Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You planning on donating the excess rent to charity?
Served! Hilltop doesn't do charity. Any improvements would cause rent prices to go up, and Hilltop would further invest the money in the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm Black, and when I lived in the Bronx I hated it. The people above me had dogs, and would let their bathtub overflow while bathing their aggressive pitbulls. Damaging my bathroom. Oh, and what about the loud rap music at 4am? And oh, what about people throwing garbage out their windows, attracting rodents and bugs? All that happened and that's why I was happy to move out of the Bronx and would never live there again. Oh, and all the fights on the ghetto 2 train.

All this nonsense makes it very difficult for any working person to want to live in the Bronx. A former friend of mine who is Puerto Ricans tells me when he tells Puerto Ricans and other Hispanics who work and live elsewhere he is from the Bronx they look at him with HORROR and start making statements how bad it is.

If running for office is out of the question, maybe you should join some sort of organization or think tank or lobbying group to fight for active change for the Bronx. It will take a lot of aggressive, hard work to push the poverty pimps that worship the above kind of person out of the way.

I think people make broad generalizations about certain areas and certain people based on their own experiences which doesn't make them true across the board. I'm sure there are other Bronx residents who don't experience what you have, but I'm not saying situations or scenarios like this don't exist.

If NYC was entirely gentrified and yuppified do I think it would be a very desirable, attractive, fun place? I would honestly say no but entirely a place with poor people, or middle income people I don't think it would be either...and you're right, there will always be poor people around.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Hence why I can't stand ghetto a$$ people. And hence why I support gentrification in the Bronx specifically to get rid of these type of characters.
The Bronx is like NYC's forsaken lovechild.

The Bronx gets no love.

I don't see hipsters moving to the boogie down like Brooklyn. There arent enough Brownstones, too much public housing full of ghetto people that you hate, and multitude of others.

Last edited by Relaxx; 02-12-2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Yes, the Bronx is like NYC's forsaken lovechild.

The Bronx gets no love.
Rightfully so.

If it weren't for the zoo, I wouldn't be found dead in the Bronx.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 PM

757 posts, read 1,102,864 times
Great, how long do I have to move out of my apartment?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
I think people make broad generalizations about certain areas and certain people based on their own experiences which doesn't make them true across the board. I'm sure there are other Bronx residents who don't experience what you have, but I'm not saying situations or scenarios like this don't exist.

If NYC was entirely gentrified and yuppified do I think it would be a very desirable, attractive, fun place? I would honestly say no but entirely a place with poor people, or middle income people I don't think it would be either...and you're right, there will always be poor people around.
I do not think every single neighborhood in the Bronx is bad, or that every building in the Bronx is bad, or that every single person. Yes, I've seen co ops around the Pelham Parkway Stop on the 2 train. Yes, I've been to Riverdale, and Woodlawn. Yes, I've been by the single family homes of homeowners in Wakefield. There, I said, it, not every single person in the Bronx is ghetto.

With that said, there are enough ghetto people in the Bronx in many areas for there to be serious quality of life issues. In Wakefield where I was living most of the actual apartment buildings had undesirable elements living in them. The more well to do people lived in houses and had cars in the area.

But overall the bottom line is that the Bronx has the highest percentage of people living in poverty in all the boroughs, and that leads to a number of social problems.

A place that's entirely middle income will always be much better than a place full of the poorest people. Anyone who has an option of leaving a place full of the poorest people always will. No one is going to live in a ghetto just for diversity's sake.

The gentrified parts of NYC gentrified in part because they were close to jobs centers, schools, or other desirable neighborhoods.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Rightfully so.

If it weren't for the zoo, I wouldn't be found dead in the Bronx.
Yes, another post that confirms the Bronx's as one of the worst places for hispter and gentrifier settlement.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:54 PM

929 posts, read 1,658,893 times
Quote:
Yes, another post that confirms the Bronx's as one of the worst places for hispter and gentrifier settlement.
My family have lived in Brooklyn since the late 1800s. Other than sharing the same race with most hipsters and gentrifiers, I don't have anything in common with them.

The fact that only 1/8 of the people in the Bronx are white certainly makes it less desirable for certain types, but that's hardly the only reason to not be a fan of the borough.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I do not think every single neighborhood in the Bronx is bad, or that every building in the Bronx is bad, or that every single person. Yes, I've seen co ops around the Pelham Parkway Stop on the 2 train. Yes, I've been to Riverdale, and Woodlawn. Yes, I've been by the single family homes of homeowners in Wakefield. There, I said, it, not every single person in the Bronx is ghetto.

With that said, there are enough ghetto people in the Bronx in many areas for there to be serious quality of life issues. In Wakefield where I was living most of the actual apartment buildings had undesirable elements living in them. The more well to do people lived in houses and had cars in the area.

But overall the bottom line is that the Bronx has the highest percentage of people living in poverty in all the boroughs, and that leads to a number of social problems.

A place that's entirely middle income will always be much better than a place full of the poorest people. Anyone who has an option of leaving a place full of the poorest people always will. No one is going to live in a ghetto just for diversity's sake.

The gentrified parts of NYC gentrified in part because they were close to jobs centers, schools, or other desirable neighborhoods.
I think some people in the Bronx have also been in poverty longer than many other people in the city. Welfare has created a dependency complex among a lot of these people. (and for some you people reading along, no not everyone in the Bronx is a welfare recipient.)

Many places I look at in the South Bronx have places saying "We Accept EBT", "We Accept WIC", so yes I am very well aware that poverty is a huge problem in the Bronx.

and you are also correct in saying that no one will live in a poor area for diversity's sake...I WON'T.

The people who can afford to leave do...and that always has been the case. You are correct.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
My family have lived in Brooklyn since the late 1800s. Other than sharing the same race with most hipsters and gentrifiers, I don't have anything in common with them.

The fact that only 1/8 of the people in the Bronx are white certainly makes it less desirable for certain types, but that's hardly the only reason to not be a fan of the borough.
I wasn't specifically talking about race...and I do agree with that.

I remember telling someone I went to a party in the Bronx.

His reaction could have killed King Kong.

But my own experience nonetheless.

Overall, The Bronx is just considered "lowest of the low" in the eyes of many New Yorkers and people new to the city can quickly learn where to go and where not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City