Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:43 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
My mother-in-law is in a nursing home because we are unable to provide the level of care she needs. For three years she lived under our roof and we cared for her the best we could.

My father is getting ready to go into a nursing home for the same reason.

Both are 89 years old.

My wife and I do not consider our lives being wasted by caring for the people who brought us into this world and cared for us.
Kudos to you bro.
It's interesting how the cycle of life works. We are born as defenseless babies, and slowly turn into older babies once again.
At one point they took care of you when you were an infant and couldn't care for yourself. Now you take care of them when they can't care for themselves. That's what any grateful and decent human being would do for -as you appropriately said- the people who brought you into this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:10 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Sounds like you would be happiest in someplace like Wyoming--- not too many of us "Progressives" there and I think they have an open carry law which will let you go shoot some wild dogs.
Tennessee or rural PA more than likely. Leaning towards TN. I've spent time in Wyoming and Alaska. Neither appealed to me.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Kudos to you bro.
It's interesting how the cycle of life works. We are born as defenseless babies, and slowly turn into older babies once again.
At one point they took care of you when you were an infant and couldn't care for yourself. Now you take care of them when they can't care for themselves. That's what any grateful and decent human being would do for -as you appropriately said- the people who brought you into this world.
It has nothing to do with being decent or grateful. Young people have to work. They may have children of their own. Those elderly people who are in really poor shape need 24 hours a day care. It's impossible to take on all of that burden/responsibility.

And if you take off work every time there's an emergency involving an elderly relative your job WILL FIRE you. So you have the choice of maintaining yourself and preventing yourself from going homeless (putting your elderly relative in a home) or you can try to take care of them and end up broke yourself.

So people put their older relatives in nursing homes.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
My mother-in-law is in a nursing home because we are unable to provide the level of care she needs. For three years she lived under our roof and we cared for her the best we could.

My father is getting ready to go into a nursing home for the same reason.

Both are 89 years old.

My wife and I do not consider our lives being wasted by caring for the people who brought us into this world and cared for us.
Well, enough of the population worldwide disagrees with you for nursing homes to be necessary and to exist around the world. A number of young working people do not have the time to take care of elderly relatives and also work, take care of their children, etc. It is what it is.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is a legitimate question, every day there's 10 new threads with people talking about how much New York sucks, they hate it here, it isn't what it used to be, or how it's so much better elsewhere.

So if you're so miserable, why are you still here?

Do something about it already. NYC has its faults but IMO it's the greatest city on Earth and I absolutely love this place. If I hated it here then I would move! You only live so many years

It is not always that easy to leave a situation. There are many reasons why people may be trapped here.
I'm glad you drank the kool aid and believe that NYC is the greatest city on earth.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
My grandmother is currently in a nursing home for rehab, and she MIGHT need to stay, but I would still feel guilty moving across the country which would mean I would hardly ever see her.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I don't know I moved 15 times in my adult life, I do not believe its that hard to move. If people have real expectations of jobs that can get that they will be happy at and pick somewhere that offers them that it's not as hard as it seems. It's those that will only live in one certain place, and must do their dream job, making x amount of money that it become a difficult task.

Your title name tells the whole story "single in ny" means no family obligations to consider/ and anyone who has moved 15 times has a life I will never know.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think people on the internet tend to make more negative posts than in real life because its simply tolerated online more. In real life if someone where to whine, a huge percentage of the population would just walk away. And the whiner would be whining to themselves.

As far as the excuse of taking care of elderly relatives, I don't buy that. Put them in a nursing home, and go out and live your life.

Not everyone is born to be a non caring selfish twit even though this city has an over abundance of them. Sometimes family obligations out weigh personal goals.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Tennessee or rural PA more than likely. Leaning towards TN. I've spent time in Wyoming and Alaska. Neither appealed to me.

I've been on AF bases on both and I agree with you but thought from your postings you are more the type than I.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:10 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Not everyone is born to be a non caring selfish twit even though this city has an over abundance of them. Sometimes family obligations out weigh personal goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City