Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What's absurd how you can lose your memory so fast. I see interactions all the time on the subway and street between completely different types of people. Ranging from commenting on the weather to something they just saw, to asking about where they got a certain item or piece of clothing. That stuff rarely happens in LA. I'm not talking going out to hang out together, I'm talking about general interactions. You are forced to have them in NYC because of how tightly packed everyone is and it happens here more than any other big city in the US.

Heck, you don't even have to say anything to have an occurrence qualify as a social interaction, you could just be standing there listening to two people talking. Just from that you had exposure to somebody different's life that you would never have had otherwise
This is just plain romanticizing the subway. Listening to a stranger's conversation is not integration. The subway is a bunch of anonymous faces no one remembers that well, if at all.

Someone commenting on the weather or on my clothes is not an actual interaction. I don't know the person's name and I may never see them again.

If you want to talk about actual integration, talking about actually interacting in daily life, such as working together, going to the same schools, living in the same neighborhoods. New York is no more integrated than LA in that regards.

And people comment all the time on the weather in LA or on other stuff, particularly if its at work or in places where they socialize/hang out DUH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
That's exactly it, either it's for you or it's not.....I never understood people who leave and come back. My uncle did this recently...came back here from Florida. And he's beyond miserable here, he complains non-stop about the cold..I said to him, but you lived here for most of your life, you know it's cold here, so why come back from Florida? He just doesn't think things through. Either way, he's going back to Florida this June.

If nice weather is important to you (like it is for me), this is not the place for you. Too extreme, one way or the other. My mood lifts considerably when it's sunny and 70 degrees, and this weather has me so depressed.
The grass is always greener on the other side, and went you aren't in a place (but miserable in your personal life) its easy to make someplace where you aren't absolutely perfect. Until you actually go there and have problems.

Go the Florida City Data forum. You'll find people complaining about it. Go to the Los Angeles City Data forum. Yes, there are complainers there as well.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:45 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is just plain romanticizing the subway. Listening to a stranger's conversation is not integration. The subway is a bunch of anonymous faces no one remembers that well, if at all.

Someone commenting on the weather or on my clothes is not an actual interaction. I don't know the person's name and I may never see them again.

If you want to talk about actual integration, talking about actually interacting in daily life, such as working together, going to the same schools, living in the same neighborhoods. New York is no more integrated than LA in that regards.

And people comment all the time on the weather in LA or on other stuff, particularly if its at work or in places where they socialize/hang out DUH!
Who's talking about integrating?

We're talking about interactions between social, racial, & economic classes, and in LA there is basically zero of it if you compare to NYC

Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,500,385 times
Quote:
The grass is always greener on the other side, and went you aren't in a place (but miserable in your personal life) its easy to make someplace where you aren't absolutely perfect. Until you actually go there and have problems.

Go the Florida City Data forum. You'll find people complaining about it. Go to the Los Angeles City Data forum. Yes, there are complainers there as well.
of course, but who said I'm miserable in my personal life? Of course no where is perfect..

Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM

317 posts, read 378,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I worked there for 2.5 years after going to school back in LA and growing up in NJ. I'll be the first to admit that I couldn't handle it and moved back to LA about 6 months ago. As another poster said above, it's not for me. A lot of kids from my high school ended up in NYC and Hoboken and are there because they think it's the 'be all end all' or they aren't lucky enough to leave.

Personally, I think we're all a lot more lucky out here with the great weather year round. They say if you can make it in NYC you can make it anywhere. I say if you can kiss a lot of ass you can make it in NYC, but might have trouble in other places :O
Well at least now I know where your butthurt about NYC in city vs. city comes from. Pretty pathetic that you have to refer to other troll posts to make yourself feel like you can stand behind other people. Speaking of kissing ass it seems like you are doing a lot of it regarding LA and it's typical things other boosters bring up like weather. I would consider myself lucky enough that I didn't live such a dull life that I would just be ok with living a boring suburban in nature car-orientated lifestyle such in LA over monotonous sunny weather. Seems ok for middle age/old people (more so at heart than practical) but in aint my cup of tea.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
That's exactly it, either it's for you or it's not.....I never understood people who leave and come back. My uncle did this recently...came back here from Florida. And he's beyond miserable here, he complains non-stop about the cold..I said to him, but you lived here for most of your life, you know it's cold here, so why come back from Florida? He just doesn't think things through. Either way, he's going back to Florida this June.

If nice weather is important to you (like it is for me), this is not the place for you. Too extreme, one way or the other. My mood lifts considerably when it's sunny and 70 degrees, and this weather has me so depressed.
Yeah my dad is retired and lives in Hoboken. I'm really not sure why at this point when he just seems like he's bored all the time and the weather is crap

He's told me before "If I ever move to CA, what would I do there?" To which I respond, ""Well gee, I'm not sure what you do all day here except putz around and drink coffee!"

Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:

People complain everywhere. It's human nature. In some locales they complain about the high cost of $300K houses. On the LI forum, they complain that there are no $300K houses.

It's the nature of the complaint that one should look at, not simply the fact that there are complaints.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Ok... you don't care about having social interactions with strangers, a lot of us do. It's how a lot of us meet hmmm... I don't know, new people. Even if I never see them again I do like being able to have a chat with somebody that's new to me around my surroundings.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Well at least now I know where your butthurt about NYC in city vs. city comes from. Pretty pathetic that you have to refer to other troll posts to make yourself feel like you can stand behind other people. Speaking of kissing ass it seems like you are doing a lot of it regarding LA and it's typical things other boosters bring up like weather. I would consider myself lucky enough that I didn't live such a dull life that I would just be ok with living a boring suburban in nature car-orientated lifestyle such in LA over monotonous sunny weather. Seems ok for middle age/old people (more so at heart than practical) but in aint my cup of tea.
That's all you got? Trolling? Get real, sir. Maybe address the actual arugment instead of being a bully by following my posts and being a creep

I'm lucky I'm not bombarded by miserable people, filthy subways, aggravated 'old school' corporate culture, shoebox housing, unions, slimey politicians, and s*** weather -- all to be what people call the 'center of the universe.'

Oh, I forgot -- at the end of the day you can still have a great slice of pizza and a bagel. How rich

Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
That's all you got? Trolling? Get real, sir. Maybe address the actual arugment instead of being a bully by following my posts and being a creep

I'm lucky I'm not bombarded by misarable people, filthy subways, aggravated 'old school' corporate culture, shoebox housing, unions, slimey politicians, and s*** weather -- all to be what people call the 'center of the universe.'

Oh, I forgot -- at the end of the day you can still have a great slice of pizza and a bagel. How rich
Oh the butthurt seems to just gets bigger and bigger lol. You ruined any chance of people ever taking you seriously with this rant. Seems you have ok with living a life with crappy public transpiration with the only way to get around town is a car like a typical suburb, in which traffic never move and having highly polluted air due to it. Not mention being heavily dense and yet suburban with only small clusters of walkable land that's not even together and is a pain in ass to get to. All for the sake of having a lawn to mow and being a wimp about some colder weather like old people. Yeah you belong in LA. I don't know who you are but you sure do sound like my 58 year old uncle in FL. I'll give you his number if you want, you two will have a lot in common. Although cars actually move, the air quality is good, and he actually has space around his single family home where he is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City