Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is NYC still that dirty compared to other big cities?
No, it's that dirty anymore at all compared to large cities. 19 18.27%
No, it may still be dirtier than some large cities but hardly much when you factor it's sheer size and activity level. 28 26.92%
Yes, it's still very dirty even for it's size. 45 43.27%
Yes, size makes it a little better but it's still quite dirty. 12 11.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

NYC is dirty not very dirty. Makes no type of sense to over exaggerate how dirty NYC is especially when you can compare it to what it was in the 80s.

Today I was driving around Bergen beach in Brooklyn. Spotless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
the intersection of Bay parkway and 86th Street in Brooklyn is always a complete pig sty.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Majority of what you would really call dirty are heavily-trafficked commercial areas. For the most part, residential areas aren't dirty.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Majority of what you would really call dirty are heavily-trafficked commercial areas. For the most part, residential areas aren't dirty.

we are one block from the train station, the further away from the station the cleaner it gets. because the people that live further away, if you dont live there, you dont go there, where as my block you have to pass by no matter what.

so in one way it is good for convenience, but in another it is not.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
It is dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, dirty, grimy, grimy, grimy,grimy,grimy,grimy,grimy,grimy. Words can not express the horrors that awaits you. The only time it is clean, is when somebody is paid to keep the place clean, or somebody decides to come outside and volunteer and clean everything. It is worst then "Soylent Greens". In fact when you drive up to NYC, boundaries, you will realize how filthy the place is. I can't say so much for the rest of the nation, but I have yet to see anything else as filthy.

The subways will make your throat itch, and eyes water at times. You might pick up a scent, that has a funny feeling to it.

Because the city is like an city within a city, on foot the whole place looks abandoned. If your in a nice looking place it is tourist town, or where non Americans live. The pay looks high but the taxes, omgsh the taxes..runn runn runnnn

Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post

Today I was driving around Bergen beach in Brooklyn. Spotless.

That is one of the few remaining italian nabes in brooklyn and hope the asians/chinese will spare it for good by not invading there....

although some of the italian americans i met could appear excessively dramatic or pretentious at times, we have to give them credit for being 1) hard working; 2) smart/intelligent as a group; 3) talented in the kitchen (maybe bedroom as well...); 4) adept at keeping streets clean and pleasant. There is a lot to be learned from by the chinatown folks.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
the intersection of Bay parkway and 86th Street in Brooklyn is always a complete pig sty.
it is an up and coming chinatown, where cantonese is the official business language there. what else do you expect of it?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
That is one of the few remaining italian nabes in brooklyn and hope the asians/chinese will spare it for good by not invading there....

although some of the italian americans i met could appear excessively dramatic or pretentious at times, we have to give them credit for being 1) hard working; 2) smart/intelligent as a group; 3) talented in the kitchen (maybe bedroom as well...); 4) adept at keeping streets clean and pleasant. There is a lot to be learned from by the chinatown folks.
Bergen Beach and the Mill Basin areas have always been clean. People take a bit more pride in that area. I had a friend who lived there and they cleaned the front of their house weekly and picked up litter if it happened to appear in front of their house.

The area I lived in Brooklyn wasn't as clean but it certainly was not dirty. After leaving Brooklyn for the burbs and returning to visit family and friends I noticed that it was dirtier. It actually wasn't, it was that I got use to people keeping the front of their homes orderly and neat. The one thing, which I never took particular notice of when I lived there but noticed it more when I visited, was that homeowners will often leave their garbage cans out all day. It just makes it look dirty and unkempt. There is also a certain amount of litter that homeowners just seem to ignore in front of their homes. You just don't see that in certain parts of the city or the burbs.

Interestingly, a friend of mine who lives in Queens mentioned how filthy Main street in Flushing has become. I haven't been in that area in many decades, well before the influx of Asians. I went on Google Streetview and sure enough it does look much dirtier. It basically reminded me of strolling in Chinatown....lots of refuse all over the place.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
Took this picture in soho this weekend. Make any excuse you want, holiday, commercial area, tourists, but this is absolutely filthy and disgusting.
Attached Thumbnails
Is NYC really that dirty anymore?-image.jpg  

Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Took this picture in soho this weekend. Make any excuse you want, holiday, commercial area, tourists, but this is absolutely filthy and disgusting.

disgusting, i know. i have been shopping along brodway at canal soho, I guess.....complete pig sty. It is actually an embarassment to the residents of the city that it looks like this. there arent enough garbage pails, and the pails arent emptied enough.

Our mayor needs to address the cleanliness of the city. Funny how that was the one thing stupid bloomberg never did, was address the sanitation dept terrible job they do for the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City