tolls, upcoming congestion pricing, crazy high cost of living. I dunno...it doesn't seem worth it to me. NYC doesn't seem like the best city to do the suburban thing in.

I know a lot of heavy RE developers and management companies are chomping at the bit to start doing stuff on the north shore though. They're definitely looking at that to be the "next big area" in NYC. I'm not sure of the zoning laws there and if they would even allow for it, but I wouldn't be surprised in 15 years if we see the northern shore of SI get developed into a little mini-city akin to what happened in Long Island City, Queens...
Your argument makes no sense. Many choose SI precisely because they want a suburban feel and cheaper housing but want/need to be close to NYC.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Some people just like to talk, even about places they know nothing about.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:57 AM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
Whats with the negative stigma about Italians sticking together. I live on Long Island, neighborhood Italian bakery/restaurant has Italian pop music playing inside and out when they are open. They are proud of it. I am so happy to see this because it show that they still love their roots. And the owners are very nice, youg couple too.

I see nothing wrong with them sticking together in SI. Russians do it. Jews, and many more.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 AM

85 posts, read 154,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Your argument makes no sense. Many choose SI precisely because they want a suburban feel and cheaper housing but want/need to be close to NYC.
I understand that, hence the double-digit millions of people around here who live that lifestyle. I said personally for ME, the way I feel, doing the suburban thing around NYC doesn't seem like it would be worth it. If I were going to do the suburban thing I'd choose another large or mid-tier city that isn't as expensive and outright oppressive at times. I'm not sure where that would be off of the top of my head, but it wouldn't be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City